Battery Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Since I bought the new boat, I am having problems getting the trolling motor battery to charge. The charger was new last summer and I never had problems with it on the other boat. When I hook it up to the battery, I can leave it on for a long time and the charging complete light never comes on.

How long should it take for a 12V with a 10amp charger to charge? It seems like if I wiggle the clamps to make a spark on the battery, the light does come on and indicate its complete. I have tried clamping to the bolts (terminal connections, maybe) and to the, don't know the technical terms, but the round knobs (terminal posts) next to where you screw the cables on. Which one is the proper one to clamp to? I do know postive to positive and negative to negative. :)

either terminal should work fine.. You should always wiggle the clamp when you put it on to get a good connection. Depending on how low the battery is it could take as long as 12 to 14 hours with a 10 amp charger.. and if it is not at full charge when you go out it will take longer.. I added an on board charger last year and love it.. Does your boat just have 1 TM battery or 2? will of course take twice as long if it has 2?

BF

Teri, What kind of charger do you have? I use a small Guest 2608, 6 amp portable. It will recharge my battery overnight every time. I do connect it to the battery posts (technical term) and give the clips a little wiggle back and forth to make sure there's good contact--walk away. I think you can have your charger checked out an auto parts store or battery dealer. I know my little 2608 is not the top of the line, but it has served me well.

Harpo

Teri,

Is the battery "full" of water/acid? A low water level will prevent the battery from fully charging.

Ditto on all the previous replies.

How old is your battery? A 3 or 4 year old deep cycle battery that has been charged many times will evenually loose it's ability to hold a charge due to "plate deterioration". They actually get smaller. Take the battery to a battery shop and ask them to give it a load test. They can tell you the condition of your battery.

You also measure the unloaded output of your charger by putting a voltmeter across the unconnected red and black terminals. YOu should get 12 vdc or more. ANything less and your charger is a question mark. They can go bad at anytime.

I have a MinnKota 10 amp charger. I bought it new last summer while I was in Minnesota. My other one pooped out on the trip. The boat was brand new this year so I wouldn't think I should be having problem. Maybe I will take it out and have it tested.

As previously mentioned, check the water level in the battery; top off with distilled water (not tapwater!) if any of the cells are low.

Teri,

This may sound simple, but make sure your charger clamps are clean and "shiny". Corrosion on the clamps will cause bad connections. I used to clean mine with some sandpaper before each use.

Rich D

Teri -

How long it takes will depend on how far the battery is discharged - assuming your battery is in good operating condition.

Take a look at the battery..... If it is a 500 amp battery and if it is fully discharged, it will take 50 hours on a 10 amp charger!

AND the battery must be charged as far as possible to be properly tested. Leave it on the charger for some time before you take it in.

me!

Even new batteries can be bad. Check the battery first for water, if no water then fill with distilled water only. Then carry it into an autoparts store (or a marina preferrably the one you bought the boat from) and have them test the battery. They should replace it free of charge if it is defective.

Mini

Good point Mini, that's why they come with warranties.

Harpo

500 amp battery? Must be one of those new 185 Submariner models with the silent electric propulsion system.

Finally got the light to turn green today. I did check the water in the holes. Time for another question and I am not sure how to explain. The water goes up to where the hole starts for the cap to snap in but it does not go all the way to the top. If I filled it to the top and then snapped the cap back on, the water would probably overflow. Is it suppose to go all the way to the top?

The battery water level should be at the bottom of the hole as you stated that it is.

Bob G.

This is true. If you fill to the top you will have leakage until the slot in the cylinder can allow enough gas to escape during charging. After a good charge you will hear some bubbling of liquid (water/acid mix) venting out of the holes.

You should be alright, check the water level every month or more depending on usage. Refill with distilled water as needed to the bottom of the slotted cylinder that makes the hole.

Mini

Latest posts

Back