Fine Tuning

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Been doing the things that make a boat "YOURS" I guess added a charger extra battery still 12v hooked up parrelell added some 12v hook ups for Black lights and a Pedestal seat and throught the lid cover for my charger cord. Just tinkering.Pics..

DSCF0124.JPG
DSCF0125.JPG
DSCF0126.JPG
DSCF0127.JPG
DSCF0128.JPG
DSCF0129.JPG
DSCF0130.JPG
DSCF0131.JPG
DSCF0132.JPG
DSCF0135.JPG
DSCF0136.JPG
DSCF0137.JPG
DSCF0139.JPG

Very nice! That's some pretty hefty live bait you're holding; for musky? ;)

Nice work Ed...boat looks great even if it's not sitting in the water ready to hunt...are those lights for night fishing? Never seen any like that (LED ?) Do your rod boxes have individual holders for each rod? Looks like you put some new Interstate"s in too, I will need one for trolling soon, mine is 5 years old....

I've had the batteries a while Mike but they hold up great. The lights are for night fishing I have to fab some new brackets though with bigger suction Cups so they'll stay on the boat.There LED also..$ 39.00 from Cabella's.On the 640 you dont have enough length in the rod box to really put in individuals especially if you like 7' rods like I do.But they'll accomodate 5 or 6 rods with out having a tangled up mess...The dog gaurds the boat lol...

Thanks Ed, I will probably go with Interstate again and it's kinda in the middle with cost as the Optima's are about $30 more and not sure they are any better?? I had to make some rod holders for my boxes, it looks like yours are bigger than on my PT185 and since I use a variety of rod sizes from 6'/ 6.6'/7' mine were always getting tangled, the front opening is not to bad but tapers back very quick and all the tips would end up together and I usually take 5 to 6 with me all the time and the other box is for anyone that comes with me.

I will try to post a picture of one of the boxes....the tubes really work well....

IMG_0585.JPG

On the 640 Mike seems like they(the rods) have to angle towards the bow to clear I dont think the tubes would work for me but I'll try to do something like that this winter after seeing yours..I like that Mike thats neat.

Something to watch for is that the rod tips will bunch up as they bend near the bow and sometimes even tangle themselves up in the wiring up there. Rod sox are a very good alternative and have the flexibility to move with the rod as you go in someone else's boat. Rod sox will also allow you to increase the number of rods in the box.

Thanks Ed, I think by the look of your pictures your rod box is more forward than mine and I'm sure being that far forward you might have that problem but also seems like the open part of your box is longer than mine so not sure how much tip on yours going in to front??

Marty, thanks I did look at some rod sox but since I had the pvc and U hangers I thought I would try first and seems to be working well after full use all year. Just grab one and fish

Im going to make the rod holders Mike..How long are the tubes you used and what is the ID of the tube.

Hey Ed....You will not need near the length that I used, my tubes are 41", my boxes/lid is only 3' opening and yours looks to be 5' or so and you have what looks to be only a foot or so forward of the end of the box lid...I have 46" forward of the end of my box...that said I used 1 1/4 PVC water pipe and 1 1/4 stainless pipe strap mounted to a 5" short piece of shelf board 3/4" thick and the straps are screwed to the bottom end of 3/4" edge and board is attached with 3 stainless bolt/nut with lock washer mounted to backside of front so you don't see the board. Hope this kind of gives you an idea and the picture will show you how different my box is compared to yours as far as location. I would think your pipes only needs to be 12" if you have the room. Let me know if you need any more info...
IMG_0591.JPG

Almost forgot the grey ring around the tube ends is just for dress, they are called box adapers and are 1 1/2" dia & PVC shaft on them is only about 1&1/2"

Latest posts

Back