Battery Charging Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
I have a manual 10A charger that works great on my trolling motor battery. It will charge until the light on the battery charger goes green. When I hook the charger up to my cranking battery it will stay in the charging mode and never go green when deep cycle battery is selected. If I flip the switch to cranking battery it immediately goees to green. Should both batteries be charged as deep cycle or is there something wrong with my cranking battery? Water level is right where it should be on the battery.

I'm not familar with that feature on your charger, but your cranking battery (if you are using your boat regularly), should stay 'up' by the alternator in your engine.

As is the case with most electronics, sometimes features get in the way. If you flip it to cranking battery, and it indicates that you are charged, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you been having problems with your cranking battery keeping a charge?

Tex

I went out Sunday and the battery was dead so I had to jump the battery from my trolling motor battery. I haven't had any problems prior to that but don't like the idea of possibly being strnaded due to a bad battery. I also have a Minn Kota portable battery tester and it indicates the battery is 3/4 to full most of the time. When I got the boat home and put the tester on it it read 3/4 full. Not sure if I believe my motor charged it that much.....Al.

I would not trust the "eye" on the battery. I have had (and still have) batteries that would take a charge and work fine but that "eye" would stay black indicating it was 50% discharged. If I shook the battery a little that "eye" would flip to green. Get yourself a digital voltmeter and use it. That is the best way to tell at what charge state your batteries are. I have used battery meters like the one you refered to before and they are not as accurate as a good voltmeter. Voltmeters are not expensive and you will fild dozens of uses for it. Especially when it comes to trailer wiring.

Dave

I just went through the same thing with a boat I just bought. My problem turned out to be an old battery. (Feb 1999). Replaced it and everything is well.

Latest posts

Back