Batteries & Chargers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
once upon a time, i had a little guest battery charger. it was a little fellow that only put out 10 amps and took a while to charge my batteries, but it did a great job and never cooked my batteries. my poor little fellow died so i decided to upgrade to a larger model. found a pro-mariner pro-sport 20plus which was twice the power of my little guest charger (2 banks at 10A each) and it even had "distributed" charging capabilities. On the box it even stated "3-stage" charging but on the unit itself it says "multi-stage" charging (which means 2-stage) - it seems they use the same box graphics on both the 2 and 3 bank models. My new improvement was cost effective and seemed to work great. I left the unit plugged in all the time just like my little guest unit. after about 6 trips out, I notice week batteries. corrosion was evident on the terminals even with the corrosion grease spray. the water levels in my batteries was each low. I even replaced a battery just to be sure. bought the acid level checker and checked each cell, and even added new acid to the cells of one of the batteries. cleaned up terminals, new corrosion grease, tight connections, and even a new 4-ga cable. 4 times out and low batteries. i'm giving up on the pro mariner prosport 20plus charger as i do not believe it is doing my batteries any good leaving it plugged in all the time. i'm posting this to warn others about the problems of which they may encounter with this unit as it has definately not performed up to my expectations and is a total waste money and good batteries. for a $100 more, i could upgrade to the "pro-tournament" model - nope, don't think so! I'm done with pro mariner products.

I'm off to buy another battery and hopefully a charger which will get the job done. I'm considereing another guest (2 bnk 10A each) or even a minn kota. anyone have any experience with the minn-kotas or heard anything good or bad?

thanks,

jd

Get a Guest, this is the second winter I've left my batteries pluged into my charger all winter. Batteries stay in the boat under a car port. Last winters lowest temp was minus 28, no wind chill. My batteries are running great again this year, and it's my third season on the batteries.

James D. I have the ProSport 12. I had a lot of problems with that unit. Take everyone's advice and get a Guest.

which guest chargers are you guys running? my first guest only lasted about a year but I could depend on it. has guest has come out with a newer line or just changed the exterior housing. can't find much info on them on their website and would have to order.

jd

James, James, James, James James.... After all of the posts on this board about Guest Chargers you went and bought something else???? Sue D. from Guest should jump in here with her advice but you can rely on the fact that after reading as much as I have on this board, and after seeing how Guest treats its customers, I would never have anything else.

Bill

James..... Not to take sales away from Sue..... But.....

Were those the same old batteries that you had with the Guest?

Just how old were those batteries?

May I suggest that you change the batteriies first.....

Then see how the charger performs?

A believer in Guest!

(And in Sue!)

me!

James,

Give me a call toll free at Guest at 1-888-483-7865 ext 135 and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have on Guest chargers.

Have a great day!

Sue

DIDN'T YOU LEARN??!?!??!?!??! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....

GO GUEST OR STAY OFF DA TROLLIN MOTOR!

David

Come on, are you kidding me??? Do your REALLY even need to ask?

wow, can't believe all the replies.

me! one of my batteries is 3 months old and the other is 10 months old. don't think it is the batteries, just that pro mariner prosport 20plus thing just doesn't take care of the batteries very well at all. i won't even put it up for sale. only good thing is that it hasn't messed up the starting battery. good point though, batteries don't last forever.

i bought the prosport model because I needed something bad at the time and no one here in OKC was carrying guest, I heard something negative about dual pro, mk's at the time were way expensive and I wasn't going to wait for ups. my mistake.

soooo, this evening after work I bought a guest 2620 at the new Bass Pro here in OKC (it is good to see that they are carrying them now). should have it installed 2morrow evening and the batteries should be ready to go for friday evening fishing trip.

thanks everyone for replying. i guest i'll try the minn kota next time :)

jd

Latest posts

Back