New, old member.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmaxdad

Reaction score
Greetings from Central Iowa. My Nitro is almost thirty years old, but still fishes like she was new. I've had her about twenty years and have done a lot of upgrades and upkeep. She's like my wife, can't afford to replace her. I used to belong to the site many years ago, but life and work got in the way of my fishing and Nitro. Now I'm retired and put off mowing the grass to go fishing. I'll try to keep up with you guys now.
Jim T.

Chobeemauga, your username sounds a lot like Chickamauga. Any connection?
What year is your Nitro, looks familiar?
Been raining on and off the last couple of days, so I haven't made it out to get any pics. My poor boat has no garage so she sits in the driveway 365. I might have some pics in my phone somewhere, I'll have to look.
Thanks for asking.
Jim T.

Chobeemauga, your username sounds a lot like Chickamauga. Any connection?
What year is your Nitro, looks familiar?
Been raining on and off the last couple of days, so I haven't made it out to get any pics. My poor boat has no garage so she sits in the driveway 365. I might have some pics in my phone somewhere, I'll have to look.
Thanks for asking.
Jim T.

Yes, I primarily fish Chick. I grew up on Okeechobee. So a mashed the two up.

I have 93 Nitro and 92 Evinrude. 180TF. I recently put a new transom, jackplate, trolling motor, hydro steering, and electronics. I did a write up on it. I was out of commission for over a year doing all that as I had time.

New carpet and a trolling motor recessed foot pedal tray is next.

Got to love owning a boat....

I didn't realize that Chobee was for Okeechobee, but I was never accused of being bright.
I fished the big O a few times, years ago. I had a mother in law that lived just outside Clewiston. I even spent a week at Roland Martin's place. Also had the opportunity to fish the chic. Spent a week in the fall of 2020. It was on my bucket list.
My old Nitro is a 93 170tf. So the layout is familiar, still got the original Mariner 115 it came with.
I installed a recessed foot pedal tray a couple of years ago, you will be very pleased. Much easier to control and much less fatigue.

Grew up in Pompano. When I was a kid my dad, who was not really a fisherman but one of those Dads who would do anything for his kids, would take me to Canal point in the 60's to Speck fish at the Lock. As years went by me and my wife would go up there and fish the shore or in our 13ft Whaler. Around 2000 I sold my last salt boat and a couple of us bought RV's and plopped them in an RV park in Lakeshore for around 15 years. We actually had a waterfront lot we were going to build on for retirement.....but the hurricanes killed the area so we sold in Pompano and the lake lot and ended up in western NC. A place I have also visited frequently for 60 years. I will tell you this.......if you, or anyone else, ever complains about fishing quality on the Big O.......come up here and fish Fontana. This has to be the worst body of water, fresh, salt, canals, golf courses, you name it, from Minnesota to Florida, that I have ever dropped a line in. From the time I was 10 I have caught a grand total of 5 fish....and three were trout we caught shore fishing by the boat ramp :)

Fishingfool,
Fontana sounds like saylorville lake here in Iowa. Last time I fished it was a tournament. Only twenty two boats, but that's forty four fisherman. Only two fish were weighed in. One was 1.6lb barely squeaked past the fifteen inch minimum, and a 2.3lb that took big fish and big stringer.
I love hearing stories like yours.
May your next cast be your P.B.
Jim T.

my 93 nitro is a 160TF Rick Clunn edition

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
true, the only thing i've replaced is the fish finder ( buddy walked into it and broke it) lol. Had it detailed last yr. now i hate to put it in the water and ruin the shine. lol

Latest posts

Back