Bass Pro "Line" Experience.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
So we had a big trip planned and stopped at Bass Pro Foxboro, MA before heading out to the Cape.

I brought in 5 reels i needed spooled. 3 Spinning Reels and 2 Baitcasters. I actually spent $118.99 on LINE. I figured screw it, why not get the best line I can and have them spool it for me. I went with Spiderwire 50LB Braid($40) for my flipping Baitcast. and then 4 packs of the "Berkely Trilene 100% Fluoro" ($19 EA) and i also tried the "Bass Pro XPS Fluro ($16). Had them spool it on, waited almost 2 hours and it wsa by FAR the worst line i have ever purchased, not sure if they just have not idea what the hell they are doing and spooled it backwards or not, but EVERY other cast was a KNOT. and I mean on the Spincast NOT my baitcast. It was absolutely Ridiculous.

My opinon, dont EVER have Bass Pro Spool your line, and NEVER buy BPS XPS LINE or Berkely Trilene 100% FC.

BPS is my favorite store of all time, and I am so pissed about this situation that I may really not purchase my X-5 from them, and just go some place else.

$118 on line, and then another $100 on more lures. and I get nothing but headaches. and i didnt even mention they broke my buddies "Bill Dance BaitCast Reel and didnt tell us"..

Good job BPS:angry:

I have been using XPS Flouro since it came out (KVD suggested it, he STILL uses it too) and have nothing but good luck. I dont trust anyone to spool my line for me though.....

Also have heard nothing but good things about Berkley 100% flouro.

Sorry about your experience, have you talked to a manager about it? Especially the broken reel.....

I used BPS XPS flouro for a few years and switched last year to trilene 100% flouro. They are both great lines, the best flouro's I have used. (I'm giving a slight edge to trilene, but only slight) I'll bet they didn't spool it on properly. It can be put on a spipnning reel backwards and you'll have the exact problems you are describing. Cut the bait off, let most of the line out, and let it drag behind the boat at an idle for a couple minutes then reel it in. That should take the twist out of it and make it useable again. Don't give up on those lines, they are really good. I also wouldn't let them spool up any more reels for me.:)

A few things:

It's highly possible that the person spooled the line on backwards. It does make a huge difference on spinning reels. Most spinning reels lay the line on counter-clockwise.

I never use 100% flourocarbon (of any brand) on any spinning reel, unless it's just for a leader. I learned that lesson the hard way. Flourocarbon lines are more stiff than mono or braid, and generally come off of a spinning reel like barbed wire.

You also started off with "spinning", and then changed later in your post to "spincast". A spincast reel ("closed face", "push button", etc... - many names, but they are spincast reels, not spinning.) is even worse than a spinning reel with flourocarbon, as the springing line gets caught up in the cover, etc...

Sorry to hear about the problems.

All the best,

Glenn

My experience would be the opposite, I found the trilene 100% flouro hard to cast. I gave that spool away, went back to XPS fluoro.

I will say I am the only one that spoools line on my reels. I do let BPS spool my backing on for me.

yes it was a Spinning, Not a Spincast. Just sucks to pay that much for line for all your reels and get 1 or 2 good ones and 4 horrible ones.

Like Glenn and Mini i never ever let anyone spool line for me. I have just had too many problems with it in the past. I prefer to spoop it maunally on the reel. I just find that works better. I have used BPS lines plenty in the past and overall i have liked every one i have used, especially Excel mono. Excel is some tough stuff, stretchy but tough.

BPS is my favorite store of all time, and I am so pissed about this situation that I may really not purchase my X-5 from them, and just go some place else.

You know my stance on this one..... Imagine how pissed you would be if you just dropped 20k on a boat and it wasnt right. What you just saw is typical service of any big box retailer.

Jim,..you nailed it on the Excel......I love it too...very stretchy..but strong as can be!! I've tried to break 8lb test off of snags before and had it move my boat!! LOL...

It's really good stuff!!;)

Dang! if you got that bad of a birdsnest on a spincast, I cant even imagine what they did, even by accident. I am by my own total admission no expert, but on my spincasts, after reloading, I will install a swivel, hook to a tree, and walk out until almost all the line is played out, then with a constant pressure rewind using the reel itself instead of a winder. Low tech, works for me

I use nothing but the bass pro XL line. Never had any problems at all. I never have anyone but myself spool my line. The fishing dept at any one store doesn't make the whole store bad. I'd take my complaint to the fishing manager or the GM if that doesn't work out. Always keep your reciepts but if you used your rewards card they can look up and print another reciept so you can ask for a refund if that's your wish.

fatrap

I didn't even know you could get someone else to respool your reels. I wouldn't let them anyway, if I am going to be pissed at someone for doing it wrong, I would rather it be at myself, I get over it quicker that way. I go to great lengths not to let that happen though, kinda like pondscum, on my spinning reels, I tie to the swing set and walk away as far as I can, cut the line loose, reel it in and than do it all over again. I hate line twist.

Years ago (20 to be exact), I worked at a tackle shop (Actually, the one Neeley owns now) where we had a line spooling station. Spooling line on a baitcaster using the machine is a piece of cake..spinning reels are another story and I would always recommend to the customers that they do it themselves, it's nearly impossible to avoid line twist onto a spinning reel using a machine. From the looks of things, the machines haven't changed much since I used them. Live and learn I guess. Like others have said, play the line out behind ur boat (with nothing on the end of course) and the twist will work itself right out.

BPS Flouro rocks..!

I've had saltwater reels respooled but never a spinning reel. The pain with respooling is taking the old line off. I normally only take off about 100 yds. or so, leave the rest for backing.

Everyones got a cordless drill and an empty toilet paper roll (full might work too,lol)

Put the roll on your drill chuck, tape the line to it and pull the trigger, done in 2 minutes or less.

I don't know if I got a bad spool or what, but I had a real bad experience with a spool of BPS XL line on a spinning reel. Switched to P-Line Premium Fluoro for my 8 lb test spinning use and LOVE it. It's not the very best around a bunch of rocks though. On my saltwater and spillway stuff I'm using Trilene Big game (man, that stuff is super tough and abrasion resistant) and on baitcast any premium mono.

The Fluoro was 8LB,10LB and 12LB. (8LB was XPS) (10 &12 were Berkely Trilene 100% FC)

I despooled the 12LB last night and put plain old Stren 10LB on the reel. I will test it tommorow and just never let anyone spoo my lines for me again.

Hmmm....I thought possibly you put too big of line on the spinning outfit but 8 should have been fine. I put 17lb BPS Fluro on my swimbait rod and have yet to backlash it. That being said, I don't use fluro on my spinning rods, only baitcasters for cranks, chatterbaits and such. Everything I have is spooled with BPS line, I like it. I did get a spool of Trilene Maxx to try out since they made my favorite line at one time. It has been discontinued.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back