back from Canada, lessons learned

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
We got back Wednesday and took yesterday off to recover. :p We caught a ton of fish. Walleye, pike, smallmouth, and whitefish. One morning we filled a very large cooler, like the ones used for salmon fishing. It took 5 of us about an hour to clean them. We had a great time and the final cost (minus lessons learned) was only about $350 each.

Now for the lessons learned.

Lesson 1 When towing the boat over rough roads with a cover on, unplug the trolling motor. Somehow the motor got turned on and got VERY HOT because the cover kept the motor from turning. So hot that it melted the prop to the motor and the little shear pin was able to spin. When we got the prop off, the motor still turned. I had 2nd, 4th and 5th speed on 12 and 24v. Also the foot switch was on all the time. Everyone in our group was praying we could get it working. I was thinking I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours to find a new prop for my motorguide, a small price to pay to save a fishing trip. It also melted the cable for the transducer.

We looked out the window and the camp owner had a small Minn kota transom mount in with all the oars and stuff. one of the guys said maybe we can make the prop on that one work. So I went out and looked at it. My jaw dropped as I saw a Motorguide Machete II prop on the Minn Kota. :D We borrowed it for the rest of the trip. I took the foot switch off to take it apart and try to fix it but it was a sealed switch. A hard rap with a screwdriver handle fixed it. As the days passed I lost 2nd speed, then 4th speed.

Lesson 2

Do not apply sunscreen while using an already damaged trolling motor navigating in waters with huge rocks when you only have 5th speed. :angry: I saw it in time to stop the prop, I certianly didn't want to break a blade off it. An hour and a half of dis-assembly, bending, tweaking, and re-assembly we got it so it would turn. There is still a bulge in the outer tube, but its pretty straight.

With the abuse it took I'm going to buy a new trolling motor. I probobly could fix it but it might not be worth it in the end. I'll keep it for an emergency spare(for next years Canada trip):D.

Gene

gota love those kinda trips:lol: Where in canada were you? I'm headin to the thousand Islands here at the end of July for ten days, can't wait;)

We were near Chaplau, 2 or 3 hours NE of Sault Ste. Marie.

Gene

I forgot,

Lesson 3

Don't let friends drive damaged trolling motors. we were headed for another rock and the motor wouldn't turn. Obviously more pressure is needed....not! When he mashed down on the foot pedal, the crank handle on my Shimano Stradic gave way.:( If any one has one they don't need....or knows where I should order one let me know.

Gene

Latest posts

Back