First Run with the Tundra

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Hi guys been gone a while. I Finally got home after almost a month of travel. My new Tundra had been sitting for a couple of weeks in the Bass Pro Shop parking lot so I brought it home Friday. I spent this afternoon breaking in the 150 Optimax. Everything is great. The only fly in the ointment is some white overspray on the trailer.

I do have a question for you Mercury owners. I know the pito tube is located on the engine as compaired to a seperate tube. My speedo isn't near right. I know they are accurate but when it came time to finally giver er hell the boat took off but the speedometer went to 35 mph then stopped as the boat continued to accelerate. The lake was real rough due to boat traffic but two or three trys and the speedo went to further than 35mph.

Bass Pro is rewarding my absence with a full schedule so who knows how long it'll be before I can take the Tundra I'll talke to the techs tomorrow but just want to sound u all out.

I case I didn't mention it. My walleye trip to Mobrigde was a rousting success. Lots of 18 to 20 inch fish on crawlers and floating jigs wow was that nice.

My trip to Washington was ok but the heat wave killed the walleye fishing so I fished a lake in front of my Brother in laws lake house with Don Foss. Caught perch. Kokanee salmon, cutthroat, crappie and largemouth in 60 + perfectly gin clear water. Had moose swimming next to the boat.

I got some great WWII stories from Don. Some Pappy Boyinton lore, Joe Foss stories etc.

Anyway

Fatrap

Hey Mike they have anything to say about me??????? BWhahahahhah...JR

Jr.

Should they have???? Your not THAT old are you????? I'll post a couple of photos once I get a chance to get them on the puter. I asked Cnl Foss to go on our annual Mobridge trip next year he'd like to. I hope his excellent health holds.

One of the neat things he told me was that Pappy Boyington was a champion arm wrestler. He broke several other guys arms in contest. Also liked to wrestle.

fatrap

Mike - Great news, and even better with FISH!!

On my 115 merc the speedo tube opening is in the lower unit facing the bow of the boat (if the motor is turned straight) just above I think the bullet its centered in the lower unit, and about the size of a toothpick. When my old one got stopped up (speedo didn't work) i just took a drill bit and manual turned it in/out and did the job.

Trep

Thanks Trep. Maybe there is paint or something partically obstructing it.

fatrap

Tox

I will post some pics soon. Things have been a little complicated here lately.

fatrap

Mike... next Spring tow that beauty over here and pick me up and then we'll go scare Neeley and Co... And, catch some great eyes on the Detroit River... I'll teach you how to handline and show you why they like that setup on the Detroit

You have a kicker on it?

Greg

No kicker on it. The service manager said the Opti can get a chip so it can run at 500 rpm smooth and clean he perfered i do that instead of adding the kicker. He claims the kicker offsets the balance if you have a really heavy load on the same side.(he meant a really fat partner) but in defense of my rig the only one he'd rigged before was one with a 115 hp not a 150. The guy brought it back because it was planning squirrley.

Anyway. I'd love to fish the Detroit River. Where is it??

fatrap

The Detroit River is in Neeley's backyard... I will have Eric Scheulke talk to you again... He can discuss the Tundra, kickers and the Smart Gauge option on the Opti... There is also a fuel consumption issue and there is the "carbon buildup"...

The Detroit River harbors some monster walleyes... swift current... big fish...:rolleyes:

Nothing like the Detroit River's "Miracle Mile" on a busy weekend day to turn a boy into a man,..or an inadequately rigged boat into a pile of "WTF?!",..or a "Southern "PRO" who's never driven a boat in waves bigger than 2 ft into a drooling, babbling, white knuckled, terrified, born again, get me the #$#$ outa here, christian angler".......or a poorly manufactured substandard quality rig into.......structure!!:blink:

C'mon up fella's.....one trip thru "The Mile" and you'll think the biggest roller coasters at Cedar Point are just skate board jumps!!:eek:;):rolleyes:

Mac...

I'll let you come on over to Green Bay on a fair blow... Try trolling in 4-6footers... Not for the feint of heart or BassBoats in any configuration! That Tundra of his and my old Tracker Magna (deep as a Lund Tyee with a fully barricaded splashwell) do okay...:D

Well 4-6 footers are reasonable... Read down on the attached article about day 2 of last year's FLW League Finals out on the Bay of Gren Bay...

You will see this short statement; "Anglers were battered by a strong cold front that passed through the area around mid morning, dumping rain and stirring up 8- to 9-foot waves." in the article linked below.

My friend, Rob Liszek and his partner were so beat up that they could not get back in... broke the winshield off of a 20' PolarKraft Deep V. They opted to spend the night in a camping trailer on Chambers Island in the Bay...

We are a "hearty breed"... and sort of stupid... 8-9 foot waves... fished at 4 degrees for a high for the day... Best time around here is in November, after Thanksgiving to fish at night on the upper part of Green Bay... always in rain, sleet, snow or worse..

And, for a final thought... One of my most cherished "trophies" is a homemade one awarded to me and my partner during a November tournament on the Mississippi River for having constructed the best snowman in the boat for the two days... Enough snow on the bow deck of my 19 ft boat during the second day to create three nice round balls to construct a 3' tall snowman!

http://walleyeleague.flwoutdoors.co...d=7&did=30&tyear=2006&tid=5580&tday=2&atype=0

4-6ftrs??...Not that big of a deal when they;re all coming from the same direction and 40ft apart.....the winner of the FLW 2 weeks ago on Erie was fishing in those out of a 20ft Ranger...oh..and he is 59yrs old!! But the Miracle mile is a whole different animal...they get to be 4-6 feet (or bigger) and coming from all directions....it's boat traffic wakes bouncing off of seawalls on both the US and Canadian shorelines....VERY VERY nasty stuff!!! Try it sometime.....you'll look at Green Bay the next time as, rather,....tame!! LOL;)

What is so "special" about 59 yrs old? As they say... I have exceeded that... LOL And we have our "Miracle Mile" places... It is a pain to fish in those spots...

Nothing special about 59,....it just proves that even a "seasoned veteran" will outfish the young guns in BIG water and BIG waves if he/she knows what they're doing. Watch that Det.Rvr FLW tournament on TV when it's on (coming up Aug.26th and Sept 2nd).....you will FREAK at some of the conditions they'll show!! Steve Clapper who won it,....was able to stay on deep humps (20-25ft) in 5ft waves and 30mph winds in Lk. Erie and he avg'd over 22lbs/day for 4 days in a row!! THAT GUY is a stud!!! I was sitting in the front row (had a media pass) at the weigh-in on the final day, so I'll get some TV time in the crowd shots,.....look for the Yamapimp in the front row!! LOL ;):rolleyes: Man I love this sport...if Clapper can still do it at 59...there's still hope for me!! :lol::lol::rolleyes:

We have some "Geezers" on the walleye side who do well now and then... But, I do one FLW Tour event a year, 7-10days, and I am dead tired at the end. The old guys I know in the game are quite ready to admit they can't prefish 12-14 hours a day for 5 or 6 days and then do a 4 day tournament... Man, I get off the water... Hit a Denny's (or it's ilk) and have a "light" supper... Rig and redo the boat and I am in bed... 8 hours of sleep if I am lucky and I want to nap in the boat!!!

Latest posts

Back