Drop Shotting - Your opions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
I'm reviewing my year end Tournament performance and looking for new ways to improve for next year. I fish mostly in NH.

I do alot of finesse worm fishing now but I have not tried drop shotting.

Is this the real deal? Should I learn this or get my butt kick by others that are using the technique. Does it work well in NH or New England style lakes?

It can be very effective... It is one method I try when the bite is slow/non-existent... Spawning smallmouth on beds are very susceptible to this method.

When the fish go deep and the bite slows it can sometimes be the only way to pull a limit. It usually won't be huge fish, but sometimes a 8 or 10lb bag is all it takes.

Drop shotting during the spring in Lake Austin is a BLAST! Once I caught 22 fish in two hours using this technique - and no keepers - boo-hoo!

Is this a tactic to try on smallmouths once the morning bite is over and they develope lockjaw? move deeper?

Works on LM too. But yeah, I believe it was developed out west by guys after spots and the smallie guys in the east adapted it to smallies. It works for all of them, but is more a deep water, finesse presentation.

Rob I've heard you use the term 'drop shot' fishing alot and didn't have a clue what it meant.

I checked out a few web sites while looking around to find out how to do it.

http://www.iovino.com/dropdiag.html

http://www.fishing.about.com/library/weekly/aa070201a.htm

http://www.bassresource.com/features/drop-shot.html

They all seem to show the same technique........Is this basically what you are referring too???? Sorry

for the stupid question, but if I'm going to try it I'd like to do it right! Thanks

Heading to Norther Bass to stock up.

Owener ultra point dropshot hooks

Some non lead 3/16 oz dropshot weights w/ swivels

Some 4" and 3" dropshot worms in watermellon and black

or 4" and 3" senko's.

Some 6# P-Line or McCoy or Sten Fluoro

Putting a kit together and I'm going to tey this out next year.

Rob,

Drop-shotting was developed by the Japanese. They have very little water to fish, and what they do have is VERY crowded, so they developed this technique to add to their anchor-and-jig approach when they have no room to cast.

You're right Ken, I remember reading that. Mike as long as the weight is on the bottom and the bait suspended above, you're dropshotting. I use a different knot, don't know what it's called, but it effectively leaves me a mono leader of length to my choice off the main line. How far up the line from the weight it determined by how far up the fish are suspended or how deep the weeds are that you are trying to keep the bait above. I use it a lot in some pressures inlets or causeways that I know hold fish. This coaxes the tight lipped ones into biting. Also great in deep water say 30+ feet in the summer. With the bait, just match the forage. Remember, you can always scale down and get bites. Once you get a limit, THEN increase the bait size to start culling. To me, the best thing about a drop shot rig is that it allows you to use a bigger than normal weight for finesse fishing, that would normally spook leary fish. But because it's on a drop shot, it's below and doesn't. Plus it allows you to get the lighter baits to the bottom faster. Be careful though, bigger fish can use that bigger weight especially on a drop shot rig and throw the bait.

Did everybody see that???? Rob said I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Um Greg, at what point in my post did I lead you to believe that my assumption is that western anglers only finesse fish. This is exactly the kind of thing that DOES offend me, when people read into or add to my posts. What I DID say was that THIS particular bait to my knowledge was developed by anglers out west after deep spots........how does that translate to

"don't assume that us wimpy western fineness fishermen use only 3 and 4 inch worms to Drop-Shot and that all we catch are itty-bitty Spotted Bass. You couldn't more wrong! I'm not offended by your lack of knowledge on a specific technique but I do question your assumption that all we can do (out west) is finesse fish."

I really have to wonder why people keep putting words in my mouth and ideals to my personality that aren't mine. Relax Greg, I didn't say, nor mean, nor implied any of that. Just pointing out that one of MANY kinds of fishing originated from western anglers. Geeeeeesh, can't say anything around here anymore!

Easy Guys,

It wasn't supposed to come out bad... I just forgot the Har, Har rule is all.

GregG

It just sounded to me like somebody was getting offended again at something I NEVER said. Didn't want to start anything, in fact wanted to stop it before anyone else used the opportunity to put more words in my mouth. Before you know it, I'll be a left wing democrat, atheist, that hates hunting and fishing, and likes to knit and watch Golden Girl reruns, based on what I've "said" in my posts! Greg, if that's not what you meant, no harm no foul, and from me as well. Just the way I took it.

And I AIN'T tender Tox, just a lil emotional is all! LOL My therapist says I'm making great progress! so there!

as for sissy techniques,I'll use anything that gets me a limit! Some days that win the Tournament. I'll also use a broomstick and spiderwire if that's what it takes. Our lakes are crowded in NH every one from MA, RI and CT come up to our lakes and hold bass tournaments and my club has Tournaments on Sunday which means that the lake was pounded the day before no matter what.

I use the drop shot on some of the clear water lakes I fish. I fish them deep and shallow....I have had good luck drop shotting in open/bare patches in weeds and next to any structure. It is great for fishing for those roaming fish that you can see or know are there but are real spooky. Definitly worth learning in my book.

Corey

Hey Corey...I'm inviting everybody over to see your trophy Perch... Hey no kidding...last weekend Corey boated a 14" Yellow Perch.. Great taste...

http://nsbass.com/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=64&start=0&rid=18&S=d7795198f2311900f475c26417be1353
index.php

I just went out yesterday on the California Delta and couldn't get any fish to go on jigs, senkos, cranks, or blades. Went to dropshotting 4in witches tea and started pounding. Nothin big but a few keepers. Im just learning the technique myself. Definitely give it a try!

Justin A.

Dave -

I've drop-shoted woolly buggers (a small fly) in the clear Ozark streams with excellent success for smallmouth. I fish them at the heads of pools right where the current dumps in and forms a ledge; large fish often hold there when they are actively feeding.

me!

(Rob, you forgot the rainbow flag stuffed between the mattress and box spring!)

I took it out and wave it on the front lawn now, didn't you hear? I'm sure I said that somewhere too!!! LOL

Well Silly me I did not even know that the Rainbow Trout had there own Flag. Do the Brown and Cut Throat Trout also have there own flags? If so how about the other fresh water fish? Do they have there own flags or must they unite under 1 fresh water flag?

BF

Rob,

Just remember the 1st rule of communacation:

" I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I ment."

Keep wearing that OU cap!

Harpo

We'll make a Liberal outta you yet, Rob!

(It may take a few years..............)

Well Scott, when I hit the poles last night, it was straight conservative Republican all the way across the board, so you have your work cut out for you.

If I could only mention one thing. Not an expert on this technique at all, but have used it in river fishing for smallmouths with success. I use split shot as my weight not the drop shot weights you tie on. If you get hung up the split shot will pull through and you don't loose your whole rig. Also alot cheaper for split shot. Don't think the swivel aspect of the weight means much.

Latest posts

Back