Chine walk?????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Eder2

Reaction score
My fishing partner has a new Z8 and is have some chine walk problems at about 75 mph.I was driving this morning and at about 73-75 it starts to chine walk.Everybody says you can drive through that but my gonads would not let me.It has a 225 Pro XS and an 8 inch plate.My question is up or down with the jack plate???? This is a great boat and really nice to drive and fish out of.BTW still had a small amount of throttle left at that speed but couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Trim down a little and go for it. It sounds like you need some more seat time before you start adjusting.

BF

Dude - 75mph!! Holy Cow bat man!!! I get a little chine walk on smooth days around 55-56 on my Nitro is I hit it just right, I am SOO minor leagues I can't help you dude!! Let us know how it goes, i'm just sitting here thinking MAN I hit a hair over 76mph one day with Dan J in his 929 with a 250xs in a COLD morning, I thought I was in a Ferarri Enzo!!!

75 in a boat is quick. I'm lucky my 60hp gets 32. How many times do you skip if you hit the water at 75?

I had to put my baseball cap on backwards, once, but it was into a strong headwind. Not many lakes around here you can legally break 10mph.

down.drop it about a quarter of an inch at a time.the more you drop it,the better hole shot,water pressure,and stability you will have.But your topend speed will drop with it.you just gotta find a happy medium.Mark on the jackplate where it is now,then drop it and try it.

Now that is what I am talking about, 75 yee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I will get me one of those at some point. Lots of good info on here.

Not to be the buzz killer but that has to be speedo readings. It is highly unlikely that a 225 on a Z8 would push that speed. The key to stopping chine is to correct it before it gets too intense. Small steering corrections to the left will usually tame it down but you cannot drive through it....unless you want to get tossed!!:lol:

TOXIC

I have a 2010 (Z-8 225 ProXS) that ran 73 gps right out of rigging without ever touching anything, I think I could tweak one or two more mph out of it maybe.

Those are great speeds then. May have to look at swapping out my 929 for a new one!!..........Nah, I like the payment on mine..,zero. But with a 225 efi set up right, I can run 67 all day with a double tournament load and I thought I was doing good.

TOXIC

i believe it.i could get 72mph in my 08 898 with a 200opti on gps with just me,and no gear in the boat.i was also chine walking-scarey.i dropped the jp about a quarter inch and the chine walk stopped,holeshot was better,but top speed dropped to 70mph.

Hey toxic those are belivable numbers trust me, have a friend that just bought a z8 with 225 proxs and he has what i call a set back plate not a adjustable jack and he is getting 73 Gps with full tournament load and 2 people. he's running a 26" fury. That 225 is a very strong power plant.Actually theres a guy on BBC running a 200 proxs with a non adjustable jack and 25" fury running 71GPS full tx load. see BBC (anyone road in a new Z-7)

Thanks for all the info guys.He's going to go down a quarter of and inch and try that.Tox-yes 75.

Trep - That was a 250XB I had back then. The last of the greatest motors IMHO. That EFI was the most responsive and lightest on the transom (weight to power ratio) I ever owned. Great motor, but you couldn't pour pi$$ out of a boot faster than that thing drank gas!! :lol: I still think it was the best mainstream motor to hit the market, born from Merc Racing. IMHO

Latest posts

Back