My Tundra tried to kill me

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I finally got the Tracker Tundra on the water this afternoon but it almost turned tragic. I was parking the truck when I noticed the boat was drifting away from the dock. Apparently my knot wasn"t secure.( how many times have I tied it!!)So by the time I ran down to the dock it was just out of reach. KNOWING it was stupid but figuring I could do this anyway, I dropped my wallet, shoes, and cell on the dock and went after it. The boat just staying out reach for the longest time. Exhausted and knowing I was in trouble I got next to the boat only to realize this wasn't my old Nitro it was a Tundra and I couldn't reach over the high side and grab something to pull myself in with. My bluejeans weighed about 50 pounds and was pulling me under. as I was near the bow I managed to get around to the side that was at least heading my way figuring the boat would just push me along until I could get to the lower unit. WRONG. The damn thing just pushed me under the boat where I got trapped by the keel. Sucking water into my lungs the boat went over the top of me and I floundered to the surface got a lungfull of air and decided to let the boat go and maybe try and save myself. Resorting to training taught long ago I flapped my shirt to trap air giving me boyancy and started kicking for shore now about 100 yards away. Couldn't breath well as I was still choking on water I just tried to relax and keep the shirt inflated and maintaining a kick with my legs still in the heavy pants. Fortunately I got to where I could touch bottom and walked out on the beach into the parking lot and dropped to my knees then puked and coughed up some Lake Manawa lake water.

I'd been in the water about 20 minutes. It was 58 degrees and I was frozen. About this time a couple trolling for walleyes rounded the corner. I yelled at them to help me get my boat and they pulled in their lines and loaded me up. We pull along side my wayward boat with the Optimax still gleefully chugging away. I readied myself to jump in and take control. As it was very choppy I lost balance as I stepped aboard falling backwards. My right pants leg slid onto the throttle shaft and I fell backward hitting my head on the rescuing couple's boat. Now I'm stunned, hanging backward over the side of my boat head under water once again sucking water trapped upside down. Luckily,if you want to calle it luck, my pants leg tore releasing my leg and let me fall once again into the drink. The kindly couple fished me out and I made the transfer this time without incident. I thanked my rescuer's and flopped to the bottom of my boat.

So I'm shaking like a poodle chilled to the bone and fish out my rain gear and a sweatshirt, strip and change to dry clothes. After warming up in the bottom of the boat still coughing up water what was my next move? Pulled into a ajoining canal and caught some crappies and a small walleye.

DO I NEED TO POINT OUT THE LESSON HERE???? I KNEW better and STILL risked my life. What a dumb****! Luck and somemore luck and my long past Navy and diver training on not to panic got me through this stupid ordeal.

fatrap

WOW, good reminder to always be safe. Glad you're OK and at least you were able to wet a line the proper way on your outing.

Fatrap,

If we were face to face I would make an Air Force comment about a Navy guy who can't tie a knot! ;)But since sarcasm does not always come across in a typed post, I will just say "glad you're OK". As many times as my dad said never jump for the dock, I still find myself stepping a little too far out of the boat sometimes. In the heat of the moment we tend to forget our common sense, thanks for taking the time to tell your story. I know it will go through my mind Saturday, think I will take the time to use that second line at the dock...

GEEZuz 'Rap,....That could've been MUCH worse,...glad you're okay!! :blink:;)

Mac

First the scolding....... I would expect this post from a newbie not you!! And you are a cold weather fisherman ta-boot!! Holy Crap Mike, what the hay were you thinking??? Manawa water can kill you without falling in it, let alone ingesting it!! Lesson learned? Don't forget it.

Second, Praise the Lord you are OK.

TOXIC

Dang Fatrap...glad your O.K Buddy:wacko:

That's scary stuff and reminders to us ALL!;)

Wow! We are all glad that you came out of it okay, but we may need to nominate you for this years Darwin Awards. The amazing part is that after all that, you still went fishing!

I did one of those 'similar' things a few years ago, but didn't wind up in the water. Pre-fishing for a tourney and was coming back to the dock to tie up. Motor idling in neutral and I was 'coasting' to the dock - standingon the deck with a short (4') tie off rope in my hand. Went to step from the deck to the dock and realized the boat had bumpled off the dock and was going the other way (while I was in mid-step). Luckily, I simply let go of the rope and let it drift back out in the open water. About 10 minutes later another tourney angler that was pre-fishing gave me a lift back to my boat. Not nearly the situation you had, but still . . . .

Again, glad that you are okay.

Tex

Glad your OK, What a TRIP!!! And you still went fishing??? Diehard (CRAZY) like the rest of us.

