Cold Weather Motor Operation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
My 150 Pro XS has been winterized since last November, and I hope to get out the first nice weekend in April after a long winter. My concern is that the motor will no longer be winterized once it is started up, and the temperatures here in New York could still drop below freezing later in the month. Am I risking damaging my motor taking it out this early? The boat is garage kept, but it is not heated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Any water in the engine that freezes will, or at least have a good chance of damage to the engine.

Just trim your motor down to the lowest point and ensure that all water has drained out of your lower unit and you should be fine..

I ran my 150 HP Merc EFI for the first time last Friday..it started right up and ran like a scalded dog. Air temp was 52...water temp was 40-43....wind on my face felt like needles!! Fished for 45 mins without a single bite...put it back on the trailer, went home and watched the Tiger's kick the Yankmee's asses. :rolleyes: Saturday, Mini and I hooked up the dual units on my bow and now I'm ready to put the smackdown on the 'gilled wonders of the world. This week?...rain every day in the forecast :angry:...okay...I'll respool reels then! ;) Ma Nature can keep a man off the water,..but not his mind!!! :wub:

Just got off the Potomac. Its 83 degrees and I got FRIED.....and that is a good thing. My rig has a few new filters before I can take it out. That happens this Saturday. Got to get in fishing shape before the MVM!!

I worked on Mac's boat Saturday (see above) and then WENT to the Tiger game (same result) and then went to teh bar to watch the Wolverines win....then I fished Sunday and laid the smack down on the crappie :)

All in all a pretty darn good weekend....except I worked on everyone elses boat and not my own!

um...no! I am certainly not TRAVELING to work on a boat (unless its Army Watercraft) :)

Where's the love bro???:lol: I actually got a box of parts in yesterday so it's off to Carlos' house tomorrow for a lesson on Yamaha engineering. Lot's of filters, new bulb, wiring review, new LU grease, impellar (if the parts are in the box), drain and re-fill hubs on trailer, load test batteries, and the just maybe I can take "The Black Pearl" out for her maiden TOXIC voyage....we need to bond:lol: BTW your new seats look good.

Thanks. Funny thing is Tox....I have had no less than 7 different boats in my driveway over the last 12-15 months that I have worked on (including my own).

I have had zero help working on mine in that same time frame (unless I get the skinny armed kid next door to grab something I dropped into an area that my popeye arms dont fit!)

Going to attempt the seat install tonight....wait for it...wait for it.....BY MYSELF! LOL

Latest posts

Back