Nitro Boat Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil John SVT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I came here in search of some serious help. I recently bought a 2006 Nitro 700 LX boat with a 75 Mercury with a 22 pitch three blade ss prop on it. Boat is excellent condition. I took it out for the first time and it was a disaster. Now I will say this, I'm far from a boating expert. So at this point I'm clueless and sick that a new to me boat is doing to this. Plus it's to late to take the deal back. Anyways here's the problems, bare with me.
From a slow cruising speed, when I open it up to get on plane, the boat almost want to turn over to the left. I mean to the point my wife is in the seat with me. Yes it's that bad. But once it planes off and I trim it a little it levels off. But if I trim the boat anywhere close to half way on the gauge, the boat starts porposing terrible. To the point I have to get out the throttle completely. I can only run the boat with the trim gauge right past a quarter ways. Which still has most of the boat in the water. And once I do get it leveled off somewhat, the steering is so sensitive til it scrares me. I mean any little moment and the boat is everywhere. This isn't right I know it. My other boat a 1999 tide raft V15 with a 90 Nissan is so smooth both out the hole and running wide open. But the nitro boat is so bad both me and my wife are scared to use it. I did notice that the motor is on the third hole down on the mounting bolts. But you can see where it was on the first hole at some point which would have put the motor further in the water. I noticed also it will turn to the left very easy. But to the right, I need a football field or be almost dead stopped. I'm at a lost right now with the boat.
We love the boat, but it's a nightmare to drive. And we can't enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said I'm far from a boating expert. I just need advice. Thanks.

I have some of your same issues but mine wants to plow to the right on take off if trimmed all the way down. I'm still trying to figure some of this out! Good luck with yours.

I would drop the engine back down to the first hole. This will help stop the porposing.
Make sure you recaulk the mounting bolts if you have to drive the bolts back of the transom.
and like kirby said check that steering cable, should be tight both left and right

A 22p S. S prop, might be too much prop for a 70? Since you can't open it up, no way of knowing the rpm's it can turn. I assume you have power trim? If so... Make sure it's trimmed fully down, before you take off.

Sounds like the motor may not be developing enough lift /bite to keep it on plane.
You may need a stingray or trim tabs to help it stay on plane. Once you get the steering straightened out, you may need a prop change, depending upon rpm's of your motor.

I feel your pain. I have an 07 Nitro 482. Bought it off the showroom floor. I've owned boats for many years and never experienced the handling problems I've had with this boat. I've talked to the factory, been referred to another dealer, had the motor raised a notch, put on an aqua foil. All to no avail. Actually, raising the motor only makes the back end slide more when on plane. I was told this is a high performance hull and the severe list I experience is only resolved when on plane. I think Nitro received so many complaints that they have moved away from that hull. I've found it is better to trim up some before coming out of the hole and then continue trimming once the RPMs increase. Im out of options and just have to live with it.

I feel your pain. I have an 07 Nitro 482. Bought it off the showroom floor. I've owned boats for many years and never experienced the handling problems I've had with this boat. I've talked to the factory, been referred to another dealer, had the motor raised a notch, put on an aqua foil. All to no avail. Actually, raising the motor only makes the back end slide more when on plane. I was told this is a high performance hull and the severe list I experience is only resolved when on plane. I think Nitro received so many complaints that they have moved away from that hull. I've found it is better to trim up some before coming out of the hole and then continue trimming once the RPMs increase. Im out of options and just have to live with it.

I understand your concern. I have reached the same conclusions as you have. I leave my motor trimmed up about 1/4 of the way and begin to trim more as we come out of the hole. Must just be the nature of the Nitro line.

Good luck with yours

Latest posts

Back