big smallies on pickwick

• Thread starter Brian Ingersoll
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
I had a tournament on Pickwick this past Saturday and got my buttocks whipped. Maybe it would have helped if my partner or I had been on the lake in the last four months. Anyway, the one I was in had 29 boats and 5 sacks over 20 pounds. I saw three smallmouth (along with a couple largemouth) weighed for big fish that were over six pounds and the big fish was a smallmouth that went 7.92 pounds.:blink::wacko: It barely missed the Mississippi state record (7.94). There were only a few people there that had ever caught one bigger. Another tournament on the lake took 29 1/2 pounds to win, but I was told they had all largemouth. I guess I need to learn more about deep water fishing, from what I saw most of the fish came from 15+ foot of water. The water temp was 48 and it was the first day of a major cold front (almost 40 degree drop in the highs).

Ouch!! :eek: Hurts when you are so far off the pattern that you never even had a chance. I'll bet they were spoonin' or dropshotting them out of the depths!! Those are some huge smallies anything over 7lbs is a true wallhanger in my book....replica that is:p

TOXIC

Sorry to hear about the tournament but keep this in mind ... our water is currently 32 degrees due to it being frozen solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would take about anything right now to feel the tug on the end of my line.

Goo dluck in the future.

Randy!

Hey,Bri. Good to hear from you. Sounds like your series is getting started again.Let me know if your headed this way.

My guess is that big smallie ate a suspending jerkbait. Cheuck Economou had 34lbs of smallmouth (5 fish) in a BASS tourney on Pickwick before. 15 foot humps on a suspending rouge. His final weight was 29 and change because he was late for check in.

Latest posts

Back