I have lost my BASS envy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I can't help myself... It's like a confessional here, I "used" to fish a few BASS tournaments and belonged to a BASS affiliated club...a few years back. SO, it is only a leftover feeeling of "belonging" that has kept me interested in the turns and twists of the saga of (for lack of a better description, because it really is a complicated mess) FLW Vs. BASS and the "federation clubs".

In this saga the majority of the fishermen are just "going with the flow" (or FLW) and most of the political fights and squabbles are of no real interest to them. But, on one issue, most of the bass fishermen I know are in "solidarity" with everyone, build the future with the kids programs.

Well most of the past frustrations were with the Federation (State affiliated clubs at the local level) Clubs chafing at some of the decisions made by "corporate" after ESPN bought BASS. It caused thousands of former BASS members to switch club allegiance from BASS to a newly formed organization affiliated with the FLW. Lots of politics and "poor playground behavior" all around, I guess. But, again, there seemed to be agreement that a kids' program was very important. BASS even had their Junior Championship at the Bassmasters Classic. The kids got a chance to fish with the big names for their Championship. Well, for this next Junior Championship kids that qualified from the US and all over the world had been sent their information packets and tournament information about the location, dates and even the imposed off limits dates. Some of the kids have already made prefishing trips to scout the waters. Many, many of the kids and their families booked travel arrangemens, hotels and flights.

Guess what, in another "shooting in the foot...self inflicted" style, BASS/ESPN has abruptly (70 days before the event) cancelled the Junior Championship at the Classic for this coming February. Yup, all those plans and dreams, cancelled. They have decided that despite sending out those packets of information and despite the probability and reality of parents spending money and making plans, it was necessary to cancel it for budget reasons. Now, they are moving it to November of 2008 and will have the rescheduled Junior Classic with the Federation Nation Championships. But, is that really the same thing they promised these qualifiers who "earned" the right to share the stage with the Bass Pros at the Classic?

So, when now when I think the walleye side of the sport has "issues"... I will remember Nobody from the XYZ Walleye Circuit has ever, ever done anything as "boneheaded" as "shafting" our future fishermen in a similar "smooth move" with supposedly sober forethought and reflecton. So, remember, the next time the Tournament Director of the XYZ Circuit does something you think is as stupid as it could get, think of this one and me, I thank the fish gods I was fortunate enough to grow up and see the light and choose to fish for fish with teeth!

I am now, never, ever again going to admit to fishing for bass! My reputation can't take another hit for affiliation with the mentally challeneged.

You can bet that somewhere in their (ESPN/BASS) decision making process there was a $$$$ Factor and I assume a major part of the decision. You have to admit though that ESPN has taken the sport more mainstream and there are sacrifices to be made for that. The kids still get their championship and it would be nice if they get some additional coverage. Just as it is in other sports say for example football, the high school/pop Warner level gets no real mainstream coverage but it doesn't damper the college game and real coverage. I'm not saying it's right but as far as money making, college ball makes millions and millions, high school ball does not. Just trying to add a little real world perspective. BASS did have lousy timing though in canning the event mid-stream.

TOXIC

I believe teaching kids to fish is great. I've personally never participated in organized tournaments for money, I get my pleasure from being outdoors, interacting with nature, and yes, I even keep a few fish to eat (not apex predators/LM-smallmouth). I happen to feel the sport is getting too commercialized anyway, and we're participating in all of this whether we want to admit it or not. That said, cancelling an event 3 months out no matter what it is is boneheaded and irresponsible.

I forgot to mention that many families had already made "non-refundable deposits" on hotel and airfare. How do you compensate those people who may have stretched their budget to make tis sacrifice of household $$$$ to support their kid.

How do you justify telling a kid all year long he is working to win a spot on the stage at the Classic, send him his info packet talking all about the excitement of the Classic and then after that... Tell him you have changed your mind and what he has "earned" is now not going to be delivered? Money alone is not a justification. Honor and credibilty mean something to me... I give my word and I will go through anything to keep it... When you leave here you leave with no money, but your reputation will live on...

If BASS wanted to change it, fine... Next year's qualifiers will have been told to expect their Junior Championship to be held and "aligned" with the Federation Championship.

Sometimes it "costs" short term to keep a promise... But, in the long term it rewards you... There is no real short term or long term benefit in not honoring a commitment. BASS and ESPN have shown no respect for these kids and their families. That is the "real world perspective" I see.

I agree with Greg. Your word is your word.

I have been tournment fishing for 14 yrs.

Fished clubs, fed. nation all kinds of circuits.

I love to compete.I left the fed. when all that

crazy stuff started.All I want to do is compete.

