Considering 2006 Nitro 640 LX as first bass boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the market for my first bass boat, and I've found a very clean 2006 Nitro 640 LX for a decent price. The only real concern I have is the lack of power and space everyone is telling me about with a Merc 60 on the back. I'm not looking to set the water alight, but when I want to hit a new spot, I don't want to take all day either. I'll also be fishing with a partner alot of the time, and I'm told the added weight will make it hard to get on plane/sluggish. I'm also being told it'll be very cramped onboard with 2 or more people. Anyone (especially 640 owners) care to comment? Thanks!

I bought a NX750 [17' 6"] and I can't imaging fishing anything smaller. Any closer together and the backseater and I will be ricocheting baits into the water-off each other's heads-:lol::wacko:! Speed is all relative. If you're on plane with the Big Mo in gear, you aren't catching fish.

I'm a 640LX owner so I can answer your concerns. When I first purchased my boat it had a 40 Force on the back that ran great and looked like new. Unfortunately the 40 just wasn't enough. I tried different props and different engine heights but it still struggled to get on plane. If I was by myself with an empty livewell and half a tank of fuel then I could do ok with a 15 inch prop. Frustrated I finally upgraded to a 90 Merc and now it's a completely different boat. The boat will jump on plane instantly when I'm by myself and only takes a couple of seconds longer with a second person on board. When I fish with another person I don't feel cramped and I enjoy having the company. The 640 is a great boat and it will fit in my 20 ft garage straight. Over the winter I made several changes that have made the boat more functional and comfortable like adding deck lights, a step up to the front deck, pistons to hold the compartment doors etc.

My 591 is 18' "6 and If you and your partner fish any rods longer then 6' you might have to have surgery once in awhile when one of you gets nailed with a hook. As far as power you might as well get what you want now because you will regret it later.

Dan N. on this board has a 640lx with the max 90HP and loves it as his first bass boat. I have the 700lx with the 115 Merc and it is PERFECT for the lakes and areas I fish. Now that boat with a 60 Merc is close to the lowest I would think on that boat. I would want to test drive it with 2 folks and see how it planes and rides. I would estimate it would probably hit maybe 40mph, which having had a 40 Merc on my aluminium 175 which hit 29mph, speed wasen't an issue as I didn't expect it to run more, and it planed well, but it was set up right, the 640lx is heavier but a better hull being a pad hull, the planing would be my biggest concern. So it depends on the prop and motor hieight.

On space, Dan and I have fished out of his 640lx for a few tourneys, and we had no space issues. remember its not a 21ft boat, it is a 16.4ft boat, so set expectation and sit/try it. If its too small for you and a partner, don't get it.

My opinion is it all depends on what you are trying to do as far as size goes. My firsr "real" bass boat was a Champion mean 16 that measures 15'7". By todays standards that is tiny. i fished a good many years on that boat with two people alot of the time and while it may have been a little tight one space( mainly since the storage on the champion was lacking) it was never a problem. bouncing baits off each others heads wasnt an issue at all. You both just need to pay a little attention of whats around you.

As far as power goes that depends too. Personally i would want more( my champ had a 115 and was a rocketship) but thats a personal prefrence thing. you will never ever regret more power. Trep has the best advice, try it and if it will suit your needs go for it. If i didnt start fishing tournaments i would still most likley still have that little champ. It was perfect for fun fishing with a partner, it was just too small for tournaments from a gear/storage perspective.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to run the boat tomorrow and have a look at it. If it gets out of the hole decently and I feel it'll provide enough room for myself and a partner, I'll be buying it. If I need to upgrade to a 90 later on down the road, then I'll do that.

Thanks again!

Just what Trep said. I have the 640LX with a 90HP. I love it for the following reasons:

1. Good for my fist boat.

2. Small enough to fit in my garage once I added a swing hitch.

3. Good gas millage.

4. Has all the options as a big boat.

5. I was able to tow it with my wifes Mazda Tribute, now pull it with my Ford Explore with no issues.

6. Space, well, I'm just starting out with tackle and stuff. I can keep three rods on the front deck, a few in the locker, all my needed bait on the other side locker, food and drinks in one of the smaller back lockers, paperwork and spare stuff in the other small locker.I added a third batt. for the trolling motor.

7. With all that stuff and second person and full tank of gas, I can plane up very quick and top out at 46-48mph @ GPS. I have maxed at 52.2 empty and by myself.

I love my Nitro 640LX. The only upgrades I have done is the fish finders, Humminbird 797cSI on consle, Humminbird 363 on the bow and a radio for jams.

You can see my baby in my lib.

Dan

Kitz, I love my 640 for about the same reasons Dan does. I would absolutly upgrade to the 90hp when able to.

Well, I went to see the boat today. We were going to put it on the water but the registration wasn't available. I noticed a gouge (about the size of the tip of your pinkie finger and depth of about 1/8 inch) on the keel the owner didn't tell me about, and 2 of the 3 blades of the prop are ever so slightly burred/bent. I can't see that the size of the boat would be a problem for me. I don't plan to fish tournements at all. I just want to be out on the water fishing.

I told the owner if he'd knock 400 off of the price (200 for keel guard and 200 for a SS prop), and we can get it on the water and all electronics and stuff work, I'd buy it. He's asking 8900 BTW.....that sound pretty fair?

Thanks for the replies. Dan, Thanks alot. It's good to hear someone say they love this boat. I really think I would too, and I think I'd be fine with a 60 for the first year or so. I can upgrade later. If I buy this thing, I'll have to pick your brain if you don't mind :D

I have an 04' 640LX with an 05' 75hp Optimax that I bought new. I have absolutely no complaints about this boat. I have put 312hrs on it so far and it rides well and jumps right on plane. It used to run 43-44 mph gps @ 5710 rpm. Now with a slight mod to the Opti it needs a new prop because it is all over the limiter at 3/4 throttle and runs 47-48 mph gps @5850 rpm. If you buy it not expecting big boat room and speed it will serve you well. The price sounds good.

Nitro640.

I put a AMFM radio side ways in the side pannel. As your sitting at the wheel looking over the dash, I mounted it sideways about knee height. I nothced the glass and gut two holes for the knobs the then trimmed it with the rubber tim that was on there. I then mounted an antenna next to the dash. The speekers I mounted in the middle pannel just as you walk up onto the front deck.

Kitz: Any other questions just let me know. Happy to help.

Dan

Well, I went to test the boat today. Wind advisory on Lake Murray, white caps...perfect to test out a boat. I was curious about stability in the choppy stuff too. with 2 guys on board, we got on plane very quickly, and we hit 40 MPH easily. I told him to pull into a cove so I could check out the trolling motor. It all checked out. I absolutely love this little boat, and I got a helluva good deal on it. 4 day weekend this weekend, so I'll be on the water at least 3 of the 4 days. I can't wait! :lol: The only thing I need to get immidiately is a FF on the bow. Thanks so much for the replies and advise!

THAT my friends is what this board is all about!! Other than bickering like a bunch of little old ladies once-in-a-while, this board gives up some of the absolute best information for someone looking to get a boat!! Kudos to those that responded!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back