Bass Pro Shops

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Just wanted to let anybody know that is slummin around this weekend that I will be in the BPS store in Hampton, VA, Saturday and Sunday. Working the Spring Classic for them and will also be doing time for SPRO/Gamakatsu. If anybody wants to see the new SPRO BBZ-1 4" swim baits, poppin frog's, deep diving Little John cranks or anything else out new, let me know and I'll load it up and bring it with me. I just got my 09 SPRO order in and I have a lot of new toys to play with. Not many are carried by the Hampton store though I'm afraid. I'll be in the Richmond BPS store March 14th and 15th. BPS messed up and not only did they not get my picture in the flyer, they got my appearance dates wrong.....sheesh. Also new in the product department is Bullet Weights new magnetic worm weights. No longer need to peg your weight, they grab the hook magnetically, pretty cool. I'll bring some if anybody wants to see them. I also got 120lbs of prime Yamamoto plastic sittin on my doorstep yesterday. I'm in a Senko coma right now!!:lol: I was down to my last 2 packs of 9-10-297 and was gettin the shakes!! I have a lot of their new colors/laminates if somebody wants to check them out as well. My dang truck is gonna look like a rollin tackle store!! :p

TOXIC

Tee - There were NO sales as far as I am concerned. I needed some new Jerk Baits so I went to the new Hanover store yesterday. There couldn't have been 20 cars in the parking lot. Picked up everything I wanted and no one in line. Was in and out in 20 minutes. The "Preferred Member" outing tonight from 7-10 is an absolute joke. First 200 get a BPS Rat'l Trap (value about 99 cents). I can imagine they are lining up right now (0830) to get in at 1900 hours tonight. Biggest reason I go any more is just to look at stuff I may want to but on-line.

Sorry Tox but I am not in a BPS mood this morning!

Work hard Tox! Carlos: We're still chilly out here; hard to get motivated to hit the lake; have fun!

BIV - say it ain't so!! I need two new trolling batteries and was counting on the BPS sale! Flyer has what appear to be the size 27's on sale for $90. Also will check the Walmart next door (Hanover, MD store) to compare.

CIII - You know where the pass is!

Jim C. - There really are some sales, but not enough for me to brave all the crazies. Would recommend stopping at Wally World and picking up the batteries there. Better price and better guarantee.

I'm going tonight to the Detroit store. I'll take the lure if there's any left. I know some kids that can use it if I don't want it. The only advantage of tonight will be double reward points. I hope to be able to hear KVD and spend most of my $ on a handgun this year. I wasn't real impressed with the sale flyer. If I dont get the weapon, I may get the humminbird 597 that's on sale. We'll see.

Gene

I'm sure there are a lot of sale items not in the catalog. The reel trade in is also going on. CIII, yer gonna be fishun in the rain and a cold front....who am I kidding....I'd rather be fishun!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

I'm working the gun counter tonight at BPS CB. It's been crazy there. Lots and lots of guns sold. Everyone is asking about the new Ruger LCR.

fatrap

toxic,

does this mean your dropping by on your way to hampton? who makes the new mag weights? might have to check those out, how big do they come?

mike c

I went to the Bass Pro shop in Nashville tonight. Tons of people! I found the sales to be decent, not just no-name stuff that no one buys anyway. Lots of "common" stuff on sale. Zoom plastics, jigs, Red eye's, just to name a few. Maybe I just needed what was on sale so I thought the sale was pretty good plus double points. I finally bought an auto-inflatable life vest on sale.

My buddy at the reel counter slipped me a reel trade in coupon so I saved $25 on a new Daiwa Tierra. You could buy a $5 reel and trade it in and save $20, pretty cool. I also bought a 7' BPS Extreme rod to go with it, $30 off. I am calling it my "Toxic". 7 ft senko rod, 10 lb mono, Daiwa reel, 297 senkos! :p

There is NO sales at BPS!!!!

Your paying for the fish tank/head mounts/etc....

