Cast Iron Skillet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Creamer

Reaction score
Last night I bought a cast iron skillet at cabela's. Ive never owned one before but have heard people talk about them very favorably so I thought I should give it a shot. In the box that I got, it has instructions on how to season the skillet and all, but I wanted to know what some of the people that have them and use them a lot do to get the flavor.

Keep in mind that I have never used one of these before, and dont know how to cook, clean, season, or take care of a skillet.

Also, what all does everyone cook in a cast iron skillet? Is there anything that cooks better or more flavorful in the skillet? Any little tricks would help me out a lot as I try to get use to this new type of skillet...Thanks.

Josh

Cast iron cooking....now your talking my language!!!

I season mine with LARD....not oil or shortening....coat it generously, add a little salt, and put it in a 500 degree oven for several hours.

When you use it, DO NOT WASH WITH SOAP.....just rinse it out and wipe clean, spread a thin layer of lard in it, and it's ready to use again

EVERYTHING tastes better in cast iron!!!

A properly seasoned cast iron skillet, is a great tool. However, you will need to season it (as suggested with the instructions) first, and then just keep using it over and over.

Couple of things to remember. Cast iron retains heat very well. It heats slowly, and also cools slowly. If you put it on a burner on 'medium', it will take awhile for it to reach 'medium'.

If I was going to season it, using the instructions given, the first thing I would do is use bacon grease as the seasoner. That's just personal preference. If you use bacon grease, try not to include the 'bits and pieces'. Also, see Ken's note above.

Some absolutely swear that you can NEVER was the pot traditionally. Some just say use water and a scrub brush/scraper. No soap, as it will tend to remove the seasoning.

Hope this helps. As an old time boy scout leader, I can tell you that you can cook 'anything' in a cast iron dutch oven.

Tex

Being from South Louisiana my family has been cooking with cast iron pots and skillets for a few generations. Bottom line is season it and the more you use it the better it will be. We cook everthing in a cast iron ....from frying fish, to eggs, to stews, jambalaya's, pretty much anything you cook in a regular pot and pan can be cooked in cast iron, and again the trick is cooking with it often so its gets good and seasoned....

when my grandmother passed away, the prize positions that where split up between her kids where her cast iron pots and pans....most where used for 50+ years.....

When clean ours a little differnent, we use hot water and soap....then we after we clean the pot we dump the water and soap out and put it back on the stove and turn the heat back on for a few minutes until the pot is dry....then we coat the pot with oil....and store....

Do what Ken and Tex said to do... My Dad taught me to wipe it clean with newspaper but that was a long time ago.:) Some years ago Nancy, my wife, thought she was going to do me a favor by really cleaning my cast iron skillet. She told me it took her forever:D I didn't have the heart to say anything at the time. Of course now she knows better.

Bill

Season it, inside and out!! Don't forget the outside of the pan and put a cookie sheet under it to catch drippings.

I agree with Tex, bacon grease all the way, just use a lower temp in the oven, 500 is well beyond the smoking point for bacon grease.

The first couple uses, try to cook food with a lot of fat, bacon, fry chicken, etc... This just helps the seasoning.

I never use soap on mine. Hot water and a nylon brush. If something is burnt on, put water in the pan, set it to boil and then brush it out.

Cast iron skillet is one of my favorite ways to cook a steak, heat the skillet up medium high heat, and sear both sides of the steak for about 2 minutes per side, then put the skillet in a 325 oven for about 8-10 minutes to finish cooking. Delicious!! You may have to play with the time in the oven depending upon the cut of steak and your preferences.

Corn bread is good too. Fry up a couple slices of bacon, pull out the bacon, then put the skillet and grease in a cold oven and preheat to 400, mix up your favorite corn bread batter, dump it in the preheated skillet and bake.

Rich D

Darn Rich, my niece hasn't gotten here yet with my lunch and now my stomach is REALLY growling.:) I'm going to try that teak thing when I get a chance.

Bill

Yeah, I got a craving now too...

Fried potatoes....mmmmm....I forgot....Slice them up butter with a little oil to prevent burning, leave them alone until you get a good browning, flip em over, add a little onion....Man I'm hungry!

For my 18th birthday I received my mothers #12 cast iron skillet, it had been my great grandmother's. #8 is a standard size skillet. A #12 will hold 3 whole chickens for frying. That's the best birthday present I've ever recieved.

Kat

I have a bunch of them as I was raised on them..I have Griswolds and I have all sizes..I have never used soap on mine..Just water and then heat It re-oil her and shes ready to go again ,and they never stick........Who needs teflon....JR :D

My no good thieving uncle took my grandmothers skillets, and my older brother grabbed our mother's. I had to start my own! Luckily the above mentioned uncle heard of my wrath and got me a set as a wedding gift.

And this may seem like common sense, but just in case, always use a pot holder when grabbing the handle!

Rich D

great advice here make sure you always return to the stove after washing till all dampness is removed then lightly coat with veggie oil or lard this is to avoid rust..

never i mean never coat for storage with olive oil worst mistake i ever made it will become gumy

Kathy,

Three fried chickens. We'll be right over. Somebody bring some cornbread. Trep, you are in charge of the brew.

Me, I'm bringing my appetite!

Tex

Cast Iron is the only..and i mean only skillet u can make cat head bisquits in, or cornbread for that matter. I also am from Louisiana and we also wash our cast iron with soap and water...dry it and then coat it lightly with cooking oil for bacon drippins to keep it from rusting.:D

I had forgotten about iron skillets. My mother could fry everything from eggs over easy to pancakes without them ever sticking. My wife is strictly a Teflon girl. I'd like to have a good ol' iron skillet but we have one of those stoves with the all glass top that has a red light that heats up. I guess that would work as well as it does with the crappy aluminum skillets we use now.

Harpo

Cast iron the way to go. We have been using them in the family for 80 years. They were made here locally for a long time. After you have them well seasoned you can use soap and water and wash lightly. Just dry on the stove and lightly oil while hot with oil and a paper towel and let cool. The seasoning is really to get a good amount of carbon in the pores and helps with flavor. Oil while still hot this allows the oil into the pores before they close while cooling. Some traditionalists will really freak out over washing with soap and oil but it is ok as long as you oil back. My wife cooks the best pineapple upside down cake in one. When she takes it out of the oven she flips it immediatly while holding a plate over the opening. This must be done fast and carefully. You do not want melted brown suger on you anywhere. Then slowly lift the pan while the cake settles out on the plate. If done properly it is perfect and irresitable. Of course any fried meat or potatoes are great. The secret is the skillet has such even heat distribution. If you can ever find one at an auction buy it. And if it is a Griswold brand really buy it. Sets with matching lids are extra rare on older sets. premium price if they can be found. Oh yeah the older the better on cast iron stuff. Just watch for cracks on old ones at auctions.

I'm not so sure I'd want any cast-iron skillets in my house. When the wife gets upset with me and slings an aluminum skillet at me, it just bounces off! But an iron skillet.....

I may have to start minding my manners better!

RoyC

I just went out yesterday and bought myself a preseasoned Lodge 7qt dutch oven.

First, preseasoned is the way to go!! Just rinsed it out with some hot water and it was ready to cook. I made a chicken in it last night, absolutely delicious. Made it just like a pot roast (only cooked hotter and faster).

Now I need to figure out where to store it... Has to be down low in the cabinets, at 20lbs, it will kill someone if it falls out of an upper cabinet.

Rich D

You might consider keeping it under your pillow in case you have a prowler in the middle of the night.:lol:

Harpo

Back