Boat choice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Wofford

Reaction score
I am current owner of a 1999 nitro savage 912dc with 99 optimax 225, galvanized trailer and motorguide 82lb 24 volt trolling motor. I would say boat is in fair condition. Currently looking at a 2003 nitro nx898dc with 04 optimax 200, painted nitro trailer, and 36 volt 101 lb thrust minn kota trolling motor. boat appears to be in good condition. Is this boat worth the upgrade? Anyone with experience with the 898?

I own the same boat(saltwater version) except with a 150 XR6(my boat is way underpowered). I am extremely pleased......great storage, large deck, room for 4 group 31 batteries and charger, large rod lockers, livewell, etc. This hull is heavy and getting a decent holeshot can be a challenge. You may be ok with the 200Opti. Suggest you test drive the boat, with your normal load, to evaluate. Also, if you fish current, I recommend a 36 volt trolling motor. I've owned and looked at many bassboats over the years. By far, my 898 best meets my all around needs. Let me know if you have more questions.

If you launch in salt or brackish water you will need to change out that painted trailer.

Thanks for the information. Just trying to decide if it is worth the trouble of selling mine and starting over with this boat. From the pictures I have seen the boat I am considering is definitely in better shape than my current one. Just looking for feed back because I like the size, stability, and storage of mine.

Trying to judge the 'knowledge' and experience you have in your boat, against moving to another one is difficult at best. Sooooo many things to learn about the new boat. If yours were in better shape, would you even consider this? If the answer is no, then maybe you should consider some 'updating/upgrades' to your current ride.

Also the 'better shape' comment. Is that in areas such as wear/tear and the day-to-day - or does it go to the 'foundation' of your boat?

One last thing, obviously you will need to sell what you have and if it's not in 'good shape' - will you really be able to get a fair deal for it?

After that, you simply need to go with the flow and really think about what you want to do.

I've had the boat for a couple of years. As far as condition goes there is nothing "wrong" with my current boat. The condition comment would be more towards the aesthetics of the boat. I like the color scheme better on the newer boat which I feel will be easier to maintain. I also fish freshwater 98% of the time and I would prefer to have a painted trailer over my current galvanized. I do not feel I will have too much trouble getting the fair value for my boat. It is essentially in the same condition as when I bought it plus I have repaired/upgraded several components. Overall I would say the boat I am considering is already nice and has more upside, where I feel like I can only do so much with current boat. From my research, it appears these boats are only 2" different in length, 3" in width, and they are built on a similiar if not the same hull.

You may want to focus more on the newer engine. I understand the newer Optis (from 2003 up) were much more reliable. Remember, "the money is on the back."

I would crunch the numbers.... is your current boat paid off? What can you do in the upgrade that you can't do now with your current boat? I often want a new boat, but I can't justify it since my current boat does everything I need and its paid for. I can buy a lot of gas and fish in stuff with what I would have to spend on a new(er) boat payment. But then again, life is short and a new boat is a helluva a lot of fun!:cool:

JP

Latest posts

Back