Next time your in there just grab one of those mounts and drag it home. :lol::lol::lol:

You paid for it.

You can always buy it cheaper on-line including shipping.

Mike's express

Ofcourse I work for them so take this anyway you want. My store(BPS Council Bluffs) sponsors Hunter Safety. Provides pontoon boats for kids fishing day. Has fishing contest directed toward kids. Teaches flyfishing, kayaking, camping skills. Our store has many mounts which people DO ENJOY looking at and showing there children and spouses. Many, many old pictures diplicting outdoors people doing their thing. AT our Classics we have famous faces interacting with the public and giving free demonstrations giving people to meet and talk to the folks they see on TV. Others people stop by when traveling the Interstate and take a break from their travels. Eat at the resturant or enjoy a drink by the fireplace, play checkers on an oversized checker board.

The restrooms are spotless, the isles clear of clutter. Your dog is as welcome as your children. Pup even gets a free treat.

We sell TONS of merchandise. That's what we do, we make Johnny Morris richer by the day. SO WHAT!

I've yet to see anyone get pulled through the door against their will. Or to have their wallets removed and emptied of money. Most of the people in my area feel priviledged that we have this store AND a Cabelas just across the river.

There are "No Sales" at BPS? I'm sorry you feel that way but for most people that I see, and I see THOUSANDS a year they're getting into the car to leave with a smile on their face.

Go buy your tackle where ever you can get a good "sale" this is America and your entitled to your opinion. So am I and I just gave mine.

Mike Grandick

aka Fatrap

I second that fatrap,

I work part-time after my retirement at BPS Cincinnati (fishing dept.). It's a real feel good job. And, it helps with my addiction (fishing). BPS does alot of great things for the community and charitable organizations. And everything fatrap said is so true.

It may not have the best price on every product but, it beats the daylights out of most other places for more items on sale. Also, if the internet price is lower than the in store price, we'll match it and give the internet price at the store.

p.s. edited to add: Many of the mounts are donated.

Objective discussion/observations:

BPS is a fine retail store, with absolutely great people working there.. I have never yet had an "experience" with an INDIVIDUAL. Retail is retail. The company exists to make a certain profit and return that profit to the owners or stockholders. period. While the illusion that any retail store is in business FOR The Customer prompts high degrees of customer satisfaction, that satisfaction level is intended to bring back more and return business from those clients, as well as spread the reputation via word of mouth and forums like this to nurture new customers. (This, again, is at a CORPORATE LEVEL - the guys and gals working the floor dont think this way in most cases). I have never dealt with an employee who displayed "my pay is the same whether I help or not" attitude. The people are GREAT. That comes from enjoying your work and having a management team that supports you.

That said, in this economy of trusted companies screwing you at ever turn, a business entity that can be trusted is noble indeed. I have not read, or experience, any issues in the BPS side of the business that indicated returns, or ultimate customer satisfaction when the inevitable product issues come up. I am, however, concerned as I ponder laying out "5 figures" for a new Tracker soon.

I have read every single comment regarding BPS in the Dealer report card section of this site, and frankly it has me a bit concerned to purchase a boat there as opposed to franchised tracker dealer. However, it does appear the roughest of times were a number of years ago, primarily (on this forum) in 2001. Is there a general consensus of opinion that the delivery and satisfaction issues reported earlier this decade have been now rectified?

Mike, JR,

You guys work there and this is not personal. Please don't take it that way. Johnny has setup shop to capitalize on the bling in/outside the store to draw the average BPZ customers. That's the American way.

I see THOUSANDS a year they're getting into the car to leave with a smile on their face.
These are BPZ's. Bass Pro Zombies. They smile & blindly cruise the isles putting items in their cart and are totally unaware that the tab at the door is at least 20% more (on average) than getting it somewhere else. Nor do they care they paid too much for that muffler.

sponsors Hunter Safety. Provides pontoon boats for kids fishing day. Has fishing contest directed toward kids. Teaches flyfishing, kayaking, camping skills. Our store has many mounts which people DO ENJOY looking at and showing there children and spouses. Many, many old pictures diplicting outdoors people doing their thing. AT our Classics we have famous faces interacting with the public and giving free demonstrations giving people to meet and talk to the folks they see on TV.
BPS does alot of great things for the community and charitable organizations.

