Break In

• Thread starter JAMES COWGER [URL]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMES COWGER

Reaction score
Just bought a new boat with a 2002 Mercury 90hp saltwater series.... The dealer and my Tracker Marine owners manual stated break in 1 hour at variable rpms no sustained full throttle which I did. After 1 hour and 20 minutes I opened her up and topped out at 46 mph ran it for I would say 4 to 5 minutes several times all was well. Loaded it and headed for home Smiling all the way, I get home and browse mercury's home page and look up break in procedures it states double oil which I did and 2 hours break in huuuuh I said. Did i harm my new soul mate since my existing soul mate wont let me in the bedroom since I bought the boat. I broke in my 94 Merc 40hp the same way 8years later perfect compression.. Any comments
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/3828/Jan26_01.JPG

Jim - I think you should be fine I don't think 40 minutes will make that much of a difference especially since you did not run her WOT for more than a few minutes at a time. Check out the Grab Bag break in procedure I posted from BPS Atlanta.

That's a nice Bay boat, it's on my list for my next one (in 8 years LOL)! Enjoy and welcome to the family!

TrepMan

Jim,

You did just fine. When we blow a motor and have to get another one hung at the support trailer, we run it an hour at varied rpms from 2000 to 3500, then an hour varied to 5000 breaking the rpms every couple of minutes by 300 or 400 to get a good seat on the rings. Your motor was spun and run in Fond Du Lac before getting boxed. The break in was pretty much set before you got it. As always, it is better to error on the side of safety than not. Good job and enjoy your new toy!

Jim don't loose any sleep over it. It will be fine. On my new motor last season I ran extra oil in my gas tank. Probably 100:1 along with oil injection. Had no problems. I think this season I'll just use the oil injection.

Geeze lots of nice folks out there I really appreciate all of the comments. I sure am gald I found this site I am headed to the saltwater this friday. Im gonna be down around the Matagorda area fishing the Colorado where the water turns Brakish for reds I'll submit a fishing report..

Thanks again

Jim - Is that Matagorda bay, as in down Corpus Cristi way? I am SOO jealous! I lived in Houston for 4 years and fished Galveston bay for Reds, Spec's, Flounder, Spanish Mackeral and the like. Man I miss bay fishin!

Enjoys, be safe and let us know how the trip goes!

Latest posts

Back