Winterize Motor with RV Antifreeze?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Merc 25HP 4-stroke that has the attachment on the side to hook up a garden hose to it so you can run the motor out of water. My question is, can I cut a piece of garden hose off, fill it with RV Antifreeze and run the motor to get some antifreeze in it? Does it require pressure to force the antifreeze in the motor or will it suck it into the motor? I have a semi-heated garage in which water bottles generally won't freeze during winter unless the temp gets to -F outside. I live in central IL. Thanks for the help. Paul

Not necessary. Make sure you drain the LU and change the lube and you will be ready for winter's nap. I have heard of AF in live well lines but nor in the motor.

TOXIC

If you store this outside make sure it is vertical. That allows the water to run out. Anti Freeze is not needed. If tilted up it can catch water and freeze. It's a good idea to change the lower unit oil and doesn't hurt to fog the cylinders too.

Latest posts

Back