Canada - airline/baggage woes getting there

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, here is one of the stories, that was with us for the week.

While waiting for the tubro-prop flight to International Falls, they announced that the flight was 'weight restricted'. Did anyone want to wait till the 5:00PM flight (arriving around 6:20PM), and get a voucher? No bites. Most on the flight (about 75% were fishermen heading to Canada).

We get to International falls, and three bags didn't come. One of Gene's bag along with his rod case (attached to the bag). My small suitcase (extra stuff including all the smallmouth gear - Lake of the Woods) and my stuff for the final 2 days. Also, the Bazooka rod case with both mine and Trep's rods in it. They expected all to be on the flight later, and would be brought up by the cab company. We had to stop in Customs (Canadian) to fill out paperwork that would allow them to come up.

Got up there and did all the usual stuff. Got licenses, bought some snacks/food for the overnight cabin, and then met up with the others in our party driving in.

On Sunday morning, we get to the base camp and Gene's bag has come in, but not the other two. We got no RODS to fish with, and the outfitters only have 1 spinning rod to loan. We head to the bait/tackle shop and buy 2 baitcasting rods and 1 spinning rod. We finally get up there. The outfitters said that they were not expecting to be 'up to our cabin/lake' during the week, so even if they came in, we probably wouldn't see it.

On Tuesday (maybe Monday for all I remember), planes started arriving at the other cabin on the lake. We were hoping for the other bag and rods, but wasn't sure. Michael and I were out fishing for Northern's and another boat shows up from the other cabin with two people in it. All types of equipment in the boat (cameras, computers, underwater cameras, etc. It's the 'In-Fisherman' production crew (or part of it), up there filming a promotional video for Nestor Falls.

Turns out that the person in the boat we had met at the airport on Saturday, and he asked if we were missing a bag. He then lifts up my missing suitcase, and delivers it to us 'boat to boat' in the middle of the lake. Unfortunately, no rod case.

More on the promotional video later.

Upon our return to the base camp on Saturday, there was our rod case and missing rods. Turns out it came in the next day, but they put it in Tom's car so it wouldn't get loaded to some other plane/group. They forgot about it, and never sent it up (unfortunate).

By the way Tox, the rod's we bought were all Spro rods.

Tex

Oh yeah. Forgot the good part.

On the return trip home, they gave each of us a $50.00 voucher on NW Airlines for our woes, and upgraded Trep and myself to First Class on the flight back to Atlanta. Nice ride.

Tex

I'll add that to the credit of the Nestor Falls management, when we returned on Sat and found the rod tube in Tom's car, they were very appologetic about the fact that one of the owners put the rods in the car to keep it safe, and she did forget it plain and simple. She did appologize profusely to me numerous times before we left, and I did make it known that one thing I missed by not having my rods was I could NOT fly fish at all.

Luckily it was just the rod case that was missing the whole trip, and not our bag(s) with tackle, reels, clothes and such!!

After my 1st trip to Canada, 7 years ago, I now always drive. That would be really tough having to fish without having all of your gear!

GMB

GMB - Hindsight is 20/20. We figured out on the way back, what we should have done is stopped at the walmart 5 mins from the airport, bought all new rods and IF we did get our stuff on time, we'd just return to Walmart on the way back!!

Trep

Yeah ya big cry baby.....I'll save you one. You might have to come get it this winter and bring "Mackelroy" (and Mini) (and Marke) with ya!! We'll do some Anna Hot side action. Was out there yesterday and the water was 100 degrees...........sheesh!!:eek:. My Senko's were meltin on the hook!! But come winter time it'll be juuuuuuust right!!:D

TOXIC

Sorry for your troubles fellas!! This is the second year in a row for our crew with North"worst" not having our bags in Atlanta coming home. Last year we got them the next day. This year it was 4 days later. Luckily nothing missing or broken. (Amazing!) More importantly, you guys made it there and back just fine. I betch ya can't wait 'til next time!!

Hey Tox, was wondering - what does SPRO stand for? Studly Professional Realistic Outdoorsman??

OK now why are they not making them anymore??

In my discussions with them I was informed that they are not a rod company and although their rods were/are topnoch, the competition is just too great in that area. When the current supply runs out there will be no more manufactured. They want to stick with wat they do best and that is making lures. You have to keep in mind, they have a full assortment for the saltwater fisherman also. I would venture a guess that the saltwater sales are a good portion of their revenue. They are also known for their swivels, they are the best in the industry. The striper fishermen really like their bucktails and they have put a lot of effort into the bass market and are turning out some fantastic cranks (very unique lures). Their plastic frogs are the schnizzle also, you have got to see one in the water with the spinner hooked up to it to believe the action they have.

TOXIC

I don't fish Canadian waters ANYMORE at all and that's just ONE of my reasons!:angry:

They are being total asses about US fishing up there for one thing...They don't need me or my buisness and I don't need them either!:( I'm done....:huh:

Latest posts

Back