There are some many tournaments out there.You realy

don't have to belonge to anything.Just pay your money

and fish.I fish 10 to 14 tournaments a year.And bass or

fed. don't get any of my money.They average 25 to 30 boats.

With about $1000 for frist.My way to boycott them all.:)

Hi Greg I see you are from Ill.Come back to bass fishing.

Fish the Cal Sag.Anglers dream Great circuit.

Fish with a buddy or by yourself.:D

I have to agree a little on both sides.

Number one, this should NOT have happened to the kids and their parents. I would venture to guess that ESPN/BASS could give a rats hiney if a parent loses a deposit and his/her vacation days over this.

Number two, the kids SHOULD be fishing with Federation anglers, NOT pros. BASS youth programs should be fishing with the people that make them that. Most of the youth will not know the difference and in my opinion the kids will get a better day on the water. Nothing against the pro's but until you realize what they go through on Classic week as far as their time being spoken for, you may understand.

Bottom line is that ESPN tried and failed AGAIN.....One of these days they MIGHT get it right.

Mini,

I don't disagree that there is a very good reason to move this to the Federation Championship. I have worked as a volunteer through the whole week of the 2000 Classic. I spent a lot of time with the Pros. They are under a lot of pressure and don't really need the added responsibility of fishing with a kid o one of their two days. BUT, and this is a big BUT, change it prospectively. The folks at ESPN knew what had been promised long before now. The Pros who were trying to and then did qualify knew that this was a stated responsibility, duty or whatever you want to call it. It was a part of their trip to the Classic. So while in a "vacum" it is an understandable decision. When examined in the context of the timing it isn't understandable.

As I stated, this isn't an issue related to anything else BASS has done or not done. This is all about a "corporate" decision, made by people, that deeply affected some other people, in this case kids. So, while I agree with your analysis of at least one of the probable "whys", I cannot gree that that reason justifies the actions taken in the context in which they were done. Three months ago, this would have been a disappointment, but it probably would have gone down differenetly. Certainly noone can fault ESPN/BASS for a prospective change, in future years aligning the 2008 and onward Jr. Chmpionship with the Federation Championship. I would hope that the winner, maybe even the top three or four kids would get an invite to the Classic and some face time with the Pros in a relaxed atmosphere like the media day activities and then later some pre-final weigh-in stage time... Clips of their weigh-in shown on the screen. etc...

But, this was just wrong. These kids and their families were just tossed into the dust bin because a decision was made that they weren't needed or wanted and so they were basically told in no uncertain terms; "get the h out of here".

I am proud to say that the Walleye Pros have a kids program at most of our big tournaments at three circuits and the Pros donate freely of their time and sponsor products. They have yet to lose their humanity in the chase for the money.

I am in agreement. I do not agree with the way it was handled by ESPN/BASS. This years (08) event should have went on as planned in conjunction with the Classic as promised.

Next years event should have been changed to what their idea of when the children should fish and with whom.

again, agreed....bad move AGAIN by BASS.

Dont blame this on th anglersin any way.....they will donate time and product as freely as anyone will. But the demands on their time in the biggest week of some of their careers isnt a fair playing field. I would agree with having pro's that are not fishing the Classic, but are in town for the show taking the children out.

go check bassfan's story from yesterday....looks like a few pro's are going to take em fishing anyway.

Can't get anything past the home page to load at BassFan... Have to try again later

Got the pages to load at BassFan; seems like some of the Pros have a lot more class that the ESPN/BASS folks do...

Late breaking update... (And I had to get it from a Walleye Board...LOL)

One of the regulars from Walleyecentral who lives in New Mexico attended the NM Federation Nation State meeting. Short version is this. The Pros wanted to run their own sponsor boats on the final day... ESPN agreed and Triton pulled major money. They cut costs anywhere they could. So, it was all about money (usually is) with ESPN/Disney.

The Pros got what they wanted, their own boats on the final day, Triton got way less exposure for its participation and the kids got screwed. It all adds up.

By the way, this makes sense now to me, that Triton is being replaced by Skeeter.

Well its almost a case of the ends justify the means.....in other words you are close, but not correct.

The Triton sponsorship deal with BASS was up this year. Triton has since been aquired by Mercury (parent company Brunswick). The deal was up for renegotiation for 08. Brunswick/Merc/Triton decided to not renew so costs could be cut (I have heard rumors that the deal is in excess of $8mil/year). Things are tough everywhere and sponsorship dollars are being cut ALL OVER. You can ask your walleye buddies about the PWT and Lund (also owned by Brunswick). Lund/Merc/Brunswick has pulled sponsor dollars out of the PWT (which by some estimates was close to 40% of the ENTIRE PWT budget!).

