Detwiler Jackplates

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
OK - heres the scoop - I've liked Bobs Marine products. When I was searching for a hydraulic jackplate, I was dead-set on a Bobs Marine. Until I started looking into them. (don't stop here - please keep reading - there are a few good points here :laugh: )

1) Bobs went up on price, most anywhere I looked. I couldn't touch a Bobs for less than $1100 with shipping most places.

2) A local shop had two broken in their shop on the floor. The marine tech said "they aren't what they used to be" (his opinion).... "I'd buy a Detwiler".

3) I could find a Detwiler for about $840, shipped - with gauge and turn-signal type switch....

.... so I ordered a Detwiler 8" plate. Now, here is where the fun starts....

1) Detwilers plate is NOT 8" - it's 7 1/8". When I called, they said "well, it's actually about 7 1/4" - BIG DEAL!!! The fact is - it isn't 8". I wouldn't have a problem with them selling it as a 7", but don't advertise it as an 8", because that is the minimum I am expecting.... sooooo.....

2) Detwiler talks (stupid me) into buying something else from them - a 2" setback plate. It comes in (heavy, solid one piece setback plate).....

3) Problems occur:

a) with the setback plate between the engine and jackplate, I am now set-back 9 1/8", which I knew I would be... BUT the hydraulic steering fittings are now hitting the front of the plate - Detwiler says (get this) "It's your boat design" :rolleyes: WHAT??? My boat design has nothing to do with it! They say "it's because your transom on that Triton is so many degrees, yada, yada, yada (I stopped listening at this point). I had to send pictures to them so they would understand, and I still don't think they get it.

b) with the SOLID setback plate between teh engine and jackplate, I can no longer see any of the adjustments / get to the oil fill on the hydraulic plate.

HOWEVER - Luckily, Pit Stop Marine, once again, comes to my rescue with a solution. The guy I speak to over there is one of the most helpful individuals on the planet. He says "You aint going to like the solution... but it will work". I say "lay it on me". He says "take both off the boat, put the static plate to the transom, and mount the hydraulic plate to it instead of the way you have it now".

BINGO!!! Ding, ding, ding!!! Finally, a solution. That will take care of the problem, even though it's going to be a pain in the butt to do so.

So right now (and that could change) - I'm still not too happy with Detwiler... but with Pit Stop Marine in my corner, at least I feel safe. Thanks Pit Stop!

All the best,

Glenn

I feel your pain bro...my discussions with Deteweiler were like talking to a mud puddle with eyes.

Wish there was a way for me to go back in time and do it all over again. There would be a Bobs on the back of my boat. I can't afford to do it all over again. This Detwiler hasn't even seen water yet.... and I'm regretting buying it already.

Do you see any issues with Pit Stop Marines suggestion of swapping the position of the plate / spacer plate? It sounded like a perfect solution - but once again, just wanted to get your opinion Pat. I greatly appreciate the help. My local dealer that I bought the boat from says that is the way it should have been installed anyway - spacer plate to the boat / jackplate mounted to that. Unfortunately, I listened to Detwiler on that one also.

All the best,

Glenn

I don't see anything obviously wrong with doing it that way.

Thanks again Pat. Once the weather clears up and I have some time, that is what I'll do.

All the best,

Glenn

mud puddle with eyes....i like that!

Latest posts

Back