Boat Porpoising

• Thread starter Jordan Tremblay
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I just had my boat serviced at a local dealer and I also got my prop machined due to some small nicks. I took it out for the first time since the service and now the boat is porpoising. Could they have changed something that could cause it to start porpoising? It did not do it before the servicing. Thanks.

You'll need to play with the trim to stop the porpoising....that's not a prop issue,..that's a trim/speed/weight & balance issue.

personal experience: never had water in the bilge at all except for one act of stupidity. Dealer had boat for a couple weeks, sat outside, dumass me took it out on the water all amped up and ready to go. Porpoise!.. reason? Rain. I now remember to check.

Not saying thats your issue, but 3 seconds will confirm its not.

The boat did not do it before I took it into the shop. I did play with the trim, but it was porpoising with the motor trimmed all the way down. When I trimmed it up, it just made it worse of course.

The plug being in is not the issue. I always store and trailer the boat with the plug out so there was no water in the boat. The weight was no different than any other time I have been fishing. I am stumped.

I don't have a hydorlic jack plate, so to change that, they would have to unbolt the engine. Plus, it doesn't appear to have moved as the holes are still painted.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Yes. It had a few nicks from an "incident" involving a shallow boat launch and not trimming the motor up. So I had the shop machine the prop and polish and all. It looks brand new. But can the prop cause it to porpoise? It looks about the same, it just looks like the shaved down the nicks and welded it smooth.

Any idea if this could affect it? Do I need to buy a new prop? Man I hope not.

Is it stainless and was it polished before?

Reason I ask is mine is a Quiksilver SS prop but, has the brushed finish.

I ask a buddy if he thought I would get more speed by polishing and he said no.

He said it would porpoise....

Yep a prop can cause it to porpise. If they botched the repair job thats the first place i would start. I had a raker for my old champ that i had fixed by a "general repair" prop shop and all they did was grind off the nicks and it was never the same after they were thru with it. I lost a bunch of speed and it didnt have the bite on the water that i had when it was new. The loss of blade surface area was the culprit.

What i would do is see if you can borrow a prop from a friend and see what that does. If that fixes it then you found your issue.

FWIW a polished finish would not cause a boat to porpise, if it did mine would be bouncing all over the place and thats just not the case.

Here is the scoop on polished vs brushed finish from on of the leaders in high perfomance props.

POLISHED VS. BRUSHED FINISH

Here is the truth about a polished vs. brushed finish on your propeller.

Some companies will tell you that a propeller with a brushed finish is faster

than a polished prop - NOT TRUE. Also, I would love to tell you that a polished

prop is faster - but that is also untrue. Yet there are advantages to a

polished prop. Some companies just don't want to take the time and labor to

polish. But it's your prop - and you should make the judgment. If brushed

props were faster, every major company would have a brushed finish, and

you would not see a polished prop anywhere. It's just not true.

Here are the real advantages of a polished prop:

As you know, prop blades crack, especially in high performance "High X"

dimensions. If a crack is starting, you can see it like a crack in a mirror. At

this point, you may be able to repair your prop before it's too late. It is much

harder to see a hairline crack in a brushed finish, and if you loose a blade -

you replace the prop. Also, with a high gloss finish, if there is poor

workmanship - you can see it. A brushed surface can cover up poor

workmanship, not to mention the obvious reason of how good a polished

prop looks at the boat launch!

Mine came form the factory at Quicksilver with a brushed finish. You can order them either way.

What if I don't have a friend that has the same size prop that I do. What is my next option? Bring it back to the Prop Shop that did the work?

I already spent a lot of money getting my boat ready for the season and I thought I was doing the right thing getting the prop machined...I hope I didn't make a mistake. I paid almost $100 to get the prop work done...I hope I don't have to spend a few hundred more on a new one.

I have a friend that had a porpoising issue with a new stratos and they solved his problem with by moving him from a 25p to 27p prop as well as a jack plate adjustment. In some cases the dealers don't know how to set up a boat but the factory will have an expert. Give them a call and they can tell you where the jack plate needs to be set as well as the optimum prop for you boat. Apparently, a lot of dealers will switch up props to make a sale so you may not have the prop that was originally designed for your boat.

Well my boat is a 2001 Nitro 896 with a 200hp Merc. It has never done anything like this until this past month when I got the prop serviced. I am going to call the guy that worked on the prop and talk with him about it. We are the original owners of the boat and it was purchased at Bass Pro in Bossier City, LA so I doubt they are going to be much help. I live in Baton Rouge now so I am definately not going to bring it up to Bossier.

