Brackish water fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
HI guys, havn't been on here much posting, but still visit:cool: Anyway, I was down in Northeast MD twice now to run my brothers cuddy, which isn't going too well. While at Anchor Marine there was a 45 boat BASS NJ tourny there, I was like huh? Long story short got to talk to some guys there and they said the fishing is great in that area. These guys had regular bassboats and no special saltwater stuff. So my question is, if I want to venture in that part of the world for some new bass fishing places(since its not too far from me), what do I have to do to keep my boat from becoming brackish water broke???? Any ideas from some with expereience? My boat is a 2006 Nitro 189 Sprot 200 opti.

Thanx,

Mike

the water at the northern end of the Chessapeake is more freshwater than brackish water in my opinion, there are at least 5 or 6 tournaments out of the North east river and Sassafrass river every weekend from March until October ,The bass fishing on the upper bay is as good as it gets, 20lb -25lb limits are caught on a regular basis(although not by me)

To answer your question, I've fished there alot of times over the years and i know alot of people who fish there and I have never had any problems with my boat or motor as far as brackish water is concerned nor have I heard of any problems from anyone else.

2X what Doug1003 said. We fish the same water, and I use the WD-40 as well. My trailer is Galvashield, but the rust is coming. I fish weekly, and rinse everything when I get off the water.

NJD

My buddies and I fish (in our bass boats) the marsh in S. Louisiana a lot. We have a camp in Venice La. for duck hunting and fishing. We do all of our fishing in the marsh at the mouth of the river. It's some awesome Bass fishing when the Mississippi River gets low and clears up later in the summer. You catch a falling tide when the water is pouring out of the marsh into the canals, flip the roseau canes with plastic worms, or a crankbait in the run outs and you can really smoke them. It's nothing to catch 100 nice bass in a day. You will also hook up on a few redfish while bass fishing. We don't have any issues with our boats or trailers, but we are launching about 12 miles upriver from where we fish. So the water is really fresh there.

Fishing the Potomac, I deal with salt. There's nothing you can do about it but keep an eye on your trailer. Boats are pretty much immune to the brackish stuff but if you get into real salt they also will suffer. Salt boats have more Stainless Steel parts and there are TM's made for salt. My current boat was used in brackish almost exclusively for its lifespan (2005) and since I just got it, we are going through it stem to stern. Luckily, Ranger uses "Road Armor" coating on its trailers which slows down the damage but doesn't stop it. Everywhere water can get in there is a chance of rust. The brackets that hold my bunks on were wasted and a weld on my trailer axle was ready to let go. Ranger uses a channel trailer and NITRO uses a box or tube which is even worse because they rust from the inside out. Keep the drain holes in the trailer clear and rinse often. What I am saying is that they all will suffer in the salt but some more than others. I still can't upload pics but if you want to see the trailer parts I replaced, go to the link below....

http://www.bbcboards.net/potomac-bass-club/370217-we-done-yet.html

My club fishes out of Anchor Marine every year. No problems with the water. If you fish it take a good look at a map. At the end of the Northeast River and down to the right is known as the Susquehanna Flats. SKINNY WATER! There are marked channels and some that are unmarked, you have to know where you are going in them. Also watch out for the crab trap floats. Furnace Bay is a good place for some nice fish. You can get some good ones in the Northeast too. There are Stripers and some Snakeheads too. Smallies up in the Susquehanna. Good luck if you decide to fish it.

Thanx all, I was going to start fishing there and staying on the main channels, and marinas until I learn the tides and where to go. I was more worried about killin my shiney blue boat and equipment, but it sounds like I'll be ok, I was at the boat show while there too and man those Key West CC boats are nice:cool:

I fish there a lot. I have not had any issues with salt. Rinse your trailer. That is about all I do. It's a awesome place. If I had to pick 1 place in this area to fish it would be the flats. There are a ton of 3-4 lbers that live there. I got a 6# 14 oz last year. Good luck

Latest posts

Back