Fish Finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Guy's I may go to Bass Pro tomorrow and I was wondering whats a good but yet inexpexspensive fish finder for my 640 LX? Im gonna invest in a keel Gaurd as well dang boat is new underneath wanna try to keep it that way.

Buy the best Humminbird you can afford... Not necessarly a combo unit if you consistently fish the same lakes/rivers. A handheld GPS will usually work well for bass fishing unless you are seriously fishing lots of different bodies of water.

What Greg said. Humminbird has been incredibly reliable AND customer service oriented for me. I have an old Tracker 128 up front (made by Humminbird - I'd replace, but it just won't quit working!) and a 565 at the console. The fish finders work well.

Ed,

If you have any questions about a Humminbird unit I can try and answer them for you. Either post here on NTOWS or e-mail me at [email protected]. There are new 2011 models coming out so there should be some good bargains on the units that are getting replaced.

Greg Walters at Humminbird.

......and for the keel guard, do not get the model Bass Pro carries (and they are a sponsor of mine). Get a KeelShield. Go to their website find the length and color you need and then email the president of the company, Scott Smith at [email protected]. Tell him I referred you and you wil get VIP pricing and free shipping. Bass Pro used to carry KeelShield but they no longer do. The Megaware KeelGuard that they now carry is not as good as the KeelShield which has a lifetime warranty. Most on this site have the KeelShield and there is a reason (other than the fact I steered them there). I have installed a lot of them myself....right Mac?:eek::lol:

TOXIC

You guys are truly amazing...I feel privilidged to be a member of this site.

I cant thank you enough..I'll do the keel gaurd deal and Hummingbird.

Toxic... do they make a skeg guard? I'm thinking of needing both skeg and Kell guard for mine....

Thanks

Keel Shield is the way to go. Case in point, I had another brand factory installed on my boat, and the manufacturer is not willing to uphold the "lifetime" warranty on my model of keel guard.

So, keel shield all the way!!!

Carlos

PS removing the remenants of the adheasive that still works SUCKS!

Mr.Walters,

What about the Humminbird 535 Fish Finder..It says mount the transducer at Transon or in Hull...Can you explain to me best places to mount the transducers also.

Ed,

The 535 is a good basic sonar unit. We have not made them since the 2009 model year though so its almost two years out of production but we warranty from the date of purchase so keep your receipt just in case you need it. We make more feature laden basic units now so you may opt to hold off and put a few more dollars with it and get more band for your buck. The 500 series units, 535 among them, all get produced on the same manufacturing lines as the more expensive units and have to meet the same tests as well, so its not like it is a second class unit

I've decided to go with the Hummingbird 550 I can get it at Cabellas for 129.00 and get 30 bucks back right now...Seems like a alot of fishfinder for a 100 bucks. Any body have any thing to share about these?

Latest posts

Back