Evinrude xp 150 missing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Shelton

Reaction score
Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by krimsonnation, 4/9/2012 08:29 ET

Category - Motors

[[[[[[[[[[[So a buddy of mine is having problems with his motor. He is running a 1989 Evinrude XP 150 on a 1991 Shadow. The motor cranks and idles fine but then starts "cutting out" at high speeds, anything over 40. He took it to a mechanic who cleaned carbs and replaced fuel lines. He said the motor was running better, he only tested it with water hose. Buddy took the boat back out and it still does the same thing. He said he pulled the spark plugs and all but 1 had oil on them.1 plug still looked as clean as the day he bought it. Any ideas from the motor heads?]]]]]]]]]]]]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright we are still having trouble with this engine. We did find water in the cylinder and replaced the head gasket and went ahead and put new plugs and wires on. The engine cranks and idles great. It even runs well at first but it starts to cut out after the engine warms and it then it will miss after the initial cut out. The fuel bulb seems to hold pressure and we have also checked the vent tube for the tank. Any ideas?

re: Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by BobG,4/9/2012 11:28 ET

If the primer bulb is old, I'd replace that and the fuel filter. I'd also verify that the mechanic replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the motor. After that, you'll need Bob B. to chime in.

re: Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by Bob B.,4/9/2012 15:01 ET

COILS. The weak link. Do as Bob G. said with the fuel components, then we'll take it from there.

Certified Merc Service Manager ......cut me and I bleed BLACK.

re: Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by krimsonnation,4/9/2012 15:32 ET

He has replaced all the fuel lines and bulb. Is there a way to figure out which coil to replace?

krimsonnation

re: Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by Bob B.,4/9/2012 16:04 ET

One at a time, with a spark gap tester.

Certified Merc Service Manager ......cut me and I bleed BLACK.

re: Repost : Evinrude 150XP (1989) by krimsonnation,4/12/2012 13:41 ET

Well the coils checked out good. We had the motor cranked and while it was running we messed with the primer solenoid turning the red lever and the motor quit missing. Any ideas?

krimsonnation

Ignition module/power pack on right side of motor. I had the exact same problem with an XP 150 a few years ago. Dealer replaced stator, plugs, wires, coils, rebuilt carburetors, etc, but engine still misfired. After shelling out nearly $2500 & losing the use of my boat while it was in the shop, I bought a $200 ignition module/power pack & installed it myself in about 45 minutes & I NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM. The engine performed better than it EVER had before.

If you turned the primer lever and it stopped missing, the motor is being deprived of fuel. Either the delivery to the carbs or the carbs themselves. Start with the least expensive and remove the carbs, clean and inspect. ;)

Back