Classical music question for Me!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
Me!

I remember reading a post stating that you have a large collection of classical music. I was wondering if you could recommend a couple cd's. My knowledge of classical music is extremely limited, so I am at your mercy. I am interested in violin or other strings, piano (of course) and guitar.

Thanks,

Rich D

JR - He said classICAL - NOT class. I think the devil is still in Georgia along with Charlie.

Jr.

I already got that, but I prefer the Legend of Wooly swamp!

Rich D

Well they started laughin and I felt kind of sick

and I figured I better think of something pretty quick

so I just reached out and kicked ol green teeth right in the knee.

Uneasy Rider

This is what I like MOST about this board,.......we can take the most serious of questions,...and totally screw it up BEFORE the person who is supposed to answer...even replies!! LOL...hahahhah...crax me up!!

Mac

Rich:

Here's a good place to get started looking. It will have the composer, and the label number.

Classic 99 KFUO-FM is an award-winning classical music station in the St. Louis area, and probably the one me! has pre-set on his car radio. There's also a discussion board where you could post the same question and get some really good advice.

<i>There's nothing like a real stooge to bring a thread back on topic. Now back to our regular hoo-ha...."</i>
http://www.classic99.com/plaboard/plaboard.html

LOL!! You guys are worse than I am!!

At a small, intimate concert attended by about 50 people here recently given by the First Violinist of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, he made the mistake of asking for requests..... I raised my hand and asked for the "Orange Blossom Special"!

Rich -

My all-time favorite violin piece is "Zigeunerweisen" ("Gypsy Aires") by Sarasate. Just, please, don't ask me how to pronounce it!

There is a delightful CD put out by Philips titled "The Magic of the Violin". It includes "Gypsy Aires"..... As we speak, I am recording it and will get it in the mail to you today! (I still have your address from the Rally.)

Paganini also wrote four violin concertos..... All are wonderful, but my favorite was subtitled "The Bell"..... I'll get around to recording that for you this weekend.

In fact, anything I mention here, I'll record and send to you..... Save you a few buxs so you can spend it on fishin' stuff! There isn't much in the world that I enjoy more than "Sharing 'my' Music" with others!!

I'll send what I refer to as "Cartoon Music!" - Overtures by Suppe. You'll recognize many of the pieces as being used as background music in cartoons!

All of Beethoven's, Mozart's and Hayden's Symphonies!

My single, favorite piece of Classical Music was Beethoven's 6th Symphony - The Pastoral Symphony! It was used as the basis for the pastoral sceen in the old Disney Movie "Fantasia".

Also by Beethoven, the "7th and 8th Symphonies", "5th Piano Concerto" and "Choral Fantasy"! The "Choral Fantasy" was the first appearance of his "Ode to Joy" and was written simply as a fill-in for a concert he was giving!

Your first CD will be arriving in the next few days!

Keep it! It's our free gift to you!

Then, we'll be sending you more each week.....

.....at a low, "members only" price!

me!

P.S.

Of everything I own, I value my collection of Classical Music more than anything else..... It is where I have gone all my life to find peace..... Someday..... When I'm gone..... I've given my dear Friend Laurie (MOFish knows who she is) instructions to donate it to a school for children who might not normally have the opportunity to explore the Magic..... When that day comes, if any of you have suggestions, please get word to Laurie!

Thanks and God Bless!

me!

Me!,

Thanks! I appreciate it. If I can repay the favor let me know!

Mo,

Thanks for the info as well!

Did you notice it was all those glass guys dragging this question down! LOl

Rich D

Anybody got Freebird's first concherto by famed composer Lynard Skynard?

Pyromania in B flat by Def Leppard?

or that all time favorite....

Female Parental Units don't allow your offspring to mature into Western Naturalists by William Nelson

TOXIC

How 'bout that wonderful Opera "Tommy" by The Who!

Love the Overture!

Me! That last paragraph put an awfully large lump in my throat.... I gotta quit reading this board at work...

JJ...