Brunswick is the one pulling the dollars. Not BASS or the PWT. If the fishing organizations dont have the money coming in something has to be cut. ESPN has deep pockets and SHOULD have stepped up and paid what it would cost to send each kid and a parent to the event for FREE in my opinion.

Skeeter/Yamaha has always been happy to step up when an american competitor falls by the wayside. You cant do wrong when it appears you are "bailing out" a "failure" of a competitor.

As for the Pro's getting what they wanted....they have wanted that since day one of the ESPN takeover of BASS in all events (including the Bassmaster Classic). If you are an angler that has had the majority of your expenses/income coming from a competing boat brand you could not "payback" your sponsor with television coverage of the product due to no-compete clauses that Triton put in place with ESPN/BASS when they became the title sponsor after Ranger left. This is the same complaint Rick Clunn and many others have had against the FLW for years. Look back at some of the pictures of Rick Clunn when he was whomping on everyone in the FLW in the early days. HE CHOSE not to wear a FLW sponsor shirt because he wasnt getting paid by them, he wanted to wear his Bass Pro/Nitro stuff and they wouldnt let him. Since then the FLW sponsors have added a payment and incentive clause to wearing the sponsor shirt on the cut days.

I hope you can get all of that, I kind of ran around it a bit.

Mini

Now to drag this further away from the original post... Lund is going to be fielding a glass walleye boat. They have a consumer model on the way to showrooms now... an 18-19 Tyee...(deep V) and the Pro V to compete with Ranger will be out soon... All of the glass models are being built by Triton.

That being said, it is guessing game time... will Lund start offering contingency dollars?

Ranger is having an advertising field day... Dogs sleeping with cats... what next?

On the otherhand, Triton cut most if not all of their walleye Pro Staff.

Ever winter, the boat/tournament world twist and turns in unimaginable ways...

Mini, maybe you should create a job and work for BassFan, WalleyeCentral and Walleyefirst (and the other boards) just running down and confirming or deflating rumors and misinformation/information.

Certainly cannot blame Skeeter/Yamaha for jumping in (I believe it is again for Skeeter)

You mean like a snopes of the fishing world? lol

no one person could keep up with all the rumors that fly in this industry!

yes it is skeeter and bassfan reported yamaha is in the works (it has not been confirmed by yamaha, but as they said...there is too much smoke to not have a fire)

BTW they not only cut alot of walleye guys, but a ton of bass guys too.

All companies are trying to get costs under control. You will see alot of companies do what Berkely is doing for its Pro Staff....all of it will be performance based contingencies.

Quite a few sponsor deals in the walleye side have been discontinued. Several of the FLW wrapped boat deals have ended and while new ones may be forthcoming, nothing except the cancellations have been announced. My friend, LaMarr Van Damme, was let go as the Prostaff Coordinator at G3, and he is not being replaced. They will just send some factry guys out with a support trailer. No "BIG" presence at the registration and no confirmation that they will continue as a named sponsor of the FLW. They were a good fit with the absence of Lund since 2004. But, they really didn't have a tournament quality boat till this last season (2007). They had some good stick but no "Big Names" on the team. So, it seems that without instant success they are bailing. Same thing as Polar Kraft. The manufacturers don't get it. We are somewhat a "conservative lot". We like kids and dogs. We salute the flag and do live and act bit more slowly than the Big City Boys... They need to work their way into our hearts with success not promises.

I bet even Lund has a slow acceptance of their new glass boat. Even though everyone knows it is built by Triton and designed by them with Lund.

Well Lund and Triton are owned by the same company....

Lots of Pro Staff Coordinators losing their jobs. Heck I was one at All Star....

Wait, I thought you were on the "Hooters" Pro Staff...LOL All the great pics I have seen over the years were not "work"? You were having fun! I am appalled. Simply, appalled!

I was on the Hooter of Sterling Hts Pro Staff :)

But after they switched managers every 4 months I got sick of it....

I got enough on my plate now, but Hooters is/was a good sponsor!

I fish a team tournament trail with my son called Fishers of Men (besides my other trails). I was told by a very reliable source that Triton is pulling their money from the big trails but are still going to invest in the sport. The difference is they are going to put the dollars where they can benefit the every day guy and not focus on the King's of the sport any longer. We have a Legacy series and last year we had one championship event and gave away one Triton. In 2008 we will have three and a new Triton will be given away at each event. On top of that they will continue to give away five others as well. I have to applaud Triton for giving back to the every day guy that cannot afford a new boat every year. I am not naming any names but I know several pros that have multiple boats, motors and much, much more that they have to sell or hoard. That is why I think it is a positive step for the sport. I am a Nitro Man 100% so don't get me wrong I think all the sponsors should look to the grass roots trails to spread the wealth. Hows that for ramblin Mini?