Reality is some of us don't give a squat about any of this. Sell me my product at a competitive price. The rest is fluff I am not interested in paying for. You want donations to support the community and other, put a drop box at the exit of the store and see what gets put in it.

It may not have the best price on every product but, it beats the daylights out of most other places for more items on sale. Also, if the internet price is lower than the in store price, we'll match it and give the internet price at the store.

Totally disagree. There are enough on-line retailers that sell all the same items (including shipping/no sales tax) for much less than BPS. BPS is not going to match any internet pricing except maybe their own?

Let's give it go.

Keep in mind I have not even added in sales tax for in-store shopping. Just compared against advertised rates for BPS on-line/catalog/in store. Then you can throw in your fuel/vehicle wear to/from the store and your time to get their/back vs. a few minutes on the web.

iboats pricing for trolling motors.

Got my new MG for $192.00 less than BPS shipped. Not on sale. Everyday pricing.

Pick out any reel you want and check EBay.

Get my new Diawa's there for $32.00 less than BPS shipped.

Need fishing line. EBay. Just got a 5000 yard spool of Power-Pro 80lb for off-shore and saved $66.00 off BPS shipped.

New electronics for the boat. EBay/search the web using www.dogpile.com

I got my 1st new Lowrance LCX 26HD off an electronics site for $197.00 less than BPS shipped. The 2nd one I got on EBay for $223.00 less.

All terminal tackle, plastics, hard baits. EBay or other sites like landbigfish.com are all less $$$ and you know right then if they have the color/size you want.

Keep in mind folks, I'm not as good at this as some others under 50 who can make the keyboard dance.

Mike is right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can/will spend my $$$ where they get me the most for my money.

http://www.iboats.com/

Spent yesterday afternoon at BPS in Richmond. Got two new deep cycle batteries (on sale) for $85/each (regular price $109.99 - lead acid flooded batteries NOT available online). Got a ProMariner 12 dual bank charger for $99 (regular price $129.99 - best internet price 109.99 - plus shipping). Picked up 4 gallons of Pennzoil Premium 2-stroke oil at $11.99/gallon (normally about $20/gallon). Watched my wife and son run around and pick up new soft baits THEY want to try (not me!). Most expensive lures - $5.99 for a pack of 6 pre-rigged minnow baits). Do I feel ripped off or taken advantage of? No way!! Thanks Johnny Morris from a BPSNZ (BPS - non-zombie) :):)

Mike What's great about America is you can take your business where ever you want. Good fishin.

Mike Grandick

Mike, to each his own. And, I do not take anything you say personal. If you don't like BPS that is your business and your right to feel as you do. However, comparing any retail outlet to Ebay is really apples and oranges. I can quote any number of people I know that have been totaly ripped off on Ebay. Try looking at or holding the item on Ebay first. Try having someone with expertise and experience using that particular item to discuss it's pros and cons with you before you buy it. Try returning something to Ebay or the individual you purchased it from on that site. BPS is not your cup of tea; so be it.

BPS stores make alot of people happy and offer much more than just shopping to them. Calling them zombies isn't becoming in the least. Nor is talking down the 'experiances' of shopping in that environement the customers enjoy. With very rare exceptions the customer experience in the store is one they talk about with delight and satisfaction. Men, women and children all seem to find something in a BPS store that brightens their day. I doubt that many people can be wrong. BPS doesn't solicit donations to help the community, they offer fishing seminars, teach outdoor activities of all sorts and do many other things all FREE for the public (customers or not). No solicitation of customers to donate anything. Maybe it's your attitude that needs an adjustment. Please don't take anything I say personally either. It's just an observation.

