Cody shows up dad!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Last night was beeeeeyootifull, so I decided to take the kids down to the Saranac river mouth in town and try for some eyes there. Plus if Peanut (my daughter Aiyana) got bored, she could feed the ducks. Well, I grabbed 2 of my poles, 1 of Cody's that Buzz got him, nice little Johnson set up and Peanuts Scooby Doo pole. Their 2 tackle boxes, man those kids have more tackle at 2 and 5 then I did at 18, and off we went. Well for some reason, Cody's reel wouldn't cast, could not for the life of me figure it out. Since Peanut was content to feed ducks with Momma, Cody and I undertook the daunting task of prying fish from the rivers stingy clutches in front of dozens of anglers that had been there all day. He picked out this old Bagley Smoo I gave him that I never threw, mid size crank with LOTS of action, it was gold with tiger stripes. Well that kid has been paying attention to Daddy's casting lessons cause he whips one out there right off. Anyhow, I wanted to get one out there for him, so I zipped one out a ways and handed it to him to reel in. Then he starts hollering to me, "Daddy, my baits stuck" Yup stuck alright, right in the mouth of at least a 3 lber! I handed it back to him and said "REEL". Well needless to say, the little Super Scooby Doo hi-tech gear ratio was not quite fast enough to keep up with a hard charging smallie and the lunker got off to insult someone else another day. Fortunately, shortly thereafter I hooked into a nice 3 lber and let Cody reel it in. Then the best part, both my kids sat there wanting to "pet" the fish. Peanut is hooked. She doesn't want her rod anymore, she want's Daddy's 7' Berkley! LOL We didn't get anymore for Peanut to have a chance but I'm hoping maybe on Friday night. It was a blast.

I know what you mean Rob. First day of trout here about a month ago and guess what was catching all the fish. My three year old's Scooby Doo rod and reel combo. He had a blast reeling them in and better yet playing with them in the livewell.

Do they make the Scooby Doo's in a 6'-6" rod?? LOL

I think it was the naturally "erratic" retrieve of a 5 year old. LOL

Great story Rob, isn't it somethin' too, maybe it IS the erratic retrieves of kids, but my two youngest make me look pitiful alot of times, alot of times I end up not fishing cause of unhooking fish for them, and baiting em up.

Now to run out and get ME a Scooby Doo combo, fast!

egMike

Latest posts

Back