Best SUV for Towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
My Infiniti struggled a little this weekend to tow the boat and trailer thru a bit of mud/grass. After putting it in 4WD, I was able to pull it out. This made me start wondering in the winter if I will be able to even get to my cabin. Then I started wondering what the best SUV for towing thru all kinds of conditions. I know alot of you guys use trucks (or station wagons) to pull your boats. Any opinions on SUV owners?

Teri

I can't see where your gonna have any problems with your Infiniti what so ever. The trailers cause problems on surfaces where the trailer can get bogged down. I used to have a full time Ford Explorer and I got it in and out of places you wouldn't believe while quail hunting. Most of the 4X4's out there are all pretty good. Snow above the fenderwells might cause some problems. I have a 4X4 pick up and an old Bronco II that belongs to my dogs. Haven't got either truck stuck yet. Just remember to have a shovel, a can of sand and possibley a tow strap when traveling in the snow.

fatrap

Knowing a little about your "tastes", the normal SUV would never do for you. I would look at an Expedition, Surburban, or Tahoe (really nice). Get the top of the line trim and accessories package (Eddie Bauer/Limited, Denali, etc.) and you should be happy. I remember you saying that you had a Trailblazer and had problems. Dodge Durango's have also had their share of problems (not to say there aren't some good ones also). My Explorer works just fine, but I am really pushing it with the weight of the 929. Heck, the trucks nowadays are decked out better than any car I have ever owned. BOSE sound system with amps and subs, 6 disk changer, on-star from the factory, just about anything you can get in a vehicle, you can get in a truck.

TOXIC

Toxic, what do you mean by "my tastes". :) Interested to hear what your perception is.

Teri,

Your Infiniti should be ok for winter. I would try it out during the winter months and see how it handles.

The best winter vehicle that I ever had was a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L straight six cyclinder and the Quadra-trac transfer case. I would not have towed my boat on a regular basis with this vehicle, but it could handle anything a Vermont winter and mud season could throw at it. I would not hesitate getting another one for my wife after my kids make their exit from my household!!

Bob G.

Teri,

When you say it struggled do you mean it didnt have enough grip or not enough power and it was bogging down?

the infinity should have plenty of power and if the mud was so thick that it was bogging down try shifting into low range 4wd, it will pot lots more torque to the ground and pull thru the mud better.

If its a grip problem get some different tires, the ones on your suv may be more of a road design i would bet and may not be toog good for deep mud/snow. If thasthe issue there are plenty of good choices out there, something like a michelin ltx at or toyo open country at would do the job nicely

I've got the new 4Runner with a V-8 and have NO problem. Don't even feel the 901 behind it...

david

Teri -

I'm with Fatrap. You and your Infinity will be just fine! It will get you through ANYTHING that you are going to be out in. And, if it doesn't get you through, you shouldn't 'a been there in the first place!

me!

(Driving 4x4 SUV's for 20 years.)

Teri--Check out the 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV----Can get a loaded one for about $60K---

Maybe we could do a "group buy" LOL

Most any 4x4 will do fine -- Maybe pickup a set of chains for ice

Good luck--HaleDamage

I'm with Jim on this one...

I've towed with a Cherokee 4x4, never a problem, even with river mud, now I tow with a Dakota... still can't see a problem.

Get rid of the sissy, quiet, pretty road tires and get some ATs!

I meant that I think you like the "finer" things in life and are not afraid to put down the denario to get them. Am I right?

TOXIC

Toxic... what problems have the Durango had.....

I just drove the new 2004 Durango with the HEMI....

WOW What a truck!

I would go with a 2004 4x4 Durango with a HEMI!......

Kraig

I second Dave's opinion. The V8 4Runner is awesome and in the Limited configuration matches the Lexus SUVS for $10,000 less!

Sounds like you are in line for some aftermarket rims and beefy tires. I have Michelins on both the jeep and the explorer. The jeep has 125,000 miles on them (LTX M&S) and the explorer has about 30,000 on cross terrains. Great tires with good road manners as well as good offroad ability. I have never spun a tire on the explorer pulling the 929 although it has full time 4X4 (on demand).

TOXIC

Teri, michelin makes the ltx ms and the cross terrain in that size, i would think either would be better then the ones you have. I would buy either one of those over a good year anyday.

You just got a bad TrailBlazer...and I'm sorry to hear about that,,..but my new '03's been awesome!! Only had 1 small problem and that was the A/C hi-pressure switch. It pulls my 520 like a dream!!! Love that truck!! Again...sorry to hear yours was a major pain..they're getting rave reviews now and selling hot cakes!!! Your Infiniti should be fine pulling the BB!! No problems mate!

