Boat Back Home!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
I am pleased to report that my 2003 PT 175 was returned to the dealership in Austin June 18. (The boat had been sent back to the factory for a flexing, squeaking left, rear deck.) I picked it up a few days later and I am pleased to report that the factory did a very good job fixing the problem.

The problem area in the deck is now firm and solid. Tracker Marine provided good service in a timely manner. I am especially appreciative of Melissa Huffman, Titling Coordinator at Tracker Marine, for her courteous, prompt, and professional responses to my questions and concerns. Ms. Huffman sent me a letter that included the following comment: "Our warranty team at the manufacturing plant accessed foaming ports under carpet and added 2lbs of foam to fill void in box top. Foam box is now normal."

I recently took the boat out for a spin and it ran really well. (I had the initial 20 hour maintenance service while the boat was with the dealership.) I Still get no readings on my Humminbird XP2000 when the boat is running. Since I am going to mount a 13-in, 2-step ladder on the transom, I need to reposition the transducer anyhow. (Trep sent me a picture and information that were really helpful regarding what kind of ladder to buy.) Any recommendations on repositioning the transducer? Would the transducer work if placed inside the hull in the bilge area?

Thanks for all your previous comments and support.

Bill

Bill,

Attached is a picture of my 2 step + platform ladder on the back of my ProDeep 17. It is a Garelick. Go to the link below and then type in part number 26014 to see the ladder. I used thru bolts when I could fit my fingers on the inside. The unit underneath it is the paddlewheel for my Garmin. The transducer is on the other side of the transom.

Let me know if you want better pictures and I will take some next weekend.

david......
http://www.overtons.com
ladder.JPG

Glad to hear you got your boat back there Bill and everything's good nowwwwwwwwwwwww.................

GO FISH!!! :)

TEE

Transducer will not shoot through metal.

Make sure it is on the transom away from strake trails and not in front of the motor. Loosen the mount and tap the bracket down to make the ducer go deeper and you might want to put a little angle on the ducer as well. (make the back of the ducer slightly lower than the front).

Talked to a service tech at the dealership this afternoon. He said you don't want to mount a transducer inside the bilge area of an aluminum boat. But he said my transducer, now mounted on the top step of my transom, should be mounted on the bottom of the lower step.

David, Thanks for the information and the picture. Looks like a really nice setup. However, I've already bought a two-step ladder from BPS and I think that will meet my needs. And the transducer will definitely need to be mounted on the starboard side of the transom, on the lower step.

Bill

Hey Bill....mine's mounted on the outside of the top step....so the bottom of the notched transom is better?

TEE

TEE, The service tech at the dealership said the lower step, to the side, would be better for mounting the transducer(fewer bubbles and turbulence). And several members on this board have posted comments that the lower the better, away from the prop. But apparently the transducer should not be mounted inside an aluminum hull. My Humminbird XP2000 gets readings all over the place (like 150 ft in 6 ft of water), or no readings, when the motor is running, even when running in idle.

So, since I've got to move the transducer anyway to mount a ladder on the left side of the transom, I'll try what the lower step. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bill

Latest posts

Back