Try Bassboatcentral.com there is a setup forum there. Good luck.

That depends Tox, I have nicks repaired and a new edge put on for 100

The difference being "new edge put on"....meaning steel added and ground/filed back to spec. Did Jordan's repairman do the same?? Did he add steel and then grind/file back to proper spec....OR did he just file the nicks out and call it "fixed". Jordan's prop could look brand new, but the blades could be out of balance or slightly smaller due to being ground down..but nothing was added to bring it back UP to proper specs. BAD deal!

My guess would be the latter....;)

Well I had a just smaller than a half a dime added and the rest balanced and a new edge for 100 (should have been more specific)

Wow...this is so way over my head. I have never done any work or had to replace or even take off a prop for any reason so please bare with me. I guess I will try and get in touch with the guy that worked on the prop after work today and see what exactly he did.

If it costs that much to get a prop worked on properly, how much does a new prop cost? Man, owning a boat gets expensive!

Jordan,...just remember the acronym "BOAT" means: "Break Out Another Thousand":blink::eek:

Seriously,...ask the guy if he just ground out the dings or if he actually ADDED material and then reground it back to specs the way it SHOULD be done. If he says he just ground out the dings,..then DEMAND that he either repair it again and bring it back to proper specs,...OR replace it with another one that you can try first,...your boat should run atleast as good as it did prior to the "fix"...not worse!!

Agree...don't know what but, sumthin' ain't quite right.

And the definition of boat is:

A hole in the water into which money is thrown!

just had some cup added to mine and some metal added to the prop due to bungs...it was in the 175 range (I think)..

I get MUCH better bow lift with the reworked prop...I have not noticed an chance with porpoising though....

If it were me, I'd have the "repair" facility put it back to specs and keep it under the seat for a spare when it returns. (If you can get them to replace it with a new one, WOOHOO!!!) Then buy a new prop and send it to Rich Boger, DAH, Lanier Custom Prop, or one of the several quality prop shops that can blueprint and build that prop as the drive essential for that exact hull as it should be. New prop plus work should be around $500-$600 retail. Good luck! ;)

Wow...that is really expensive. I am going to contact the prop shop that did the work and see what can be done. I can not afford $600 right now.

Man...an easy job to fix a few nicks in the blade is turning in to a huge pain in the neck.

-Jordan

Just got the numbers off the prop.

2001 200hp Mercury Optimax

120 hours on engine

48-825866

25p

Mercury Marine Tempest Plus

That is all of the stuff I know about it. I don't know anything about props so all of this is so foreign to me. I had no problems with this prop until now. I have no need to upgrade to a top of the line prop. I just want my boat to run without porpoising.

Any recomendations on a new prop? Preferable one that is not expensive. I am not looking for anything to give me more speed because I probably only use 150 of the 200 hp that my boat has. Never go over 50mph.

If you'd rather not spend any more money than necessary, insist that the shop that resurfaced your prop put it back to factory specs. First, if you have another good, recomended prop shop that can give a second opinion on the prop's true specs currently, use that in comparison with Merc's spec's and have it returned to the factory measurements. If porposing continues after verified factory measurements are returned, then you have another situation, most likely not prop induced, causing the porposing. You stated that you only go 50mph or less. Are you bobbing at that speed, no matter how you adjust your trim? Your trim is a constant adjustment to monitor when altering speed, load,..etc., changing your hull dynamics.

Jordan,

If you dealt with a reputable shop, and I assume you thought it was, just tell them what's going on with your boat and keep it civil, just like you explained it here. See if they will lend you a prop in order to rule the prop issue out! There isn't any reason in the world they should refuse you a prop to try. And then go test the boat again. If it rides like it used to before the prop was done you'll know what the problem is.

Good Luck

Uncle Billy

Thanks for the information and suggestions guys. Finally got a call back later yesterday afternoon from the prop shop and he was really nice about it.

I am taking the boat to him and he is going to remeasure the prop to make sure all of his work was correct and then he is going to go from there. He said there is no charge. He said he can either lend me a prop or we can go for a ride somewhere close and we can see what the problem is. He was very nice about it.

To clear up an earlier discussion about the work he did...yes he added to the prop. He did not just smooth out the imperfections. I talked to him about it and sounds like he did everything right.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the information.

Latest posts

Back