Bow mount sonar

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Barbieri

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestion or pics on where to bow mount a fishfinder to a 2001 Pro Deep V 17? I just ordered a new Humminbird 787c2 for the console (thanks again Greg!) and was going to move the Matrix 17 up front. Should I mount it up where the trolling motor is to the right of it or down on the floor to the right of the plugs and switches?

Kevin

I have a 16' ProAngler V hull and have mine mounted to the right of the trolling motor.

For me, it is easier to read it there, and less chance I will either kick it into the lake or trip over it and fall into the lake!

Rich D

Hi Rich,

got any pics of it? do you trailer it with it up there?

I don't know if I have a pic at home or not... I will look.

Do you have a cover for your boat? I do, and the cover fits over it fine. When I do tow without the cover, I just pop the unit off and leave the base.

I drilled a small hole to run the wires down through to the bow light wires, and used the little cover plate that came with my matrix to cover the hole. I looped my transducer wire so it goes into the hole, with the excess stored out of sight, then comes out and runs down the trolling motor. It works well. Just drill the hole large enough so you don't kink the wire when you shove it through.

Rich D

ok cool. I have a cover for it yes. I never tow with the cover on though.

I was going to run the wiring to the fuse box instead of splicing in.

I was planning on buying a switch to share 1 transducer for the 2 units as well as the switch to hook the 2 units to the 1 GPS.

Kevin

That will work, though you should check, your boat might be wired for a bow mount already. Mine was, I just had to connect the wires.

I wouldn't worry about the unit blowing out when trailering, I was always more concerned about a stray stone getting kicked up.

Rich D

Kevin - you will LOVE the 787c2! I upgraded at my console to one a few months ago, MAN it is total great, the resolution is amazing, the built in Map software is not as good as the HotMaps or other purchase ones, but it has the lakes, the shoreline, roads and stuff ,and make it easy for me to upload my existing Matrix GPS points that now show up on the map!!

mine is on the front bow plate (Targa), to the right of the trolling motor. I had it mounted on the large Ram Mount so it is totally flexible to allow viewing from wherever I happen to fishing from, plus then for trailering or covering I just fold it down until the Ram Mount is laying on the bow, putting the locator down inside protecting it from stray fly-bys.

Maj

cool, I'll check the wiring, unless anyone out there with a 2001 Deep V 17 can tell me. :)

I also ordered the Navionics Premium 2006 maps for CT! Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back