Teri, I pull my 180tf with a 96 Bronco with a 302 (5.0 liter) V-8. I am in need of new tires, but generally speaking the truck does pretty well. My wife has a 95 Tahoe with high miles that I would not be afraid to pull the boat with either. I am a buy American (if possible) kind of guy, for more reasons than one. The first being obvious, and the second being that I do all of my own work on my vehicles. Parts for domestic cars and trucks are more readily available, and thus less expensive (usually). I do believe that the Tahoes, Denalis and Suburbans are excellent vehicles, but I personally do not trust the TrailBlazer, or the S-10 Blazer/Jimmy. I have had some personal experience with a Jimmy, and I think it is poorly designed. I think the Escalade and Hummers are both overpriced, not to mention that the Hummer is basically a Tahoe with a different body on it (or so I have been told).

Teri -

When the time comes to replace the tires, remember you don't have to get the EXACT same size - just a size that will fit your rims. Many will likely fit that bill.

(Just replace all four at once. Don't worry about the spare if you don't use it in your rotation. (Rotation is yet another story.....))

People will tell you that it throws your speedometer off - true. BUT, practically speaking, you'll never know the difference.

A very practical and also thrifty,

me!

Teri, as most have said...tires, tires, tires!

I started with Firestone Wilderness ATs on my Explorer Sport Trac (2 wheel drive, limited slip differential). Those tires had a fairly aggressive tread, and they worked great pulling my boats on just about any surface. After the infamous Firestone recall, I had Michelin Cross Terrains on my Sport Trac, and they were great on road, but a nightmare pulling boats on soft terrain. Flat out terrible. The treads would clog with mud in a heartbeat. In all fairness, the Cross Terrain is a highway SUV tire.

I switched to Pirelli Scorpion ATs, and I am back to being happy again. Not quite as good as the Firestones were, but MUCH better than the Cross Terrains.

Get yourself the right tires and with 4wd, you'll go where you need to. But, it's prudent to keep some "I'm stuck" gear in the vehicle anyway. A come-along winch and a decent tow rope is a great $40 investment. Saved me a couple of times.

I always have one of those army surplus folding shovels in the back of my Cherokee. However, if you aren't going off road, it's kinda hard to use it on pavement!

BEST? Best you said right?

Hummer or H2 of course. You would have NO problems in winter or with towing. My next choice would be the Expedition with the Triton V-10. Of course, you'd have to bargain hunt for gas! LOL

Has anyone seen the 2004 Nissan Armada? Their new full size SUV. What do you think?

Did you have a good experience with a Sentra?

Just the opposite. Was my wife's "college" car. POS would die everytime it rained, dealer replaced everything under the hood and never did find out what it was. Ate tires like cheerios. Popped a timing belt. The paint came off in sheets. Never would start in the winter. Seats disintegrated like they were made of paper. Grille fell out driving down the highway. Electric cooling fan would turn on in the middle of the night while parked. This thing had it's share of gremlins!! Now I had a Maxima for a couple of years that would scream!! I'm still not too keen on NISSAN's though.....Would take a 350Z if somebody gave me one!!

TOXIC

I would have to say that the GMC Yukon would be tope on my list. Trailblazer XL would be second.....

Buy american....your job may depend on it!

Mini

I bought American and got crap...I will admit my Ford Explorer Sport never really gave me any trouble. It was great until someone decided to destroy the damn thing for $200 cash. My poles, tackle, clothes, TV, camping gear, everything was in there and all they took was $200. Even missed a $100 bill and left my credit cards. Terds!

What SUV's / trucks are assembled in the US?

I known my Ford Crown Vic is assemled in Canada--

Someone told me "some" Dodge trucks are assembled in Mexico(not sure). --

The F150 is from here in KC(I think).

Years ago I heard, the VW Rabbit was one for the few cars made in the US from 100% US parts??

HaleDamage

TrailBlazer's are built in Moraine Ohio....Chevy CK pickups in Pontiac, MI....Suburban's in TX.

I wonder if I could put a hitch on my mother-in-law's Viper and use if for a tow vehicle. I can't imagine its gas milage getting much worse pulling a load.

david....

HaleDamage, My 94 Dodge Ram 1500 was built in Mexico my 95, 97, 99, 2002 & 2003 were all built in St. Louis, MO.

Cass

Turds is not the word I would have chose, but it will work here. Did they ever get caugth Teri? We can chum them for Champy bait!

No, they never got caught. I was down the hill fishing of course. The pisser of it all is I had a pretty high-tech (or so they said) alarm on the vehicle that never went off. The alarm company claimed I never activated it or it would have went off. I guess anything is possible.

here u go.
Image002.jpg

Teri,

I have a nicely trimmed out Ford F-150 Supercrew (4dr) 5.4L with the Off Road Package (now the FX package, I think) with a cap, front and rear hitches, Warn Winch, and Goodyear Wilderness R/T tires 17" rims.

I have no trouble towing...just parking. I was almost stuck once and instead of throwing mud I used the winch. It's as close as I could get to perfection until the new 2004 version got here... That truck looks to be perfection.... I'm buying one in January (delay is to satisfy my tax guy).

Latest posts

Back