Dog behavior help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue DeLelys

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to bring home a male Black Lab. He has some issues and I am not sure if they can be corrected, so need lots of help.

Baxter is a 3 year old intact male. Originally he was owned by an older couple and was kept tied or crated for his first 9 months. Then a friend brought him home and he is now marking the toilet and some of the furniture, doesn't like the crate and will run away if he gets loose.

On the positive side, he is very intelligent and a big ol happy Lab that loves everyone. I'm thinking that with some attention, a structured environment and love, he may be able to be turned around.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

All of these thing can be changed but will just take time work with him everyday Dogs look for leadership (pack leader) once he learns your the boss he will do anything he can to please you when he learns that the things he is doing make you unhappy thats when he will stop. just take your time reward good deeds. a crate should be his safe house not a place for punishment thast why he don't like it when he was bad they yelled at him and stuck him in the crate you need to leave his crate open put his toys in it and walk away in time he will go in there and learn it's a good place not a bad one. I'm no expert but I have 3 German Shepperds and St. Bernard so I had to get something going or they would of taken over :lol:

All of these thing can be changed but will just take time work with him everyday Dogs look for leadership (pack leader) once he learns your the boss he will do anything he can to please you when he learns that the things he is doing make you unhappy thats when he will stop

Greg when you wrote that was thinking of my own shepherd. That has to be the most loyal dog around.

Sue also think they could be re-trained. Just hang in there and before you know it that Lab will be fine.

Donnie

The GSD is a wonderful dog they will be at your side no matter what and they are smart.

Mine is sitting out back by the door just waiting for me to come out. LOL She always stays by the last door I use.

Donnie

My wife tells me that when they hear my truck come up the road they go nutz there can be 10 people drive by but they know the sound of my truck from all others. or if they are out side thay are sitting at the fence by the driveway waiting

You need to obedience train him, after the training you will be the pack leader. Find a copy of The Koehler Method of Dog Training by William Koehler. This book is the real deal, with it you can get the job done.

Sue, I'm sorry but I didn't see this... I hate to say this and everyone knows how much I love dogs but if I were you I'd pass on this one unless you are ready to put in tons of time and tons of work to train him. I would have to see him to properly evaluate the situation though.

The first thing to do would be to have him fixed and then it's going to take quite a while to get all of that out of his system. All Labs are intelligent but a lot of Blacks, due to overbreeding, are now nuts! My wife has been with a Vet now for 29 years and she tells me that 3 out of 4 Black Labs that are now brought in need to be muzzled.

Just attention and love is not going to fix any problems he may have. He is going to need a strong hand and a good trainer. At three years old you are not going to learn what you need to know from a book. All dogs need to and should be socialized by six to eight months old and no later than a year. After that you can make them put up with things but you'll never really get them to like it. I was going to give you some training book advice but it's too late for that right now. Like I said, if you get that dog, you will need a real good trainer!

Uncle Billy

Well, just got the word from Baxter's owner that they are keeping him because the kids are upset..... even thought they feel that the dog would be better off with me....poor Baxter.

Sorry to hear that Sue. I am sure there are plenty of dogs that need a good home. You'll find one.

Back