Bob B. Question....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
My 02' 90 Merc after a day on the lake leaves rust stain droplets right below the pivot point of the motor onto the top cavitation plate where the hose goes in. Is this something I should be concerned about and where's it coming from...the gears?

Thanks,

TEE

I would assume you are talking about the "swivel tube". It's common for water to get in and cause those stains and "droplets". The key is to grease it through the zerk until you see grease out the top and bottom. Wipe clean. Repeat another time or two until it cleans up, after you use it a few times between each. Should have no worries....;)

Hmmm...I keep all the zerks filled but, now that you say that...I'm not sure it's coming out the bottom. I keep ya' posted.

Thanks BOB!:cool:

I could never get the grease to come out of the bottom of my merc 90hp.swivel tube. The more I add grease the more comes out of the top of the swivel. I think there is to much resistance to get it all the way to the bottom. LIke anything else, the grease takes the least path of resistance

Bob B. is it possible to drill a hole, tap and add another grease zerk closer to the bottom of the swivel joint? If so, at what location would you put it?

What I would recommend.......is to remove the zerk fitting and spray liberal amounts of wd-40 down the tube and let it soak. Move it around, repeat a couple of times, re-install zerk and grease accordingly. Old, solidified grease blocks the grease from getting to the bottom...and...this is the part of the tube immersed in water. ;)

That same procedure is what my local Certified Merc Mechanic told me to do. it would have prevented rebuilding of my mid section this past winter.

trust me you DO NOT want to have to replace a swivel pin or exhaust plate! (Close to $1000 EACH on my 225!!!)

Bob, took your advice and it worked a lot better. The tube took a lot more grease before it kept coming out of the top. I must admit it the motor turns a easier but the grease really never came out of the bottom.

I will use it for a while and repeat the process. Thanks for your help.

Back