First day out and/or Engine problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
Well got out Friday and had a beautiful day for March 15. There were clouds and sun and 10 to 20 mph wind. Down right hot on the leeward side of hills because the air temp was about 70. The water temperature ranged from 46 to 48 degrees with about 30" of visibility. After sitting all winter this was a great day to be out. Unfortunately the hydraulics began acting up in my power tilt/trim. At WOT and trimmed to the max it will begin to drift back down. When I trimmed the engine up while fishing it will settle back down. I called my mechanic - cell phones are great - and asked for things to check on the water. I did all he suggested and nothing helped. He told me that he will order another trim unit and call me when it arrives. My day wasn't ruined because I was fishing and not working. I have learned to fish and not be distracted by something that I can't change at the moment. But I hope that a new trim unit will fix my engine woes because this will be third hydraulic unit in 9 months. Maybe, just maybe, Mercury should check their quality control or do a redesign on their system. Just for the record I purchased the small 40 hp engine hoping to minimize the engine problems. My plan was failed because in the past 9 months the engine has spent more time in the shop than it's been fishing. Sooner or later the engine will be fine but I hope it is not later. I want it ready by April 1 for the big fish contest. The big ones are beginning to fall down here in bubba country and April is just around the corner.

Bear

Latest posts

Back