Lowrance vs Humminbird

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Hello, I went to the Northeast Expo the other day hoping to figure out what GPS/Sonar unit to buy this year - I posted a question here a few weeks ago. I was debating between the Humminbird 987C with Sidefinder technology and the Lowrance 26C with hard drive. I was really disappointed that the guys at the Lowrance booth didn't have the unit and on top of that couldn't talk about it in any detail. The guy at the Humminbird booth didn't have the unit either but at least was able to explain it and showed more detailed pictures of the sidefinder feature than what is on the website.

I also talked with a few of the dealers that were there and I am thinking of leaning toward the Humminbird product. Although I wanted to stay with Lowrance (I have the H20 Plus and wanted to share the chips), the product guys at the show really gave me a bad feeling about Lowrance in general (based on their lack of knowledge and enthusiasm to promote their product) and are steering me right at Humminbird.

When I posted about the 987C last time, it didn't seem like anyone had any experience with it. Does anyone have any bad experience with Humminbird GPS/WAAS Sonar units overall?

I need to make a decision soon so I can order the unit and have it installed in time for spring fishing! Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Bill, the Mad Kayaker

I've had the NS 25 since it came out and I love it. I've had a few problems with maps, but not the unit itself. I think anyone who fishes regularly must have a GPS....saved my a$$ a few times..

Pierre

ALWAYSSSS HUMMINBIRDDDDD MANNNN !!!!!!!!.....TRUST ME OK THEY'RE ALL I USE. GOT TWO ON MY BOAT NOW. IM NOT DOWNING LOWRANCE, DONT GET ME WRONG, BUT IM A HUMMINBIRD MAN.. FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER...LOL.

MK,

I've been a big non-supporter of Humminbird in the past, but especially with the Matrix line, they have really stepped up. As far as the mapping/gps and such, I have really been a big fan of my handheld Garmin GPSMAP 76, and the fishing hot spots maps.

Humminbird uses Navionics MMC chips. My understanding is that they work very well in the Matrix units. The only thing that I wish the Navionics folks had, was a computer based program that allowed you to view/edit waypoints (and the details on the maps), on your computer. They don't. For the most part, neither does Lowrance. You can do waypoint editing, but not while viewing the cartridge.

If you have some specific other questions to ask, post them here or email me. If you have some specific Humminbird questions to ask, I'm sure Greg Walters will chime in also.

Tex

My Lowrance units (flash media enabled) are fully able to edit their MMC's (SD) through the Mapcreate 6 computer software, including waypoints and various other details, however not hard boundaries. They are easily transfered from chip to laptop and vice versa. If the Navionics chips were free, you couldn't give me one. They are proprietary and can wipe your memory quite easily.

Dan,

Could you elaborate more about the Navionics cards wiping the memory? I was gonna get one for the northeast for my iFinder this spring.

Bob G.

If you load a Nav. chip with a Mapcreate chip (say one with lake info and updates for your OS) you can get wiped. I haven't experienced it first hand, but I believe the individual who has.

On a side note, the Nav. maps I have sampled were about as accurate as shooting 100yd. targets with a Daisy Red Rider.(LOL!) It's shown me in the middle of a parking lot when idling out of a no wake zone and leaving the map area totally while within miles of the lake boundaries.

Lowrance also offers FREE downloadable maps for many lakes on their website that shows depth contours and additional info.

http://www.lowrance.com/mapping/LakeMaps/index.asp

I saw the enhanced lake maps, but Champlain isn't on the list and won't be for awhile. I e-mailed Lowrance a while ago about it. I wanted something with depth contours since MapCreate doesn't show it.

Bob G.

Have Used the Navionics chips here in KS -- Work fairly good on some of the Lakes-- with both my iFinder pro and Lowrance--LMS-330c

There was a large warnning label on my Navionics chip -- do not try to copy or use it with your PC.. I upload all my routes / way points to a blank MMC chip then down load to my pc using CreateMap6-- Works great -- I even have used my Lowrance 330c in my car on long tips--- Yes some of the map data is off some times and right on others -- Looks like I'm driving a 100 ft along the side of interstate-- Think some of it is the reception I get sometime.

In fact Both my gps units will tell you the amount of error -- like 250 ft -- the best I have seen is about 20-30ft..

Good luck -- Both the Hummin-- and --Lowrance are good unit..

HaleDamage..----------------------Rick

THE REASON HUMMINBIRD REP DID NOT HAVE ONE IS THE ARE NOT OUT YET IF YOU CALL TO ORDER ONE THEY WILL SAY IT IS BACKORDERED. THATS WHAT I GET FROM THE PRO TEAM CORD. HUMMINBIRD IS ONE OF MY SPONSORS. WHEN I ORDERED MY GRAPHS LAST MONTH THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD BE LATE SPRING BEFORE I COULD GET 1 SO I GOT 2 MATRIX 97s. WITH THE MATRIX I CAN ONLY GET THE NAVIONICS GOLD CHIP WHICH IS THE MIDDLE ONE! I HAVE USED BOTH BRANDS AND I TRULY LIKE WERE HUMMINBIRD IS GOING WITH THEIR PRODUCTS! BEFORE YOU BUY ASK HOW LONG ON SHIPPING!!!!!!!

Dan, if you and Paul don't take the caps lock off I'm gonna personally fly down to KS and do it for you!!LOL!! NO MORE ALL CAPS POSTS PLEASE!!!LOL!!

TOXIC

Hey Toxic -- I was wondering what it would take to get you to come to Kansas--;>) LOL

Dan--do you do any crappie fishing??-- If so maybe get together during the spring spawn at Clinton or Melvern..

Good Luck -- HaleDamage---------------------Rick

Thanks for the input - if I go with Humminbird, I will check out the wait/backlog on it. In terms of the two guys, it's important to me to know that people representing a company are jazzed about me and their product. If a company (via their sales/product reps) can't take care of me during the sales cycle even before they get my hard-earned money, I'd worry how much they took care of me after they got it. Do you know what I mean?

Again, thanks for the info - I'll let you know which way I decided to go once I make up my mind and order the units.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Latest posts

Back