Boat Ladder Help/Suggestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Neely, P.E.

Reaction score
Alright guys, after reading the previous post on boat ladders, Mrs. Oldgringo and I went to the BPS in Shreveport today and purchased a folding two step transon ladder.

I think I want to screw it to the top of the transon on our 2002 PT 185 as well as surface mounts to the face of the transom. This ladder is to be used for recovery in the event that one, or both of, of our old arses fall/throw each other overboard - not for recreational puposes.

Your thoughts please.

As long as it's out of the water when running on plane, I think it would be great.

lemme know how it turns out...I would like one on mine;)

I've had the same thought lately Greg. I went for a accidental swim in my last boat and got back in by climbing up the motor with help from the trim and tilt switch on my motor. I don't have one on this boat and I don't think I could do that again anyway. When you get yours done, let us know how you did and how it turned out ok?

Uncle Billy

Gringo - I had one on my 2000 PC 175, we used it primarily for recreational purposes but it would be perfect as well IF you ever fell in. It was mounted on the transom (top bolted just below the top of the transom) and folded up it was well out of the water on plane and never effected performance or fishing.

The one I had was this one:

Thanks for the replies. It's on and I did it myself. I mounted it to the top of the transom so as to get as much bottom clearance as possible. We'll be going back up to Fork tomorrow or Wednesday. If it doesn't work right - off it comes.

This is definitely a DIY project requiring tools everyone should have plus 8 SS screws. I'd post a photo if I knew how.

Incidentally, the sawbones said I suffered a TIA the day the Columbia blew up and Mrs. Oldgringo insisted that I do this. I have enough trouble getting out of a chair without trying to drag myself up out of the water, Did I mention clumsy, too?

I would hate to think about getting back in the boat by myself...especially with wet winter clothes on. I've seen how hard it is for my boy to get back in after I take him tubing.

Was it here or BFHP that he guy told the story about falling in and even though his partner was still in the boat they couldn't get him back in so the guy hung onto the side wile the partner use the TM to haul him back to shore so he could get back in.:lol:

Harpo

The ladder works! We just came back from a week and a half on 20-40mph wind blown out Fork. Not many fish, no one drowned; however, old nekid is not real pretty climbing over the transom. :eek:

Glad it worked, any pictures?

Not of nekid gringo's but of the installed ladder?

Latest posts

Back