First time out tips

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Went to the river Saturday to fire up the old girl for the first time this year. Went through my usual prelaunch routine. Then got in the boat and went to start it.....keys! Left them in the truck. So I got them and THEN go to start the boat......nothing. Now I had just replace my plugs the night before and topped my tank off with ring free and fresh gas. Tried a good 6 times and nothing. Just when I figured I'd have to pull her out and go home for some starting fluid (thought maybe I had put in too much fogging oil) it occurred to me....it HAS been a few months since I've done this. Motors run a LOT better when you turn the KILL SWITCH to ON!

VROOOOM!!! Purrin' like a kitten. A very big, mean, gas eatin machine kitten. And SMOKE! Until that oil burned off, you'd a thought I was on fire. But she ran like a top. 66 mph on the gps. That ultra cold water, 42 F, was great for the motor, but water is also a LOT more dense at that temp and adds a lot more drag/friction coeffecient to the lower unit and pad in the water. Plus I had a full tank.

In May, with water temps in the low 60's, a brisk morning about 50 (for good cool air to cool the engine) and a 1/2 tank, I'll hit 69 mph! Can't wait.

Anyway, the perch fishing was OK. Some slabbers, but a LOT of dinks. That's OK, at least I know the cormorants are getting them all.

I didnt even get to that part and said in my mind hook the kill switch up....

You would be AMAZED at how many people forget to!

Mini

Rob i did the same thing on sat, i cranked and cranked then i realised the switch was off.

I usually get my PFD out and hook it up for the day right off, but hadn't yet. That was the flaw in my usual routine that caused me the error. Missed a step.

I did the same thing but worse.. Out in the middle of the river, stopped cause motor sounded odd. ( this was when I first got the new boat ). Got up and pulled cowling, looked around, sat back down to re-start motor and NOTHING, DEAD. Fear sets in, I call Boat US from my cell, they call tow company and give them my GPS location. They ask me if I am in a safe area, and to drop my anchor and wait for callback from tow company.

I pulled anchor out and tie off and drop it,, woops tied off wrong line, so I am holding anchor, trying to untangle my mess, and I hear plop.. ( my cell phone going into the river.) So now I am realy stressed and the tied is going out, and I am dead in the river with no phone. So I figure I have 2 choices, get the motor started or use the T-motor to make it the shore,, when all of a sudden it dawns on me that I pulled the KILL switch cable, boy did I feel stupid. Got back the ramp called the tow company from the tackle shop. My stupidity cost me 300.00 cell phone.

thought you guys would enjoy that little story..

My last trip to Canada, I knew the plugs were close to needing replaced, so I took some new ones up with me. Sure enough, went out one evening and the motor wouldn't start. So, at the dock, in the rain, I begin changing out the plugs, get it all done and still nothing. I am sitting there scratching my head and out of the corner of my eye I see a couple of the guys at the picture window laughing. I flicked the switch, pulled out and gave them the one finger salute. They got me. They were using the camp boats, so that night I unplugged their fuel line from the tank but left it on enough so it looked attached. They idled at the dock, then stalled, they pulled the rope for about 20 minutes before the lodge owner came over, checked the fittings and fired it right up.

Rich D

Latest posts

Back