Cross your fingers I get in!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I talked to a gal at FLW today and she informed me that the tourneys are filling very quick and that if I want a spot, I need to get my deposit it ASAP. I will go and put my money in for the Champlain tourney in a few minutes. Detroit River is already in, and I will have to wait a few weeks to put in for the Erie tourney in OH. Keep your fingers crossed I get into all 3 please, especially my home lake. I would go nuts if I couldn't fish it, especially since this time it's right here in P'burgh. I am waiting on the B.A.S.S. resolution about the Busch patches being mandatory before I sign up for a Pro open with that circuit. Should I land a sponsor this year from the FLW approved list I would be unable to fish B.A.S.S. as they have it structured and can't afford to lose an entry fee. Clark Wendlandt and Koby Kreiger are dropping out because of it. Not to say I'm at that caliber but I would be affected same as them, but cannot afford to put my money out there since the refund period is over. I would lose it. I know a lot of you follow Bassfan.com and the likes. If any of you hear of an update, please let me know, so I can get my money in ASAP should they reach a resolution. I really want and need a B.A.S.S. appearance this year. So Mac, Mini, Trep, Marke, Greg, do those voodoo, nekkid, intoxicated dances of luck to get me into all the tourneys I try for. Now that I made the decision to go, I can't believe how hard it is to get into a simple open or Everstart. Geeesh, I need a....a....a.... Ranger. There I said it! LOL Get's you in 2 weeks earlier.

Mini doesnt dance nekkid for ANY man....

Rob....If you are not fishing the entire Bassmaster Tour circuit, dont worry about the patch. Opens are not effected as far as I know.

Mini

Excellent. You sure, points could allow me to fish the invitationals next year. Would be my luck I would come out blazing and do well but not get any points because I didn't wear the patch. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I really am more concerned with the 'starts for now.

Good luck getting in Rob. Did you see the correction they made to the co-angler purse? To get the ranger you need to be a ranger owner.

They still haven't released the bfl schedules yet either... I wonder whats up.

Rob...the Invitationals are now called Opens...the Top 150 is now called the Tour. The Busch Angler of the year program is for Tour anglers only. There may be a different requirement for the Open circuit. You cannot just sign up for a Tour Event. You have to qualify through the Opens. Although there may be an chance if it is late in the schedule, but the way they are cutting the field I dont know. I would have to look at the Tour and Open schedules again to see what BASS tournament you are talking about. Also realize that to fish either circuit with BASS you must first join the BASS Professional Anglers. I think dues are around a $100.00 a year.

Remember the advice......KNOW THE RULES!!!!!!!

Mini

It's hard to keep up, they keep changing. I didn't think you had to join the BASS professional to fish an open. Still, $100 isn't bad, but when you add it to the $850 for entry.... adds up quick.

Adam, I don't have a problem with the patch, and I'm sure Mini is right....he usually is, I won't have a problem fishing either, even if I get lucky enough to land a bigger sponsor this year. There are a lot of the top level pros that choose not to fish because they won't be eligible for AOY or the classic if they don't wear the Busch patch and per their agreements with their FLW sponsors, the CANNOT wear the patch. It's a little more involved. Just go to bassfan.com or bassmaster.com and you can get the full scoop. I am in no way in the situation these guys are in. I just wouldn't want to put my money in for a B.A.S.S. tourney beyond the date of no refund, then do well in the 'starts, maybe pick up a sponsor that is caught up in this situation and end up not being able to fish the open and be out $950 of my own money.

Rob,

You wont have a problem with new sponsors if you are "grandfathered" into wearing the patch and flying the sticker for the current season. Negotiations for the following season with sponsors MIGHT be a problem, but I honestly see this being worked out by next year. They will have to for the sake of the sport.

But why wear the patch/sticker for only one tournament anyway? There is no way you will be able to finish high enough in the year end standings to go to the next level with out fishing the entire Open Series. But again, READ AND KNOW THE RULES, they might even have a bonus program per event by that time as an incentive to wear the patch and sticker.

Mini

I was thinkin of fishing more than 1. I know the rules. I agree this whole thing is bad for the industry, bad PR, and even worse for the anglers. Funny thing is Busch hasn't made a public statement as of yesterday, so the whole thing could be over and everyone happy by the end of the week. They have to reach a resolution soon or the pros will be divided unwillingly and the industry will suffer.

Gotcha, thanks. I know, I would like to qualify for the pro tour and the FLW tour this year. Don't know if I can do it with only 3 tourneys in the 'starts. If I make the cut in all 3 I probably will. Have to look at the opens schedule to see how many I can fish. They haven't posted 2003 yet. Almost seems like a pi$$in contest to me between the circuits. Nobody wins. If I have to choose 1 circuit to chase it will be FLW for now. To me, they have more to offer with 'starts and BFL's. Ranger cup, M1, etc. Just a personal choice, plus the money is better and entries lower. Granted BASS has better TV coverage, but I think that is temporary. Until I get some wins and $$$ under my belt I might only be able to fish the 'starts and 1 FLW, and a few BFL's. I also have the LCI trail (5 or 6) and NBS tourneys (2) with Buzz. 2 BFL's, 3 'starts and if I can muster an FLW, that's 14 tourneys and $6,200 in entry fees not including memberships, insurance, GAS, lodging, tackle etc. I'll easily spend $10k out of pocket this year and if I don't win it back, it might be my first and only year. That's why if I can afford it, I want a BASS tourney too. More exposure, more water, chance at more money. I don't expect to have a Tim Horton rookie year as mini puts it. I just want to win maybe 1 tourney this year, and finish in the top 10-15% of most of them and make my money + some back. I hope to keep you all informed as I did last year and try to give as much detail like Greg does. I think you need really watch Mini this year though. Maybe he and I can fish a tourney together....hint! LOL And then there's Mac on the FLW trail. Mac, fish the Forrest open, it pays more. 1 win and you got $40k!!! as a co-angler that's nothing to sneeze at!

We usually have the Forrest Wood Open here on Clair when they come....

You will do fine Rob...just keep an even keel, cant get too high or too low.

We may be able to get in a tournament when you are here prefishing. That would be cool! It will piss Mac and my normal partner off, but they can fish the same tournament together. Would be happy to take their cash too....their money will spend just like all the rest...lol

Mini

Rob,

A. Good luck

B. Where is the Erie tournament launching from? I may take a drive up to see the weigh in.

Rich D

Rob - $40k for Mac? Heck he makes that walking around money just off the Crappie Shirts!!! We'll have to find some BIG $$ T's if we want to draw (pun in tended) Mac out fishing!!!

Rich, go to flwoutdoors.com and click on the Everstart logo. Then go to tour schedule. You will get all the info you need on any tourney. It's in August, that much I remember! LOL Out of OH. I don't have my deposit in for that one yet, will within a month. Hopefully I still make the list.

The only patch necessary for the opens is a minimum 1.25" x 1.25" that are availlable at the tourneys. They initially gave out sticker backed ones, which looked like embroidery. I think I've seen some pin type, too. The regular big patch they give with membership is commonly seen as well as the sanctioned logo embroidery. The patch OR wearing one of the ESPN B.A.S.S. hats they hand out at the tourneys will suffice the rules. They give the tour patches with the admission packets prior to the tourneys, after qualifying and sending in deposits. The patches (and schedules)have varied due to the consistantly changing Tour sponsors. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back