help! trying to get a nitro savage 896 fixed up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chance woodard

Reaction score
I am a new nitro owner. I just bought a 1997 savage 896 that has low hours but needs fixing up. I am wanting to really get this boat fixed up my self but am having a really tuff time finding the parts I need. Here is a list of the things I am needing to replace and any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.

passenger side windshield
the latches to the rod box, storage box, live wells, etc
the cylinder things that hold the lids open to the same things listed above (what are these are called?)
throttle cable for hot foot (already have a hot foot just need cable)
fuel gauge
battery gauge
how to drop the foot pedal for the trolling motor so its flush with the floor

I would appreciate any advise or ideas on getting a older nitro boat fixed up affordable as possible.

welcome to the site. So having restored my 93 Nitro its not easy finding original parts, so I didn't, I modified it and bought other parts to replace what I needed. Having said that, there's on company that sometimes has those parts. They generally don't make replacement original parts for those boats once the production ends for them.

Here is the specs for your boat, might be useful to you http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Nitro_by_Tracker_Marine__896_Savage_DC__1997/bp/66b118959

Great Lakes Skipper can be your salvation (maybe) so look at the parts for Nitro on their site here http://greatlakesskipper.com/product-by-brand?f=891&limit=568
which is for Tracker products

For the hot foot cable - if you're just wanting a replacement for it, look at the cable thats on it now and get the part number of it and if you don't know how to look it up, post it here and we'll help.

Latches are a dime a dozen and you can find better latches online. They are easy to remove and easy to put in.

Cylinder things?? Do you mean gas lifts for lids? http://www.backtoboating.com/attwood-boat-parts/gas-springs/

fuel gauge? whats wrong with the one you have? They generally don't go bad - its usually a wiring issue of some sort.
Same thing for the battery gauge - tell us why you think you need a replacement, again its usually wiring issue

Trolling motor recess tray - Google search results here

But my feelings are at the moment is that you're a little in over your head and it would cost you a fortune to let somebody fix it up. I mean its not bad to fix up yourself, but you need some electrical troubleshooting knowledge and a little mechanical aptitude but if you say you're good on that, go for it. It will require cutting your front deck - its not for the squeamish types cause you could do it wrong and cut through the hull which would be very bad. Tell us what trolling motor you have.

Passenger side windshield could be the hardest of the wants. Is your current one cracked? Or really broke? I know there's a place that can make a replacement windshield if you have the current one.
Where are you located??

Last edited:
show us a picture of your current lid latches, so we can help you match closely or determine the size hole that the latch goes through as some require certain size holes. I hope you're close, as I LOVE to do wiring, but not so able to do physical stuff anymore.

Back