Carli-i-i-i! They're her-r-r-re!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Oh, man! Hugh Heffner ain't got nuthin' on me!! Those Bunnies got the cutest little..... Uh..... Tails!!! And skin so soft.....

It's gonna take me a couple of days to work up some really good buggers..... But I'll get it done by this weekend..... And, then, I'll pick out some of the best and send them to you!

me!

Scott,

The bunnies aren't as big as you thought they were...are they? But they will produce!!! LOL

The Skin-So-Soft is when the flies start swarming!!!

Take your time with the buggers....whenever you get a round "tuit" will be fine!!! That should keep you out of trouble for a few minutes anyway!! LOL

Carli

Aw-ww, Carli..... You let Rob in on our secret!

OK, Rob..... Carli and I found out that we both tie flies. So she sent me some of her Bass Bunnies and I'm sending her some of my Wooley Buggers!

She's also an Avon Rep and sent me a sample of Skin-So-Soft Insect Repellant.

That's ALL there is to it! (sigh)

me!

I was wondering why it was gonna take you a couple of days to work up some boogers. Allergy season started here in E. Texas and there's plenty of boogers RIGHT NOW!

Scott,

He wouldn't have figured it out....his mind isn't in the right place!!! LOL

Adam.....not BOOGERS......BUGGERS!!!!!! (oh UCK!!!!!)

Scott,........"Skin-so-soft"?.....Bunnies??.....Chocolate covered strawberries and blueberries??? and STILL single??!! ,.....You are now officially "Under Suspicion!!!".............LOL...you're pushing the envelope little dog!!!

OK Scott - since we now KNOW you tie flies, what have you got or make for bass? I've just started using my fly rod for bass in our neighboorhood pond, caught 1 small bass on a streamer (also caught my 1 Pike in Canada on a streamer).

I am a REAL beginer with the fly rod (you don't want to be within 50 yards of me when i'm casting!

The flies I tie, Michael, are mostly for trout. But I use the Wooley Buggers in streams for small mouth and in ponds for bluegill. I have a lot of luck with them, but I sent some to both Rich and John Foster last year and they didn't do worth squat! I'll post a picture of some tomorrow - along with Carli's Bass Bunnies - after I tie some and bring them to the office to take a digital picture.

Greatest thing on neighborhood ponds: Those little rubber-legged poppers! Bluegill can't resist! Great fun on a 5-weight, 8 or 8 1/2 foot rod!

If you want a really neat project, try one of Cabela's rod building kits!

Mac - I keep tellin' you guys..... I'm holding out for Cass, Barb, Carli or Penny or one of their sisters! Or almost any woman who loves to fish and has a boat! I said "almost".....

Carli, I KNEW they'd think that! What the eyes see and the brain interprets don't always match!

me!

Scott is our own (little - HA!) version of Rudolph Valentino, or better yet - Milton Berle!

Scott - I'll have to try those poppers, i've got one I picked up years ago. I have a small assortment of dry flies for trout, but have not had much luck (haven't realy tried yet either).

Ken are you saying Scott looks like Sandra Dee????? ROTF!!!

Scott...trout? Bluegill? What are those?? LOL There's ONLY one kind of fish in my book....BASS!!!

I use those Bass Bunnies on my Spinning tackle...with or without weight....6 - 8 pound line.

Carli

Scott:

Maybe you need to get Carli to go out on the Current River with you and connect with a couple of those "modest" 5 or 6 pound trout. Then, if she is lucky enough to hook into a twenty pounder, she'll be hooked herself!

you never told me you tied flies.you wouldn't believe what i gave away about a year ago. i'll fill you in at the next meeting. stan. p.s. your gonna kill me.

Mark -

You weren't on the board when I told the story about "the one that got away" on the Current River..... An honest-to-God-True story..... Fish that we estimated at 30" on 4# line! I fought the son-of-a-gun for 45 minutes! Well..... Maybe "fought" isn't a fair description..... I couldn't do nuthin' with him! I just hung on and let him swim where ever he pleased!

At one point, he went under a log out in the middle of the hole..... Nuthin' to do but dive into the cold water and put the rod under the log to keep the line from breaking!

Finally, after 45 minutes, he got tired of playing with me..... We were at the end of a fairly large pool, just before a swift little chute..... The only net I had was one of those typical trout nets - and he was as big around as it was! I kept trying to just get one end of him in - but he kept bouncing off..... Finally he bounced between my legs, into the chute and "PoP" went my line.....

