Boat having trouble Planning ***Bob B***

• Thread starter tightline 700lx
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tightline 700lx

Reaction score
I have a 2001 700lx with a 2011 115hp optimax. I was out last weekend and boat would not plane out unless father got on the bow. We were out the weekend before with the same amount of gear and the boat did fine... Im thinking maybo something went wrong on the motor (coil or compressor or something). THe motor just doesnt seem to have as much power.

Hammer down and it would reach 2300 rpm. After father got on bow and we got on plane WOT was around 5000rpm and the weekend before WOT was around 5300 - 5400rpm.

Any advice or words of experience:huh:

A check with the "CDS" {computer diagnostic system} is in order. Usually an rpm drop of 3-400 is {could indicate} a bad coil. Can be tested within an hours time. Always start with the basics...

compression, fuel and delivery, electrical system output. ;)

think i might have found out the problem... i installed the prop without installing the brass wear ring and my prop has worn a 3/4" - 1" grove into my lower unit. does this mean it goes to the shop for repair or can an average joe like me make the repair? I see two lock nuts that i could take off but im not sure if the gears would come out or not... looks like i need bobs help again or someone who has worked on lower units before.

think i might have found out the problem... i installed the prop without installing the brass wear ring and my prop has worn a 3/4" - 1" grove into my lower unit. does this mean it goes to the shop for repair or can an average joe like me make the repair? I see two lock nuts that i could take off but im not sure if the gears would come out or not... looks like i need bobs help again or someone who has worked on lower units before.

OUCH. The damaged "bearing carrier" is easily replaced....but.....have the shop do it. It takes no longer than 1 hour to remove, press out the reverse gear and bearing, replace with new and then pressure check. You are not the only one this has happened to. Consider yourself lucky that your bearing carrier housing bolts to the rear of the 'case. If it were a V-6, you'd have to replace the 'case...:huh:

yeah now i feel lucky and stupid at the same time... thanks alot for all your help.

Back