Rich,

In keeping with an earlier thread, you didn't ask for copies of the CDs to be sent to you so you don't have to pay for them. LOL

On another note - ME! - thanks for sharing.

Another good station in the DC area is classical 103.5. You can listen on-line using the attached link.

david.....
http://www.wgms.com/index.php?sid=436&nid=181#

I could repay the favor by sending a copy of Wham bam thank you ma'am by the Ted Nugent Orchestra!

Isn't Flight of the Bumble Bee a classical piece?

I like that one.

That my friends, is the extent of my knowledge on the subject!

I took music appreciation in college...I flunked it and had to take it over (embarrassing I know). I missed one test completely...I had missed so many classes that, not only did I not know that a test had been given, when I finally went to class the teach was passing out the graded test. I got a big zero. Average that in with a bunch of c's and d's and see what happens...LOL

I did make a 4.0 average in my last simester..I always finish strong...LOL

Wolf

Rich,

I'm more of a jazz fan myself but here are a couple of classical pieces that Me didn't mention that you may like.

The Four Seasons by Vivaldi

Concierto de Aranjeuz by Ridrigo (great for classical guituar lovers). You can also get a jazz version of that by Miles Davis which is excellent.

Anything by Aaron Copeland

Harpo

I am a Miles Davis fan myself, I will have to get both versions!

Thanks

Miles is DA MAN! The cd I was refering to is "Sketchs of Spain". I've got just about all of Miles's stuff. I've told my wife that I want "In a Silent Way" played at my funeral.

Harpo

The closest thing I have to Classical is the Metallica S&M Live 2-CD set. Metallica went on tour with the San Fransisco Orchestra. Classic and Heavy Metal mixed together is pretty sweet.

The Fread Bear song was pretty good also...but it you wanna rock you cant go wrong with "You Give Love A Bad Name" or "Livin On A Prayer"!! Oh yeah classical not classic. lol My bad

Donnie

I just ordered Heart - Greatest Hits 75-83, Juaqin Rodrigo - Concertos for Guitar and Harp, ZZ TOP - Eliminator, Miles Davis and John Coltrane - The Best of, and Sharon Isbin, Dreams of a World. Two Rock, Two Classical and Jazz. That aught to keep the folks at the music club on their toes.

Rich D

Make mine Mozart's "Eline Klenine Nachtmusik" is especially great. I feel like boogying... Strauss's "Tritsch-Tratsch Polka" to be inspired... Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto"

To feel nostalgic "Anchor's Away"

fatrap

How 'bout "Bohemian Rhapsody" from tha Wayne's World soundtrack?

Or B-B-B-B-Bad to the Bone in B-B-B-B Flat.

Tom

Oh Mac, not the "I've got a rollerskate and you've got the key" composer? How about Gordon Lightfoot and "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald"? That ought to bring tears to all of you Great Lakes dudes...LOL

TOXIC

After I posted awhile ago I went to the music store and was browsing the used CD's. Talk about a coicendence, I picked up "Sketchs of Spain". I only had it on cassette. And speaking of Classical music, I also found Grand Funk Railroad. The CD with "I'm your capitan"

Harpo

I have every Grand Funk Album...yea ALBUM, vinyl ever pressed. I play "I'm Your Captain" most of the time on my way to the lake (on casette). Survival, American Band, yada, yada...Also did a lot of BTO. They always came in concert together.

TOXIC

One of the best concerts I have seen was BTO, The Guess Who, and Dr. Hooks revival. And this was in the late 80's. Those old guys were cranking!

Rich D

Hey Tox, my 14 year old son liked Grand Funk. He says it reminds him of White Stripe.

My best concert ever was about 1976. I was selling stereo equiptment in those days. A guy comes in the store to get a new cartridge for his turntable and while I was installing it we got to talking and he tells me he is the stage manager for the arena where Led Zepplin was playing that night. Because they are never sure how many seats the stage will take up, some are not sold until the day of the concert and he had a bunch of tickets in his shirt pocket that he was returning to the ticket agency. Anyway, he GAVE me 4 on the front row!! My best buddy and two last minute dates had the time of out lives that night. Couldn't hear a thing for 3 days. I loved the 70's.

