Boat speed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Daubert

Reaction score
OK, so how much will a few nicks in a prop slow down your boat? Boat dealer is telling me I could get another 4 to 8 mph if I bought a new prop. Not a different one, same prop, just brand new. I don't mind spending the money for a 600 dollar prop, but I darn well better get the MPH he states. What do you all think? I really dont think my prop is that bad at all but I'm no expert.

I'm no expert, but nicks in a prop mean something being hit-could cause bends in the prop that are too subtle to stand out, but with something that high performance it doesn't take too much to mess it up. Years ago a friend of mine rebuilt props, you may be able to get it repaired for less than a new one. I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this though, prop questions always get a lot of response:p

You aren't going to get another 4 to 8 mph out of the same brand, model and size of prop - unless the one you have is pretty screwed up.

Very small nicks, I get repaired every year. Dings? Immediately. And I have my prop shaft checked as well. An out of balance prop can cause other engine problems, as well as rob you of speed.

g8rmac and Daddy Don give good advice - get your current prop reworked by a reputable professional. Just having someone who knows how to balance and rebuild your prop professionally can get you some additional speed. Way cheaper than a new $600 prop too.

All the best,

Glenn

All good advise. ANY prop damage should be dealt with immediately. Just because you can't feel it does not mean there isn't any damage occurring. Think of your auto, and an out-of-balance tire. You feel it. It bothers you, you fix it. With your outboard you CAN'T feel it {unless damage is substantial}, BUT the damage is still going on. Maybe not short term, but long term.....

Performance.....on a high perf rig, a small ding can be as much as 1-2 mph. Think of it this way....on a typical 70 mph boat, to get another 2-3 mph means going from a 200 to a 225...so.....should you have a "tuned prop"....??????

Thanks for the replys guys. Joined this forum when I had an NX 882. Have since traded it in on a Skeeter 21i with a 250 Yamaha Vmax. Sorry, I know this is a Nitro forum but I always get excellent responses here!!! From everything I have seen and been told this boat should easily do 71-73 mph. I can only get 64 gps out of it. Jackplate is set where it should be according to dealer specs. The prop really isn't that bad. Have seen far worse on the lake. The motor had been gone through from top to bottom and is running excellent so I am baffled about why I can't find the speed. Heck I could get 61 out of the 882 so needless to say I am currently a little disappointed to almost double my debt and only get three mph out of it. Boat is fantastic otherwise.

the last few MPH are the most expensive!!!!

but yes you should be seeing 70+ with a 250....HPDI? Which series? I didnt think you could get the old VMAX on an i21

First and foremost, put a Merc prop on it....just kidding...well...not really, but yes seriously....:p

Need more info then we can better assist...

WOT rpm

Water pressure

Approx load

Air Temps

Present prop / dia / pitch

;)

Latest posts

Back