Electric steer trolling motors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cade McDaniel

Reaction score
I have to replace my trolling motor and I came across a good deal on MK powerdrive 65 lb motor with autopilot (almost too good to pass up). Anyone use electric steer? If so, do you like it? What is disadvantage.

I had the PD 70 without AP. I have had both cable and electric, I'' never buy another electric steer. Personal opinion but I thought it was responsive(quick) enough and I found it harder to use in general. I did like the quaility of the that unit on a sidebar.

CHRIS CAS

I really don't like the fact that they are so 'jerky' when you have to fine tune your direction. Also the noise of the steering motor can get to you after a while.

This is just my opinion based on my experiences in a friend's boat that just bought a new MC this year. The remote steer (co-pilot) is a very handy option though, as I am able to control the boats movements from the back deck of his boat.

I have a cable steered MG trolling motor on the front of my boat and I really appreciate the silence and smoothness of it's operation when I am in my boat.

BUT.....

If it is truly a deal that is too hard to pass up I am sure that the savings will make you get over the things that I have mentioned. Once you have it and start using it I'm sure you will like it, but if you have a cable steer now you may miss it.

Steve-o

I had a powerdrive on my 07 Tundra when I bought it. I HATED it. After have cable steering I always ended up with the cord wrapped around the shaft. Last summer at Lake Oahe the pedal got wet in a rainstorm. It shorted out and quit working. New Pedal. The MinnKota guy says it happens all the time.

Then the damn thing caught fire and burned up. Almost got the boat but my neighbor seen all the smoke and got me. Don't ask why the breaker didn't cut out. I ended up throwing the whole works in the dumpster at the car wash and bought a Vortex cable foot control. The Vortex cost me $1000. It's the best G@#$$ Da#@$ troller I've ever had. I love that thing.

fatrap

buy an extra foot petal. My MinnKota repairman says power drives keep him in business.

Good luck

fatrap

My repair man said the same thing about the motorguides.... He didn't have one MK in the shop but a crap load of MG's.

Ohhhh.... I have to leap in here... I have an AutoPilot with CoPilot and could not live without it...

But, I am a walleye fisherman and we don't have the same needs or wants in a trolling motor...

My Autopilot is used by me when trolling... Set my gas kicker at a 1.0 or whatever speed.... Wheel (my kicker is steered from the helm with a rod to the main motor and the shift/throttle is also at the helm (second set). Then, my bow moaunt is used to "steer"... I can kick the gas kicker out of gear and the bow mount runs at a barely perceptible speed but continues to steer... with the co-pilot on a lanyard around me neck I can raise or lower the speed while bringing in a fish... It is a very good system for trolling four or six rods...

Now, when I was fishing with Rob for bass.,.. we both cursed the d!@#$% thing while trying to work my big tall aluminum boat dopwn a windy bank... Ultimately, I stopped fishing and just ran the motor with a foot pedal... A new generation has a more responsive steering motor, that would help... If I had the bucks and fished for bass as well as walleye, often, I would have a second bowmount and excxhangeable plates and motors... One cable stweer for bass and one autopilot/copilot for walleye fishing...

Latest posts

Back