Cut Hub Help Please

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
I have never had a Cut Hub type bearing protector on a trailer so I don't know much about them.

Anyway, I'm finally getting to go fishing tomorrow so I thought I'd shoot some grease in the bearings. One of the little rubber center pieces came off and I can't seem to get it back on. Can these be replaced or should I go to Bearing Buddies and more important, can I use the trailer tomorrow?

Thanks, Bill

The rubber peices are designed to come off, they should pop right back in. To grease the bearings you pull off the rubber peice and then shoot the grease in, there is no need to remove the whole cap. Im not a big fan of bearing buddies, people tend to over grease them and that leads to seal failure. I have had this "bearing lube" type on my last two trailers and both have gone over 100k without any bearing problems at all. Heres a link to the company that makes the axles owners manual.

Before you use the trailer you need to try to get that rubber cap back in. if you odnt the grease will fly out and also water will get in and you may ruin the bearings.
http://www.ufpnet.com/products/axle/bl_axle_txt.htm

Thanks Jim.. I've been jumping all over the net looking for information. I will look again in the morning and see about putting it back in. The one that did not come off seems to be hinged and I just held it out of the way while I put grease into the fitting. When I went to do the other side, the rubber piece pulled right off.

Bill

Jim, if you look back this far at the posts I just wanted to thank you again.

I have found that neither side is "hinged" It look like it either deteriated or someone cut it. The other side just fell apart.

I was able to locate two new caps and rubber inserts today for 11.00 total. AND, the new caps are stainless so they're prettier:)

Thanks Again, Bill

Hey BIll, go to the preferences button at the top of the page and click the circle to "View most recent replies first", then if you post on an old thread it will move it to the top of the page.

TOXIC

Bill, where did you get the caps? I've got a Tracker trailer with the EZ-lube hubs and one of my caps is split in the middle. Do you think you have the same hubs? Right now I've got the "Handyman's Secret Weapon" on the hub so the grease don't go everywhere!

Thanks.

Rick

You mean those quarter size little black rimmed caps? I got all new ones at my local trailer store. They were like .50 cents a piece.

TOXIC

Thanks Toz.. let's see how that works:)

Rick..I got them at a local trailer place. I just measured mine and they are 1 3/4 inches. If you can't find them anywhere let me know and I'll see if this place has any more and I'll send them to you.

Bill

Okay, thanks Bill. I'll do some checking around Cincy this weekend. I might even be able to super-glue the slice but it would sure be nice to have a couple of spares.

Rick

Maybe this is what you're looking for?
http://www.championtrailers.com/dust_caps.html
S_LUBE_DUST_CAP.jpg

Just got off the phone with Champion Trailer Parts in Louisiana. Hopefully I'll have a new set of Rubber plugs in a few days.

Thanks to everyone. Sure gonna miss my duct tape cover NOT!

Rick

Latest posts

Back