My "swimming for my boat" story is not so bad either,..LOL. Atleast it was 80+deg at 6am and 75% humidity...it was Cambodia hot!! Backed my trailer in (I was by myself) and forgot to tie the bow line to the wench......boat floated off and immediately kept going!! I thought to myself,.."WTH,..why isn't the line holding it??...DOH!!! Ya forgot to tie it ya jacknut!!"......oh well....parked the truck and trailer,....had to swim out 20yds to grab the line and pull it back in...LOL!! I beached the boat,..grabbed my drying towel out of the storage,..layed my soaking wet wallet (yep...forgot to take that out of my pocket first!!) out on the deck...and went fishing for the rest of the morning. This was in August too....I was completely dry by 7am and by 1030-11 I was ready to jump in again to cool off!! Live and learn.....and be prepaired to laugh at yourself eventually!! :wacko::rolleyes::lol:

At least you had a wench to tie to; but are you so repulsive that you have to tie your wenches up? :lol::wacko::lol::wacko:

Wow! Glad you are o.k.! And ditto to what Tox said!

Wait until Kathy knows either:

1. you called he a wench

2. you took a wench fishing

:)

Fatrap, glad you are ok man....I have never done that yet, but I have fell into the lake at the ramp. My crocs got caught on the cleat and sent me inbetween the dock and the boat. Luckily I landed on my other foot :)

Glad you are ok. Reminds me of when I was a 8yo kid driving my "own" boat, a 12 ft aluminum Starcraft and I wanted to give my Grandmother a ride. Yes, we could actually legally drive a boat back then.....late 60's. So, on the dock, comon' Gram, proceeded to step on the seat....while one foot was still on the dock......yup.......boat started to move away....feet still planted.....splits ensued, then SPLASH. Biggest bellyflop I'd ever seen. Of course I laughed my butt off, I was only 8. She was fine but soaked. :rolleyes:

I watched a guy at an April tourney in norther Indiana get in his boat at the ramp, put the troller down and yep, it was on high and when he hit the button that boat took a hard left and threw him right off the deck in about 6 feet of water with the air temp at about 45. We watched him go to his truck, strip naked and put on frog toggs and sandles. Don't care what you say, he was frozen solid by 9:00am!!!!!!!

Randy!

Wow, at least the good lord was looking out for you and that the other boat just so happen to show up, or we might be sending condolences right now.

Talk about jumping from the dock, my daughter's boyfriend was fishing with me last week on Kentucky lake, he jumped from the dock, landed hard on the deck, and I watched my truck keys he had go into the lake from his jacket pocket.:(

I guess as Forest Gump once said "Stupid is as Stupid does" or something of that order. My point is that as long as I've been fishing with boats you can still do something that all your experience and training is screaming for you not to do it. I've tied that knot at least 1000 times too.

fatrap

Glad to hear you made it back to safety, and that you're ok.

I haven't had to swim for my boat yet either. I took a co-worker and his son once. I handed the co-worker the rope and backed into the water. He turned to yell at his son and the rope went right through his fingers. He made the kid swim for it. :lol: Luckily it was also a nice warm summer day.

Mac, did you get a new wench for this boat or are you going to use the old one? :p

Gene

1. Thank God youre OK !!

2. Dont blame the boat !

Im just sayin'.............................

Gene and Mini,....Yes,..I have called Kathy a wench before,...just ask her,...she'll laugh and say,..."ohhh yeah,....many times!" (Usually just before, during or after a Pirates of the Caribbean" movie!! :rolleyes: (BTW,..can't wait to see the new one released TODAY!!....Maybe I'll take the wench to see it Sunday pm!! ARRRRrrrrrr!!!

BUT, luckily for me,..the wench on my current trailer is rock solid,...and doesn't talk back,....so I just put a new strap on it and I'm good to go!! "Unstrap that wench matey and man me trollin' motor,..thar be smallie's to pillage and tackle to hoard!!" ;)

Just get all that "Pillagin" outta yer system before I get up there. Speaking of pillaging.....Tell the cat I'm on my way!!:lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Too funny! :lol:

They were talking about the new movie on the radio on the way to work this morning. We'll definitly be seeing it.

Gene

Having read this again with great concern, I went out and found something to tie off to so i can avoid the same problem.
boat tie off.jpg

no chit Sherlock!! I was thinking out loud like Popeye always did!!!:blink::wacko::rolleyes:

Good night man! Damn glad you are ok. Also, damn good thing you calmed yourself down enough to allow training to take over.....

Latest posts

Back