The Dragon

Done with class and truth.

Just as many companies have tried to do, most will be concentrating efforts on the grass root angler with sponsorship dollars. I ave heard that Triton, Skeeter, Nitro and BassCat are revamping some contingency programs too. But all those have been rumors.

It's all long over-due, IMO...............it's the "weekender's and little guys/gals" that put the MONEY in these company's coffers anyway.........NOT the Pro's!! The Pro's SELL.....they don't BUY. (Not anywhere to the extent that the little people do!!);)

When it comes to boats, I agree. But baits I have to argue (unless teh angler is sponsored by the company that is selling the hot bait).

Take this past season when the swimbait bite was incredible. I would venture to guess that EACH angler in the Elite Series averaged a purchase in excess of $2k in swimbaits alone.

I know it is an isolated case, but the local hot baits (can you say GULP in the Great Lakes) sell out when the pros come to town....

The "hot" local baits sell out whenever any good sized tournament comes to town. I fish the FLW League as well as Tour events, and believe me, the League guys buy like there is "no tomorrow".

The smart money would be on "performance"... And, "impressions". I would be shoveling my "sponsor" dollars to guides and lots of local guys who are "hot sticks" in their area. The name recognition and exposure from the pros is limited to their TV time and the attendance at the weigh-ins. Magazine ads tout the success of a pro at at particular venue. Smart guys know if that venue is similar or not to their needs. The weekend angler may buy one or two of that magazine ad bait if he is planning a trip. But, he smart guys aren't influenced by that ad as much as they are by the local dock talk.

Greg hit the nail on the head. The most important reason I have sponsors is that I guide and I put my sponsors baits/products in the consumers hands. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have brought to Yamamoto and Gamakatsu. If you look, Gary Yamamoto has a pretty good pro staff and not too many big names (only me:p). There is a reason for that. He's as smart as they come. Took me 4 years of buying baits (lots of baits) to get my deal with them. First the guide program then pro-staff. Some of the Bass Pro stores use pro staff like me and give away trips. I can tell you I have sold a lot of BPS rods and reels from the deck of my boat after a client gets the chance to use them!! The pros ie, Van Dam and friends, have their place but not until you get elite status and get the week in and week out TV coverage. Savy sponsors are requiring more and more from pro staff and you better be able to document everything you do. It ain't easy and at a certain point, the juice ain't worth the squeeze so you have to get good spponsors and treat them well, read....work your arse off for them. Shows, seminars, trips, and on and on. And anybody that thinks shows are are breeze....ask Mac, Mini, or Greg how much "fun" they are. I like them, but they are hard work. Point being, bring some of those perks to my level and I'll turn em' into gold!!

TOXIC

Shows are easy for Mac....he sits on his arse all day! lol

Mini...

How can you tell if he is sitting on the right part... I thought you said he was all "a$$"...:eek: (I am so bad... Father forgive me...):lol:

I know he is good when his hands are ON the table.

That is an impressive program in the TBF/FLW. It would seem as BASS/ESPN dilutes the Jr. program... TBF/FLW continues to promote and support the Juniors.

Fished the clubs/Federation, MBAA, Red Man, and opens in SC/South East since 1980. Wow that's 28 years worth of TX fishing!!! I gave that nonsense up when the stupidity level rose to astonomical levels where it still remains. I fish when I want to fish.

Well here is an e-mail I received from ESPN as a reply to one I sent. Does this guy really think anyone believes his "excuse" that this was done to "enhance" the youth program? Talk about a "schill"!

"I have received your email and I appreciate your input regarding BASS'

decision to move the Junior Bassmaster World Championship (JWC) to

coincide with the Federation Nation Championship. We didn't take this

decision lightly.

I understand that change is always difficult, but I ask you to

understand the need to reevaluate the entire BASS Youth program. We are

currently looking at ways to enhance the whole program in order to allow

it to prosper in the long run. I ask you to bear with me in this time of

change and understand that youth is still an important initiative at

BASS. I understand your disappointment but I want to reiterate that we

are excited about the future for our youth program and we are still

committed to this important sector of anglers.

Don Corkran

Director, BASS Federation Nation

BASS/ESPN Outdoors "

I am disgusted by this man's total lack of integrity and honor. Have the decency to speak thr truth or keep silent. But, do not "blow smoke" up my a$$...

Latest posts

Back