Do You Ever Use & Rotate Your Spare Tire??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
When I bought my Tracker back in 2000, a friend gave me an old tire on a rim that fit my trailer to carry as a spare tire. It sat in the back of my truck for 12 years, never used and starting to dry rot.

I just bought 3 new Good Year Marathon tires for my trailer. 2 went on the trailer, and one on my spare all balanced and ready to roll.

Question is should you rotate your spare tire with the tires on the trailer so they all

wear equally?

I'd hate to see the 'new' spare tire just sit there for years and 'hopefully' never have be needed and used.

Mike

What do you say... Do you rotate your spare tire, or just carry it for years and never put any miles on it?

I have never rotated mine in on a regular basis. What i have done is put it into service when i had a blowout on a tire so i would only have to buy one and then put the tire with miles on it as the spare.

I dont rotate the spare in with my truck either, the rim is different on the spare vs the regular wheels. I just make sure it has pressure and that the winch is working from time to time. 6 years and i have only used it once.

Great idea Jim on working the spare in as a result of a blowout.

On the blowout note, I have never had one in 10 years (knock on wood) so I have never had to jack my trailer up. What is the best way to do this? With the truck jack or do I need a special jack?

Thanks,

Paul

The sun is responsible for 80% of your dry rot. Ask some camper owners why they always cover their wheels and tires when the camper is parked for a long period of time. Its the same reason you always see tire covers on their spares....Its not just for looks. It protects your spare from the damage of the sun. The tires on your truck dont need to be covered because they are used on a regular basis allowing the rubber to be flexed and massaged as they were intended to be during use. Your spare just sits there, never rolling, sun beating on it 12+ hrs a day. Cracks start happening. etc...........

Get a tire cover. Its a cheap, effective way to protect your spare, and extend its life of never being used...hopefully never being used.

Yes, every year. Drop spare to left side, the left side then goes on the right side and the right side goes up on the spare carrier, this way I also rotate directions too. Have been doing this 20+ years.

My boat/trailer reside in a garage so no sun effect during no use.

I do cover mine as well. My spare has a cover and when the boat sits i have rv tire covers for it. works great.

Paul,

As far as a jack goes, dont depend on the one in the truck working at all. I know on my Chevy the design of the jack makes its use on any other vehicle almost impossible(no to mention its a POS to begin with), my Dodge was the same way. I carry a small floor jack that i got at sears that comes in a plastic case. Its perfect for jacking the trailer and the truck if need be. Check the link below to see what im talking about. I carry a jack stand too, i dont trust the jack to hold anything up beyond getting it off the ground.

Same goes for the lug nuts, I would put money on them being as 13/16" nut. Your truck is most likley very different. These two items are something that needs to be sorted before you ever pull a trailer, the parts to change a tire out should be a part of when you bring every time you tow.

I have helped quite a few bassboat guys change flats over the years when they falsely assumed they had what they needed included with thier truck and they always find out they dont when they are busted down on the side of the freeway.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...Name=Equipment&prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=L8

When I had my Nitro I had a working spare and yes I rotated it often. Don't take long especially when you have air tools. Now I'd have to buy a matching rim for my Tundra and boy they proud of those. So I have good spare but don't rotate and yes I cover my tires from the sun. Harbor Freight has great tire covers cheeeep.

fatrap

Also google (I'm too lazy) trailer jack. It's a solid plastic piece that you put under your axle with the flat, pull forward and it lifts the wheel off the ground. I always covered my spare but it never went on the trailer in rotation. It was for emergency use. Also, get in the habit of putting a good tire dressing on all of your tires. Not the gloss/shine crap, tire dressing. It will help with the rotting if not eliminate it.

Lots of good info guys! Guess every year I'll rotate them so I can get the max mileage out of them. Never thought about covering them for dry rot protection from the sun either. When I saw a cover on one I was thinking protection from dirt, not the sun.

I keep a spare tire cover in the boat,.....you never know when you may need one!! We're likely to pull anything out of the lake around here!! :blink::rolleyes:

tire.jpg

Latest posts

Back