F150 truck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
Alright guys. I need some help. I have a 2002 ford f150 with a 5.4 v8 and auto trans. I have everybody in town look at my truck no one can figure it out so I need to see if any of y'all have seen this before.

With my truck in forward or reverse gear, I can let off the brake and until it gets over 5 mph it shakes and bounces like crazy. As soon as I get over 5 mph the shaking will stop and the truck will run smooth as can be. I have had the plugs changed, trans filter and fluid changed, u joints checked, and diff oil checked. Everything seems to be good. Don't know what else to do. Some people say it is the transmission but I got a trans shop look at it and he says there is no problem. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Sounds like the tranny is slipping to me, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Scott

Possibly a wheel bearing? Maybe a planetary gear in your differential? I'd try another tranny shop and with the wheels up give them all a good shake, looking for a clunk or wobble. Good luck! ;)

If you are not dumping any error codes on the engine at idle with the parking break engaged and in gear I would say it is the transmission....

Check your U-Joint. Had a Ford Ranger do that as well. Smooth until I got to 35 mph and then it would feel like I had a blow out and then as I got to 45 mph and above, it would be smooth again. I put a new U-Joint in and fixed my problem.

Max

Sorry I posted about the U-Joint. lol. Didnt read the entire thread.. Just when you started with the problem it brought me back to when I had roughly had the same problem. What the heck.. Check the U-Joint again.. lol

Motor mounts is a good check, had that happen before. Also, if none of that checks out, you might have thrown a counter-weight from your driveshaft and it's out of balance.

JP

Sounds like torque converter shudder. I have two friends with the same set up and they both do the same thing. One is a mechanic and he says there is nothing much you can do about it. He says it doesn't hurt anything. I wish I was more help, but I am no mechanic.

Latest posts

Back