Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvin Roberts

Reaction score
This might be the dumbest question that ever been asked on this forum. I have a 1996 Nitro 170TF. I’ve had it for a few years but it has been sitting for about three years or so. It had good batteries when I bought it but they need to be replaced. Should I be buying a regular cranking battery for the motor and a deep cycle for the trolling motor and other equipment? Is there a size recommendation?

There are no dumb questions, only dumb ones are the ones not asked. How long are you planning on keeping the boat?
What trolling motor do you have? 12 or 24 volt system? I just replaced the batteries on my rig that came with the boat with Marine AGM Grp 27. one for the 12 volt trolling motor and one for starting and accessories. Yes AGMs are more expensive $100+ over lead acid, yet are more durable, don't leak and develop more constant power in the long term. One bad point is that they are generally heavier that lead acid batteries.

Yes, Deep Cycle marine batteries for the trolling motor. Walmart used to have the best deal on 27-31 Grp Everstart (lead acid). You can get decent 100AH Lithium (LiFePO4 for trolling motor) now on Amazon for about the cost of a good AGM. Depends on how much you want to spend.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb ones are the ones not asked. How long are you planning on keeping the boat?
What trolling motor do you have? 12 or 24 volt system? I just replaced the batteries on my rig that came with the boat with Marine AGM Grp 27. one for the 12 volt trolling motor and one for starting and accessories. Yes AGMs are more expensive $100+ over lead acid, yet are more durable, don't leak and develop more constant power in the long term. One bad point is that they are generally heavier that lead acid batteries.
I have a Minn Kota 55AT trolling motor, 12V. I plan on keeping the boat for the foreseeable future. I don’t have any plans to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back