Harpo

I saw all three concerts that Simon & Garfunkel performed here in St. Louis when they were still together..... Am I showing my age yet?

Rich & Harpo - I love Rodrigo! In the car, I carry copies of CD's (never originals) and have one I titled "Latinos". It's a compilation of many latin-themed classical pieces - several are by Rodrigo and several are played by the Romero's. Light and lively!

One night, the kid upstairs from me was blasting his rap music right through the floor..... "Theme for the Common Man" (LOTS of symbals and trumpets and timpani) went onto my stereo and turned up full blast..... I'm 30+ years older than he is - I've had time to acquire a few more watts! Heard the pitter-patter of feet across my ceiling and his music went way down! I let Mr. Copeland finish his piece before I reduced my volume! :^)

MOFish - Many of the early purchases for my collection came as suggestions from Tom Sudholt(sp?)..... I used to listen to his show every morning at about 6 am as I got ready for work. I loved the music he chose to play and would often HAVE to go out and buy a copy after having it play over and over again in my head all day long! I called him on several ocassions for recommendations and he ALWAYS obliged! If you ever see him, tell him I said "THANKS!"

TOX - "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"!

Fatrap - Ever see the movie "Amadeus" and their version of how "Ein Kleine Nacht Musik" came about?

Mac - Who was the lady who did "Queen of Hearts"? Must be gettin' old - I just can't remember her name......

ME! That was Juice Newton...."playin witht the queen of harts..."

Donnie

JR... Joan Jett is a great rock performer and composer...

Yeah! Juice Newton! Thanks, Donnie! Whatever happened to her? I kinda liked her style and voice!

Greg - Two summers ago, I saw Joan Jett perform here in St. Louis at a FREE concert! At age 40-something, she can still REALLY ROCK!!

Rich -

Put three more CD's in the mail to you yesterday. They went "Priority" so they should be there in about a month! LOL!!

Paganini Violin Concertos - Beautiful music. The second movement in each of the two concertos may be approaching the "too heavy" aspect for non-classical lovers. Third movements in each, the Rondo's, are delightful! Especially the third movement of the second concerto which is where it got it's sub-title "The Bell"!

Overtures performed by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops - You'll love 'em!

Beethoven's 6th Symphony and Choral Fantasy - The 6th "Pastoral" Symphony is my very most favorite piece of music! The Choral Fantasy is a very little-known piece..... Although the "Ode to Joy" makes it's debut here!

Enjoy, Rich!

me!

Wow....

Refinement and gutter, all in the same thread.....

This place ROCKS!!

Me!,

Thanks so much! Are you sure you don't want reimbursed for the shipping charges?

Rich D

I loved the premise of the made for TV movie..........

"Pay It Forward"!

Me

I never did See Amadeus" but now that I got a satellite maybe I can find in on some movie channel. I bet Mozart was a real pistol. I bet some of the real wierdo's today couldn't keep up with him and they all lack his true genius. Does any of these clowns nowdays know how to write let alone write music?

fatrap

Did anyone see the movie "Immortal Beloved" with Gary Oldman as Beethoven? It wasn't bad. I have the movie and soundtrack.

Rich D

Fatrap -

It's been out long enough that it's available at the movie rental places for $1 for 5 nights.....

Try it!

You'll love it!

TOX - The Fat Boys, Run-DMC, Will Smith (only rap I let my kids listen to), Don Henly, Donald Fagen, BOC, Sammy Hagar, Black Sabbath, Cheap Trick, Devo!! Heck just get the soundtrack to the movie "Heavy Metal" and all of the Blues Brothers CD's

WOW! David!

I thought I was the only person in the world who ever listened to that album!

I grew up on that album as are my children now. They know most of the words. I love the whistling intro.

I know you're out there....

Then there's JR's portion in the chorus.....

"Matilda, she take me money and run Venezuela!"

Back