Axle Condition - am I in trouble?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Need some experienced advice. I took the axle off my jon boat trailer when I noticed grease slinging on the inside of one of the wheels (obvious sign of a bad seal). I bought the whole set up earlier this summer to fish some of the smaller hp restricted lakes and the Upper Potomac where the PT175 wouldn't fit (nor would I risk!). Once I pulled the hubs off of both sides, I noticed the leaking side must have been this way for quite a while from the previous owner. Not only were there some pitted roller bearings and pretty scratched up races, the axle itself had some small scratches and blemishes. I was able to smooth down most of them wetsanding with 600 grit sandpaper. However, some minor gouges and scratches remain on the axle. By contrast, the other side without a leaking seal was flawless and shiny. I've got new bearings and races on order for the bad side and new seals for both. Question is do I need to get a new axle too? I'm new to this part of trailer maintenance so I'm not sure. But I hope not as a new axle would be another $100 or so!

Thanks much in advance - JC

As long as the new bearings slides on nice and easy you wont have a problem. The bearing does not turn on the axel surface.

BF

Jim - I really think that the whole thing has gone bad and you need to get rid of the trailer and jon boat as soon as possible. I would be more than happy to relieve you of the dire responsibilities of continuing with that responsibility. :D:D:D:D

Bill in VA

Bruce - thanks!! Ordered the parts so I'm just waiting for their arrival.

Bill - Good one! Although the boat will fish two so if you ever want to come up this way (I know, highly unlikely!), give me a shout. Speaking of which, when are we fishing together again (Anna, Potomac, whatever!)?

JC

Jim - I had the same problem just worse on my old Jon boat trailer in Texas. Came home one day from the 45 mile one way trip and found one of my wheels about OFF. Turns out the bearings must have blown out shortly before home, one set was completely toast. Just replaced the bearing and races on the bad side and kept her greased up, and she ran fine for 5 more years till I sold her in 2000.

Trep

Jim - Martie and I are going to the Outer Banks for a week starting this Saturday. When we get back I am available ANYTIME since the latest edition of the book is out and I have lots of free time. We will hook up and do lots of fishing (and catching).

Bill :lol:

Trep - thanks! That helps alleviate my concerns a lot. The scratches/gouges on the "bad" side of the axle are pretty minor. It appears that the races took the brunt of some scored roller bearings - and it took some pretty good whacks to get those races out!

Bill - have fun. Irene and I missed our OBX trip because of Carter's preference for a DisneyWorld trip. Instead of relaxing on the beach with nothing to do, we'll be chasing around a four year old as he goes from attraction to attraction. I'll NEED the fishing time by then!! :D:D

Dibs on going to OBX with Bill in VA!!!!! Nancy and I used to go every year, usually twice, but we haven't been ably to go since 2001. I really miss it and Nancy would move there if I'd let her.

Bill

Latest posts

Back