Kept going back to that hole, the one above it and the one below all summer long hoping to get another shot at him..... He's still out there!

Honest-to-god, Mark..... That is a True story! Even I couldn't make one up like that!

me!

P.S. That happened about 5 years ago, before they went to artificials only on the Trophy Trout section of the Current. I used to catch minnows and use them for bait.

Scott:

All I can say is.....WOW! I believe you. I saw a guy down at Taneycomo lock into one on a fly rod. I never saw the whole fish, but the thing stuck its tail out of the water once. The spread from top to bottom went eight, maybe nine inches. There was no way he was going to land that thing with 4x tippet. It took off hard and he had to re-tie.

I grew up in Colorado fishing for trout. It's kinda disappointing to go back home after fishing for them here.

Believe it or not, my most profound and truly special time fishing was on Taneycomo fishing for trout during the brown run in '94. It was my last semester of college and I didn't have a boat so I'd taken up fly fishing on Taney to give me an excuse to skip more classes.

It was about 3:00 in the morning, beautiful moonlit sky and just a little snow falling. No generators had run all day so you could go just about anywhere you wanted. There was only one other guy fishing the river there and several times we commented on us being "the only ones dumb enough to be out here". We couldn't buy a fish.

Finally, I waded across the river to what ya'll call the "rebar area". Spent about 15 minutes sitting on a log as wave after wave of widgeon and mallards landed all around me. Couldn't see much, but was still very awe-inspiring. After the duck action subsided, I stood up and went back to stripping the big, black Wooly Bugger through the deeper riffles (see, Carli, I knew what ya'll were talkin' about!)

After several minutes of this with no success, I cast my fly to some slack water on the outside bend of a riffle, shoved the rod (a beautiful Orvis 3-weight given to myself as an early graduation present -- even though I didn't know if I was going to actually graduate!) under my arm and reached for a fresh dip of Copenhagen. After I put the tin of snuff back into my vest, I lifted the rod tip a bit only to find my fly snagged on something. As I started wading toward the snag and reeling in the slack line, the snag started to swim!!

"FISH ON!" I yelled, but soon realized the other fellow must have left. There really wasn't a whole lot of fight to this fish, however. I actually thought for a second time that I really did have a snag and was just trying to fool myself into thinking that it was a fish. I waded up onto dry ground and sort of drug the fish with me.

When I got her close I realized that this was a pretty big fish. It wasn't until I turned on my little mag-lite, though, and shined it down on her that I saw what an amazing fish I had there. My big 'ol black Wooly Bugger was perfectly placed in the upper lip of a beautiful female German brown trout. I put the mag-lite in my mouth, laid my rod on the ground and cradled both hands around this behomoth. Now I know what Marty Babussa felt like when he caught the MO state record (21.75#, I believe) just below the dam the year before. This fish was no record, but still weighed at least 17 pounds. She just laid there, though, and let me admire her. Until I realized that eggs were coming out of her and she was far from spawned out.

The little devil on my shoulder screamed, "MOUNT HER!!"

The sportsman in me said, "Let her go, she'll make even more and bigger ones."

It was the middle of the night, freezing cold, no camera, no witnesses....I blew her a little Jimmy Houston kiss and pushed her back into the deeper, faster water. Not too proud to say that I did it with a little tear in my eye.

What a fish! That was also the last time I fished for trout. I ended up graduating after all and then Uncle Sam got me again. Ended up back in Georgia, bought my first Nitro and the rest is history....

AWESOME story, Adam. From those of us who continue to enjoy fishing for big browns and 'bows at Taney, thanks for putting her back.

Great story, Adam!

After my battle with the fish, several people mentioned how neat it would have been to mount it - but I responded that I couldn't have killed the fish..... Just a picture would have sufficed!

There happened to be a fisheries biologist there while we were talking; he surprised the heckout of me..... "By all means" he told me. "Remove a fish that size. The stream can only support so many fish; by taking one 15-pounder out, you make room for five 3-pounders or fifteen 1-pounders."

For whatever it's worth..... I still don't know if I could take such a magnificent creature out.

me!

Hey Stan.....

You never asked!! (if tied flies) Sooooo now you know my secret!!! Soooo be a nice guy and don't tell rest of the guys in the club, huh? LOL

Hey Stan.....

You never asked!! (if tied flies) Sooooo now you know my secret!!! Soooo be a nice guy and don't tell rest of the guys in the club, huh? LOL

Latest posts

Back