Well, I just worked 2 days of the Classic in Hampton and the crowd was there. They stripped the shelves of most everything. Baits, rods, reels most all sold out of certain models, styles. Reel trade in was going gangbusters. I have noticed a swing away from salt in this store and the new Fishing Manager is right on top of it. He want's the latest and greatest in the freshwater gear. When I wasn't on the tank I was crusin the store handing out BPS pencils and stickers to the kids. Only way it could have been better would be if they put me in a clown suit with the frizzy hair and red nose!! Let's face it some people are retail shoppers and others are bargain hunters. Mike likes to scour the net and find the deals, he knows what he wants and what it should cost, that's totally ok. Some don't want to put in the time or effort or more importantly risk. Ebay has it's share of scams and bad deals. Some people like to physically see and hold something they are going to buy. You can't do that on the net. A lot of times the shipping from net purchases pulls it even as well. And let's not forget there is an entertainment value to the store, that is what it is supposed to be.....fun!! Arcade games, retriever dogs, free hot dogs and brats, pro's, Mac doin rod handles, and other things that make it a fun day.

TOXIC

We were busy all weekend in Macon, Prattville and Leeds.....holy mackeral....those folks in Leeds were flat out STOKED over the rod handle deal! People were waiting for us to get there at 10am...and I left my table once for a drink before we had to leave at 4pm for the airport. Non-stop for 6 hours. :wacko::blink: Have never seen so many friendly folks as in the south!! But,...that weather?!:blink: We went from tornado's to blizzards in 24hrs!! Drove through down pours from Macon to Prattville,..and Sunday,..woke up to 2-3" of snow and white-out's from Prattville to Leeds!! NIIICE!!!

(Only cars we saw on the expressway's were from MICHIGAN and Connecticut and Indiana!!) 90% of the Alabama folks's stayed home until it melted!! LOL

Had a riot!! Can't wait to go back!!

Mac

Took the wife and 11 year old son to BPS in Clarksville, IN. We got to meet Boyd Duckett and Wally Marshall in person. My son watches ESPN with me on the weekend and we watched the Classic and it was great him meeting Boyd and getting his autograph.

Boyd also gave a talk about drop shotting and showing how he does it at the tank. The wife enjoyed listening and meeting him as well.

I purchased my Nitro Z7 from there, the dealership was great to work with, really bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. What I really enjoyed was the fact that my salesman owned the model boat I was going to get, and he was a really good bass angler.

I agree with Toxic, it's always an adventure, no matter how many times you have been there. We make it a family outing, stay and have lunch or just get something from Starbucks.

Dan,

Doesnt surprise me a bit, Mac:

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE Hoosier WHEN: (Top 5)

Vacation means going south on I 65 for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

You often switch from heat to AC in the same day and back again.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.

this only really applies to those NORTH of Indy (i70).

The BPS in Richmond had some stuff that I would classify "On Sale" I haven't found anywhere else on line that has LC RC series for $12.00. Oh yeah I heard YUM products were $1.98 a bag!!:lol::lol::lol::lol: Toxic will get that one!;)

Buyer beware on eBay and some other sites ESPECIALLY when dealing with fishing lines.

#1...old stock, old fishing line is the worst thing you can buy. brittle, stale, breaks easy, bad knots, etc...

#2...imposter brands. PowerPro recently sent a bulletin out about bogus lines in bogus packaging selling well below their normal prices. All bogus products were found at various on-line only stores.

And one thing that you cannot do when you buy online is ask a knowledgeable salesperson a question. (not saying you can at all times at BassPro, but you certainly can when the Pro's are in the store) Service is a huge part of BassPro or any other brick and morter store. When a big event is being put on, it is certainly a great time to shop there!

Mini

Mini

I bought most of my "Naked Mermaid" fishing lure collection on line. Top notch vintage 1950ties stuff.;)

fatrap

Latest posts

Back