First tourney last Saturday . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I fished my first tournament for the year this past Saturday at Lake Murray (near Columbia, SC). I'm not sure where I placed, but I put some fish in the back of the boat.

It was the first SC Federation Tournament, with around 42 boats on tap. Weather was just plain nasty. It stayed in the low 40's all day long, with a 3-5 mph breeze after mid-morning. And by the way, it rained the entire day. As I left my motel, it was dry (4:30AM), but by the time I got to check-in, it was sprinkling, then raining. Never stopped the entire day.

I drew a good partner/boater, who had been practicing and was on fish. Also, fished a style that I enjoyed. I put the first two in the boat early, using a Lucky Craft pointer minnow - Ghost color (actually it's clear). Most of my fish were up really shallow, near the bank. Partner started putting fish in the boat on a yo-zuri rattlin' vibe (rattle trap type), in blue/chrome. After he put his fourth in the boat, I borrowed one.

Couldn't get the bass to hit any of my other crankbaits or rattle-traps. I liked the yo-zuri for it's a little heavier (5/8 oz), and you can cast it a mile.

Our pattern, was dragging either the jerkbait or the rattle trap over the tops of grass, in 15-20 feet of water. Hardest part was that only about 1 of 4 casts, didn't result in a lettuce sandwich coming back to the boat.

I was cold and wet (somewhat), so I left not too long after I weighed in. My three went about 5.5 lbs total, and my partner had 5 for about 11.5 lbs. I won't know where I placed till later in the week, but judging on the weights and zero's being put up, I may wind up in the top 20-30 points wise. Good start for the year.

Only problems I had with the weather was that while running, I would get some rain hitting on my lower face/neck, then dripping down my chest. I was somewhat 'damp' later in the day. Also, need better footwear or covers. My feet were just cold/wet by the end of the day.

I would have paid good money for a 100 mph suit on Saturday. Partner had a Cabelas suit on. It looked pretty good.

Fishing Lake Greenwood (SC), with my local club this Saturday. Forecast is for warmer conditions, but may be wet again.

Tex

Tex

Good deal Tex...how many more Federation Tournys you going to fish this year?? I may have to look into the Yo-Zuri cranks when i get a chance. Locate some fish for me and you!! Cant wait untill I get to Charlotte!

Donnie

Michael,

We launched from the State Park, and ran straight across the lake from there. We stayed in that area, most of the time, but would run back across the main lake to some spot's just on the other side.

We never saw many boats most of the day. I think most boats either ran up the river, or went down the lake. I think that if I either would have stuck to the jerk bait, or switched to the yo-zuri sooner, I may have limited out also. If you are interested, I can email you some gps points, to zero you in a little closer. Let me know.

Donnie - I'm going to fish all 6 of them this year. Next month, it's on Clark's Hill on the GA/SC border near Augusta. Six total, always on the second Saturday of the month.

Tex

A tip about running in the rain and cold.

If your the non boater, and it's OK with your boater partner, sit on the floor facing the back of the boat. Rain and wind goes right over your head!

Most bass boats actually have an ideal floor layout for you to sitright in the middle of the boat with your back to the front deck. Try it some time.

Just looked at the overall results for the Murray trip. I finished 30th out of 76 boaters, getting 221 points towards the championship (250 max if you win a tournament).

I'm in decent shape, as you can drop one of the 6 tournaments, in the final tally. Took 16 lbs. to win, and a little over 11 to get a check. Big fish was 7.92 lbs, with second big fish at 6.81 lbs.

Eighteen (18) anglers zero'd.

Tex

Latest posts

Back